33 Express, How do you Change Cockpit Drain Hoses

GEOO

Reaction score
I need help... I have a 2007 33 Express. the cockpit drain hoses are badly cracked and I need to change them. The port side can be reached if I remove 4 batteries, battery select switches, fuel select switches etc..
The two (floor) cockpit drains on the starboard side are not reachable. I have a access hole under the cockpit shower hose in the gunnel, not able to reach the drain or the thru hull fitting to change hose. If I put 2nd access hole down lower on the rear gunnel I may be able to reach the thru hull fitting but not the other end of the hose on the floor drain.
I have called Grady White and a few Dealers, everyone is very nice but no feasible solution yet.

Attachments

• NCM_0026.JPG
    NCM_0026.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,722
  • NCM_0027.JPG
    NCM_0027.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 3,719

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is amazing. They should not look like that after 7 years in the dark... Must have been made from that cheap China rubber.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I agree. Grady should stand behind them and offer solution. I will be checking mine closely this Spring as I have a 2006 330. Perhaps caused by ice? Good news is they are not under pressure.

Harley349

Reaction score
When I purchased a used Seafarer 226, the surveyor was concerned about the checking on the drain hoses. I put replacing them on the list of things that needed to be replaced before I would buy the boat. The dealer worked on them for a while and could not figure out how to easily replace them so did a pressure test on each one to determine if the were sound and not leaking. I watched this process, each hose was plugged and then pressurized with air up to 25 psi. Not one hose leaked. I would suggest you consider doing a pressure test on the hoses to see if they leak, and if not let them be.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I agree with the Post above. Plug the outside of the through hulls with large corks or rubber plugs (I got mine at the local HW Store). From your deck, fill the scuppers with water. Then determine if they are leaking. I did this and found them to be 100% fine.

If you really have to replace them - you might be able to reach them if you remove the genset access hatch. Good luck!

GEOO

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. The hoses are standard type hoses all the manufactures use. I had to replace all the hose in my last boat a 28 Hydra Sport Walk Around. I was able to access all of them. The hoses in my Grady don't leak yet, but I like to do overnight fishing trips 120 miles out in the canyons and I don't feel comfortable knowing the hoses are a possible weak link.

HMBJack

Reaction score
"I like to do overnight fishing trips 120 miles out in the canyons and I don't feel comfortable knowing the hoses are a possible weak link."

Yeah - me too (but on the West Coast at half the distance).

That's why you need these 2 things: (1) those corks and plugs I spoke of (for insurance), and (2) a High Water alarm. I mounted my sensor in the aft bilge just above the genset and A/C sea cocks (but below the bottom of the genset). Safety wise for those trips, I assume you already have a Class B AIS as well. Right?

GEOO

Reaction score
Yeh, two high water alarms bow and stern, AIS class B Transponder, offshore lift raft, EPIRB, offshore flares, Sat Weather, SAT phone (to check in with wife?!?!) working on installing larger, better battery situation & inverter.

GEOO

Reaction score
So do I ... Only get out fishing offshore a couple times a year. Have safety stuff for family trips too.

Wally World

Reaction score
I almost chuckled when I read your post. I purchased my 2002 330 express last year in Alabama and brought it up to NJ. The survey came back as a must replace the same hoses. The dealer down there called me with the same questions. He could not access them.

Then he called back with a solution:
We cut in 6' access panels behind the transom on the vertical portion by the shore power hook up. They were not on the same surface of the shore power plug, but on the opposite area. Worked like a charm and the access panels are there to routinely check going forward. It was the only bright idea they had at that marina. Just make sure you get the OEM Grady access panels so the colors match. They look great. Ill post pics when I go there again under the shrinkwrap.