33 express generator

mornin' sun

Reaction score
just bought a new (for me 2007)33 express and according to the label on the electrical panel it said not to run the boat at cruise with the seacock open to the gen.. Now the question is here I am running to the cayon and want the ac or refrig on.. can't i run the gen? or do I run these off the batteries till Iam trolling??? Help..

Coconut330

Reaction score
I run mine all the time while running. No problems. If you have freezer plates or want to have AC Kinda stupid to have a gen and not be able to use it. I know other people who run theirs also. What did the previous owner do? Was there any problems?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
call gw and ask them about your specific year. for mine (2009) the genset can be run while underway, but the seacock CANNOT be left open underway if the genset is OFF. i have a pancake intake under the boat. i don't know if they used scoops earlier. they will tell you directly. ron

Reactions: loubeer

georgemjr

Reaction score
From what I understand the problem is not running while running the generator, it is running with the generator off, but the seacock open. This situation can allow water to back up through the exhaust of the generator. General rule: run the generator whenever you want, but always close the seacock when you turn it off.

seabob4

Reaction score
Generators should never have high speed, or "scoop" type pickups for the intake, and I'm sure GW installed the correct intake t/hull, with an external strainer. I think they are worried that, regardless of the correct install, some water could be forced up into the intake, past the pump, and some how make it into the gennie cylinder head. I doubt that will happen...

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
georgemjr said:
From what I understand the problem is not running while running the generator, it is running with the generator off, but the seacock open. This situation can allow water to back up through the exhaust of the generator. General rule: run the generator whenever you want, but always close the seacock when you turn it off.

That is correct.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seabob4 said:
Generators should never have high speed, or "scoop" type pickups for the intake, and I'm sure GW installed the correct intake t/hull, with an external strainer. I think they are worried that, regardless of the correct install, some water could be forced up into the intake, past the pump, and some how make it into the gennie cylinder head. I doubt that will happen...

There is NO high speed pick up, but they give you the warning "just in case" might have a problem, but should not be a problem anyway. They use the same type of seacock for the live well(s) and even with the live well motor shut and the seacock open, i never get water in the live well. But for a good measure keep the gennie seacock closed when not using. Well, keep all the seacocks closed when not using.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I run mine all the time while under way. If you have it open and not running it has the possibilty to "hydro lock ".. I installed a fresh water flush system on my Gen, forgot to open the valve when flushing once and the fresh water backed up into the gen.. Locked it up tight..Had to pull the injector to free it up. No damage but if it had been salt water it could have been a different story.

JoleGW33

Reaction score
generator

can I run my gen while running? i heard that if air gets in the system it could cause the engine to overheat because it would not be able to suck in water.

Is this common?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: generator

JoleGW33 said:
can I run my gen while running? i heard that if air gets in the system it could cause the engine to overheat because it would not be able to suck in water.

Is this common?
Yes, you can run the gennie while underway. If she is plumed correct you should not get air in the system.

seabob4

Reaction score

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
JoleGW33 said:

Is this common?
Yes, you can run the gennie while underway. If she is plumed correct you should not get air in the system.

X2. We run ours at 50+ MPH...

JoleGW33

Reaction score

seabob4 said:
JoleGW33 said:

Is this common?

thanks for the info! what kind of gen are you running? and in what GW?

gulfcart

Reaction score
I've run mine for days at a time when on fishng trips.. Never missed a beat.. Ditto at 40+ mile an hour.. Never a problem. 33 Express with a Panda. 600 + hours on the gen.

seabob4

Reaction score

JoleGW33 said:
seabob4 said:
JoleGW33 said:

Is this common?

Proline 32 Express, 5KW Westerbeke. Pickup about 5' fwd of the transom...

JoleGW33

Reaction score

seabob4 said:
JoleGW33 said:
seabob4 said:
JoleGW33 said:

Is this common?

Proline 32 Express, 5KW Westerbeke. Pickup about 5' fwd of the transom...

Ok Thanks, hope everything stays well, I have a Panda on my GW 33express

seabob4

Reaction score
We used to do Panda 3s on our 29...no problem. Switched over to Westerbeke 3s so we didn't need the diesel tank, and all the control boxes that come with the Panda...

Fin-Allie

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
u need to close the sea cock if running the boat and the gen, is not running so water dont push into the cylinder thru the exhaust .

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I forgot to close the seacock several times on my 330 with a factory plumbed FP without any problems. But it died of other natural causes after 20 years and I replaced it with an inverter system. LOVE the inverter -- best upgrade I've done.