33 Express

Northshore Waterman

Reaction score
looking to upgrade from a 22’ center console to the 33 Express. I would like to buy an older hull with a more recent repower. Any feedback on this boat from owners would be appreciated
Thanks

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Do a search on google: Express 330 site:greatgrady.com that will get you started. Then update the search to add in specific criteria.

Specific questions are a lot easier to answer. There are a ton of 330 owners who have posted here or are still posting here, with all manners of boats.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I have owned a 330 express with 250 yamahas since 2001 and I still enjoy using it. I mostly bottom fish in the Gulf of Mexico within 100 miles or less from shore. I am able to run at 32 mph under most sea conditions without beating everyone up too much and that speed gets me around 1 mpg. With a seasoned fishing crew we can fish six fairly comfortably but only four if newbies who don't know how to keep lines untangled. The boat is stored in a dry storage rack and has had few issues.

Issues include:
Wiring could be much better, the harness leading to the hard top corroded and failed while I was overnight fishing. Fortunately I carry spare wire and connectors and I jumped power to my hard top for critical electronics.
The topside cap to hull opened up allowing water intrusion in rough seas. Grady paid for repair.
The FP generator raw water pump leaked from day one
Lots of cockpit screws are of less than great marine grade SS and many have rusted.
The anchor windlass is mounted too far forward in the pre 2008 (I think that is the year they more the windlass abaft) models causing the anchor rode to pile against the bow and not fall to the bottom of the rode locker.
Unless you are tall, the helm seat is a bit low on the pre 2008 models.

I could list several more but these would be more nit-picking instead of real issues.

What do I not like...
Limited fishing related storage
The deep V rocks significantly in of Gulf chop.
Limited ice capacity (newer models have cooler plates in fish locker)
390 Gal of fuel limits fishing range some times.
The side profile catches a stiff wind.
Could use windshield defroster

What I do like:
Great ride
Dry ride (I don't remove front curtains)
Adequate sleeping quarters when FP generator worked (I have since replace the FP with another more simple to repair genset)
Adequate size freshwater tank
Adequate waste holding tank
Large hardtop with curtains allow us to escape heavy rains and keeps you dry on occasions when weather reports were WRONG and and you plow your way home in 6 foot headseas.
The retractable instrument mount.

I might be able to offer more if I understood how you dream you might use your 330. I would NOT enjoy more than two nights and more than four people unless docked and with nearby services/supplies. I did not enjoy trailering and launching/loading the boat like I did for the first year I owned it.

I am older now, retired, and have more leisure time. My current dream boat would be one of the big heavy slow tuna boats you see on Wicked Tuna. I could carry supplies and water and could make ice and stay out for a week at a time. My son on the other hand, would choose the 376 Canyon with triple 425's or, heaven forbid on this forum, a 39 ST Contender.

Lots of experience so please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Reactions: PointedRose

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just so happens I listed mine last night on the forum
Its in the for sale forum

billyttpd

Reaction score
I have owned a 330 express with 250 yamahas since 2001 and I still enjoy using it. I mostly bottom fish in the Gulf of Mexico within 100 miles or less from shore. I am able to run at 32 mph under most sea conditions without beating everyone up too much and that speed gets me around 1 mpg. With a seasoned fishing crew we can fish six fairly comfortably but only four if newbies who don't know how to keep lines untangled. The boat is stored in a dry storage rack and has had few issues.

Issues include:
Wiring could be much better, the harness leading to the hard top corroded and failed while I was overnight fishing. Fortunately I carry spare wire and connectors and I jumped power to my hard top for critical electronics.
The topside cap to hull opened up allowing water intrusion in rough seas. Grady paid for repair.
The FP generator raw water pump leaked from day one
Lots of cockpit screws are of less than great marine grade SS and many have rusted.
The anchor windlass is mounted too far forward in the pre 2008 (I think that is the year they more the windlass abaft) models causing the anchor rode to pile against the bow and not fall to the bottom of the rode locker.
Unless you are tall, the helm seat is a bit low on the pre 2008 models.

I could list several more but these would be more nit-picking instead of real issues.

