30A Fuse not hooked up

Novah

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Been having trouble starting my 1997 Yamaha S175. My guess is the primer system is not functioning. When I push the key in, the solenoid clicks but the motor will not fire. At first, I was thinking I flooded it but not smelling gas, I thought fuel wasn't moving. A small spray of starting fluid and it starts and once started, runs fine all day.
So, I pull the cover and start trying to figure out the primer system. It is different from my Johnson GT150 and while poking around, I find the attached picture without a place for it to be hooked up to. What is this for?
Just to let you know, I had a waterpump serviced prior to this happening but I used the boat several times without any problems.
Thanks, Dave30a not hooked up.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does it start OK when you pull the manual choke lever? If so, then the solenoid that engages the choke might be the issue. I had a late 90s carb'ed 150 that had the same issue.

Novah

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
From what I can see, the solenoid is moving the choke linkage the same distance the manual choke does. Not sure where the fuel is supposed to come from. On my Johnson, the solenoid has a manifold like piece on it that sends a line to each carb to deliver fuel. The Yamaha solenoid doesn't have any fuel lines attached. What is the path that the fuel takes?

Novah

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
And no, it does not seem to make a difference if I pull the manual choke level or push the key in while cranking it over.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
A choke simply reduces the air entering the carb and doesn't change the fuel flow. A primer actually adds fuel. The whole idea is to enrich the starting air/fuel mixture. If there is a manual/solenoid activated choke it just closes a butterfly a bit. That 30A fuse is not likely to be anything related to your fuel/starting problem if the engine runs good once it is started. That is a very large amperage fuse. It is more likely to be an auxiliary charging cable. Check the voltage at that wire with battery on and key off, then key on, and then engine running. If it goes to 13-14 volts when the engine is running, then it comes from the alternator/voltage regulator. With regard to your starting problem, if the engine starts fine when the engine is warm/hot and the problem only exists when it is cold, then carb or fuel pumps may need to be rebuilt is choke is closing completely.