33 express rocket launcher Pedestal

Lucky13

Reaction score
anyone have a rocket launcher on a pedestal in the cockpit. Really want to do it but concerned it will make the cockpit to cramped. thinking something like this and thinking as far to the helm as I can so not crowded when bench seat is down.

1614099989517.png

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I had one on my 2003 330 and had a love/hate relationship with it. Really liked having the extra rod holders but hated how much room it took up at times. A lot depended on how many people I had on the trip, more than 3 and I think it was a pain. Was nice to have the option and it came on/off fairly easy.Transom1.jpg

Fishing Trip7.jpg

Reactions: Uncle Joe

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've thought about it off and on for mine. Need the rod storage for offshore, but it is in the way at other times. Leaning towards adding a rocket launcher off of the roof, but obvious downside is the height.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Had my 330 for over 10 years now (model year 2006).

When I first bought the bought, it had a rectangle shaped table with 4 rod holders and 2 cup holders in the table.
Made by Birdsall Marine in FL. I took one look at it and said it's got to go.

Now, I can't live without it! It holds fishing tools, rags, bait container, glasses, drinks, rods, gaffs, etc. - all perfectly Centric to the cockpit within reach of everything. In rough seas, it also helps giving folks something to hang onto or at least bump into when getting moved around. I like a table better than a simple and small rocket launcher as it is more versatile because it's a tad larger but not too large. And, if you want it off for some reason, remove 3 bolts and it's gone.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330

When I first bought the bought, it had a rectangle shaped table with 4 rod holders and 2 cup holders in the table.

Now, I can't live without it! It holds fishing tools, rags, bait container, glasses, drinks, rods, gaffs, etc. - all perfectly Centric to the cockpit within reach of everything. In rough seas, it also helps giving folks something to hang onto or at least bump into when getting moved around. I like a table better than a simple and small rocket launcher as it is more versatile because it's a tad larger but not too large. And, if you want it off for some reason, remove 3 bolts and it's gone.
Pictures? How does it attach to the deck?

Lucky13

Reaction score

do you have any pictures?

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I've thought about it off and on for mine. Need the rod storage for offshore, but it is in the way at other times. Leaning towards adding a rocket launcher off of the roof, but obvious downside is the height.

I added a removable 5 rod rocket launcher on the transom of mine - can see the rods in the 2nd pic. Just needed to remember to take it off before lifting the engines. Got the rod holder from PalmettoTrooper on THT with the V slots.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
do you have any pictures?

We made up something similar, just cup holders for wine/cheese cruises but no reason you couldn't also add some rod holders. Was a stock round piece of lumber from HD, maybe 18" in diameter and we cut 4 cup holders into it and sealed with poly. Used the same base as the rocket launcher and just pulled it off and replaced based on trip use. It also worked great in the helm area while at the dock/anchor, put captains chair on the electronics pod and that table would sit on the stem - create a lot more open space for relaxing. Sorry, no pics of that.

HMBJack

Reaction score
The one that I have seems to have been discontinued by Birdsall Marine.
I have a rectangular shaped Table that is I'd say 2X the size of this item in the below link.
If you notice, at the base, three large allen head bolts removes it.
It has a separate mounting plate that you through bolt through the deck a little forward of the rear access hatch to the stern (main) fuel tank. This mounting plate has 3 threaded holes to accept the 3 Allen head bolts you see in the photo.

Not sure if you can see this, but here is a photo of my table

Last edited:

Wannderer

Reaction score
Release marine 4” no bolt pedestal. Teak 4 rod launcher with bait tray, two cup holders and tackle drawer. Bait tray nonskid clear coat. Thing is rock solid and everyone loves it. Have the release helm chair too.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I added a removable 5 rod rocket launcher on the transom of mine - can see the rods in the 2nd pic. Just needed to remember to take it off before lifting the engines. Got the rod holder from PalmettoTrooper on THT with the V slots.

I've seen the transom rod holders, and that would help for sure, but my main issue is to have a way to remove rods from cockpit when fishing offshore. Putting them on the transom will get in way when fighting larger fish. The removable part of yours would resolve the other issue I have with them in that location - we often overnight, and have to enter/exit boat between engines and transom, which is tight enough already.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've seen the transom rod holders, and that would help for sure, but my main issue is to have a way to remove rods from cockpit when fishing offshore. Putting them on the transom will get in way when fighting larger fish. The removable part of yours would resolve the other issue I have with them in that location - we often overnight, and have to enter/exit boat between engines and transom, which is tight enough already.

I ended up adding 4 holders to the hard top supports to use for this exact issue... https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/easy-addition-of-4-rod-holders-to-330-express.31013/

Reactions: kirk a

Wannderer

Reaction score
I would get a birdsall unit and get the deck plate. Save you about $4k vs the release. The release has a deck plate to allow for removal but in has a bump in the middle of the plate where you could jam your toes. Release does make a flush mount plate to alleviate that issue but pedestal isn’t super easy to remove. Like the other guy said. 3 screws and your launcher is off. You could probably even pay somebody to to route out the thickness of the plate to recess the deck plate. Or you could even have a custom plate made, route out the thickness of the plate. And have the plate non skidded with gelcoat or paint or something

Wannderer

Reaction score
Don’t forget there is a thick aluminum plate glasses in that panel. If you stick your hand under the deck plate on the aft side of my launcher you can feel the bevel of where the plate starts.

Grumpygrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
330 express here - added a rack to the transom for 5 rods; and a removeable rack across the top.

The top rack goes into the two top holders and is removable - i put it in to fish and take out to cruise. I use 2 cotter pins.

I custom engineered it a bit for the right height for me - you can do the same. This gives me 12 across the top replacing 2.

You can see from the photo how it spreads out.

good luck Grumpy

Attachments

• STILL GRUMPY ROD RACK.JPG
    STILL GRUMPY ROD RACK.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 22

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
@Grumpygrady pretty good idea, especially considering the overhang of roof makes putting offshore trolling rods in "correctly" impossible. Just gets to my OCD to see a pretty gold reel all upside down or sideways ;)

HMBJack

Reaction score
I think "Grumpy" needs more rod holders.

30 is not enough. You need at least 50 or 60. Just sayin...

Grumpygrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
HMB Jack - i like how you think.

Kirk A - Actually those roof rods fit fine spun around the 'right' way. Actually, I usually run them opposite what is in the picture - but my crew that day likes them spun backwards as they can adjust the spacing (add / take back line) on the planers more easily when they are backwards. Since I just drink beer, I let them...

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
@Grumpygrady - i was referring to fitting my 50's the right way in the upper holder. I had not even noticed your rods set up that way. LOL