What do I not like...
Limited fishing related storage
The deep V rocks significantly in of Gulf chop.
Limited ice capacity (newer models have cooler plates in fish locker)
390 Gal of fuel limits fishing range some times.
The side profile catches a stiff wind.
Could use windshield defroster

What I do like:
Great ride
Dry ride (I don't remove front curtains)
Adequate sleeping quarters when FP generator worked (I have since replace the FP with another more simple to repair genset)
Adequate size freshwater tank
Adequate waste holding tank
Large hardtop with curtains allow us to escape heavy rains and keeps you dry on occasions when weather reports were WRONG and and you plow your way home in 6 foot headseas.
The retractable instrument mount.

I might be able to offer more if I understood how you dream you might use your 330. I would NOT enjoy more than two nights and more than four people unless docked and with nearby services/supplies. I did not enjoy trailering and launching/loading the boat like I did for the first year I owned it.

I am older now, retired, and have more leisure time. My current dream boat would be one of the big heavy slow tuna boats you see on Wicked Tuna. I could carry supplies and water and could make ice and stay out for a week at a time. My son on the other hand, would choose the 376 Canyon with triple 425's or, heaven forbid on this forum, a 39 ST Contender.

Lots of experience so please ask and I'll do my best to answer.
I'll bite lol Contender makes one hell of a boat. Fished on a 31 with twin 300s......Rocket ship.

Reactions: PointedRose

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have owned a 2003 for over 12 years. Recently re-powered to twin 4.2 Liter 250 Yamahas. For the most part, I agree with Gulfisher's assessment of the boat. I reside in SoCal, so I haven't had the rust problems, no complaints about the anchor locker, I changed out the transom cap before any water intrusion, and my Kohler generator is still going strong with no leaks. For hard core tuna fishing, probably a good idea to mount a kill bag on the transom, especially for ice storage. I agree that the boat is a good weekender for up to five people who know each other VERY well. I would also add that the boat is very comfortable for taking four to five people fishing - nice to have everyone in the helm area and out of the weather. Overall, I have been very happy with the boat. Sure, I've thought about bigger, faster and more comfortable boats - but there is a cost to every added foot, HP and extra amenity and I'm happy with where I'm at.

Michael M

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Think every aspect through. Do your home work. That’s a significant jump from a 21’ CC to a 33’ express. We’re going the other way , 35’ Cabo Flybridge to a 271 Canyon. It’s time for us to downsize as the kids are all married and it’s hard to get everyone together.

Bigger isn’t always better and It’s more of everything.
If you’re ready , you’re ready. Do it and have fun.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ve had my ‘04 for almost 3 seasons. I like it so much I repowered it. It’s a beast of a boat. Stepping up from a 22’ CC to a 330 certainly cures 2 footitis! Kind of like killing a fly with a 12 gauge but still gets the job done :D

mfl1375

Reaction score
I have a 2004 with twin 300’s upgraded in 2012. I am on the west coast, I have owned a 24’ well craft coastal, a 23 seaswirl striker, and a 24 sea ray. The 33 Grady will make you thank the engineering gods that created it. Definitely more to operate. I use knots, and we run .9 at the best. We have a mini tower with controls. It is a boat. Replaced the fuel tanks recently. But normal stuff. But came back in 5’ seven second period swells today at a cross angle at 12-20 knts. We usually cruise at 25knts in most conditions, sometimes cruise at 28-29. The queen sleeper under the helm is the most comfortable place to sleep anywhere. My kids get straight on the boat at cruise and crash when we make our cruise out anywhere from 30-90 miles out. I have fished a lot of boats. I understand why Grady has a reputation.

Lonewolf2731

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Love our 33 express. Its 2001 and there are some things I would change, but we just repowered with 2 Yamaha 300 hp motors. Runs great!

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Replaced the fuel tanks recently.
I found "nearby" a 2009 330 Express with 2018 F300 and a bit more far in Corsica a pristine 2005 Pursuit 3370.
Even if the Pursuit looks really perfect maintained but old 225 Hondas, after I saw a video about replacing the fuel tanks cutting and reglassing the whole floor I think thats not what I want as it seems I am doomed with leaking fuel tanks.

How difficult was replacing the fuel tanks?

Chris