307 Owner Feedback

CBH IV

Reaction score
Hi all,

We currently have a 225 and have run it for 2 seasons now. It is probably the best all around 22ft boat out there. Performs great, it comfortable and has more room than most 22ft boats due to the motor bracket. Unfortunately, for most of our use we are just trying to put too many people on it and cruise around comfortably for a 22ft boat. That said we are seriously considering a 307. We went and looked at the 275, 285, and 307 a couple of weeks ago and once you see that 307 it is tough to go back. :p

Anyone here that currently or has owned a 307 and can provide the good, bad, and ugly? Things you liked best about it and things you wish Grady did differently? We are considering lift vs storing in a wet slip. Those that have kept it on a lift, was it a pain to use? If we do not go with a lift we would plan to wet slip April - December and store on land Jan - March as we are on the Chesapeake Bay and there isn't a whole lot going on during the doldrums of winter. I do understand that we need to take into account the extra maintenance costs for storing in a wet slip most of the year (bottom paint, haul out, etc)

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

HomeTeam

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
i'm around a year or two behind you. Have an '06 225. Love it but need more. Looking forward to seeing some responses here.

paydaze77

Reaction score
We have a 2021 307. Love the boat. Does everything I want from sandbars to offshore fishing. It’s wet slipped behind my house. I tried getting a lift but during Covid it was impossible so it broke my heart to bottom paint it.
My number one gripe is I feel there is a big lack of storage. Not sure if it’s across all the freedoms or not. But this is my first Grady and first freedom

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have a 306 Canyon (CC version of the 307 DC). It's an all around beast. Yes, it is a bit short on storage, but not so much so that it's an issue. I tend to try to travel light. The boat is very stable on the drift, very dry in all but the conditions that would make most any boat wet. I am happy with pretty much everything (bilge access in some spots is tight). My console is huge and provides ample space for the head, sink, some storage, etc. The high gunnels at the the safe feeling of the boat. While the fit and finish could be better in hidden areas, it is still pretty good. More importantly, the quality of components, vinyl, etc. seems to be quite good.

One of my dock neighbors has a 275 and another has a 307. They are both very happy with their boats.

scorow

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
We have a 2012 Freedom 307 and are very happy with it. I fish with it up to 30 miles offshore and it also works well to take friends to restaurants, etc., as my wife doesn't fish. Great dual purpose boat. It is stable, dry and feels very solid. My friend who has had multiple Whalers has commented several times that the Grady does better offshore (SW FL) than his boats.

The only downside "we" would say (and it would be my wife saying it) is that the aesthetics are a bit more "utilitarian" than some other "prettier/cushier" boats. But even she would take the solid feel and confidence offshore over the pretty boats. Because it is the largest boat that we have owned I was a bit concerned about the lack of a bow thruster (which others for sale at the time had). But I have never needed it or wished that I had one. The storage is ample for our needs. I have a hard time identifying negatives or things I would have Grady do better because it really fits the bill well for us. The newer models with side access ('dive") doors would be nice.

And to the OP's point - we were looking at another brand and just happened to take a look at a 307 because it was nearby. Once we saw it and compared the design and build head-to-head, it was obvious which way to go for us.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The hull is well proven and shared with other models. I think you will find the boat to be awesome.

CBH IV

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have been trying to keep my search to 307's that either have a bow thruster or HelmMaster just for the pure fact that this will likely be a boat that is kept for a long time and I don't want any regrets not getting the extras that could make boating/docking less stressful. Is anyone running the HelmMaster system? If so, thoughts on that paired with the 307? I have never operated a boat that is equipped with one nor have I operated a twin engine outboard boat.

I used to run a 37ft sportfish that had twin inboards so I am plenty comfortable with that. I just don't know how a twin outboard setup handles with the smaller props and closer spacing between the engines. Can you still split the sticks and make the boat pivot on itself with outboards?

MA208

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have been trying to keep my search to 307's that either have a bow thruster or HelmMaster just for the pure fact that this will likely be a boat that is kept for a long time and I don't want any regrets not getting the extras that could make boating/docking less stressful. Is anyone running the HelmMaster system? If so, thoughts on that paired with the 307? I have never operated a boat that is equipped with one nor have I operated a twin engine outboard boat.

I used to run a 37ft sportfish that had twin inboards so I am plenty comfortable with that. I just don't know how a twin outboard setup handles with the smaller props and closer spacing between the engines. Can you still split the sticks and make the boat pivot on itself with outboards?
Yes, the 30 footers will spin with opposing throttles. I still like having the bow thruster on mine though for when wind and current picks up. Never used a Helm master.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Twin-Engine Outboard handling:

If you have Helm Time with a 37 Twin Inboard Rig, you already understand the principles of close quarter twin-engine handling, therefore I will not expound on it.

Conversely, I have never docked or operated a Sportfish inboard rig, so I am in the same "boat" as you, but I can tell you about twin engine OB characteristics.

MA208 is correct. You can spin a twin-outboard boat the same as an inboard straight-shaft. The only difference that I've been told is that the inboards react much quicker due to the space between the props and the larger diameter of the wheels.

Outboards need to be revved up a bit sometimes during close-quarter maneuvering operations, especially if there's any opposing wind/current. EX: When approaching a slip on, say, your starboard side, and you want to stern in, you may want to lay into your outboard,(Port) engine a little to hasten the spin to line up your stern with the opening. Don't be afraid to rev them up! I have hit darn near 3 Grand when horsing my 232 Twin-Engine Gulfstream around tight quarters in windy circumstances. Don't worry the boat will go in the slip eventually.

Helm Master:
I have been aboard a couple boats that have had them and they are fine in reasonably calm dockside conditions. In winds generally over 15kts, the Captains have trouble with them keeping up with the "Sail Effect" when the winds hits their boat broadside. Helm Masters are like any boat option; some like them some don't.
If you could find a Helm Master-equipped Yamaha Package, (doesn't have to be a 307 Grady) pay the Captain something and have him/her take you out and demonstrate the Helm Master. That way, you know firsthand how it performs.

One more thought about bow thrusters & Hem Master equipped boats:

They are designed to be an Assist to Captains who are faced with challenging conditions to dock/maneuver in. They are not designed to be a crutch for inexperienced piloting. Obviously you have experience with your 37 footer, but many who buy thruster-equipped boats over-use them. Always learn how to dock your boat first.

paydaze77

Reaction score
we have the helm master on ours, i would not ever get another boat without... ive gotten in and out of some areas that i dont think could have been done without help docking. the crab walking is awesome and can't be done any other way...