330 AC Pump Replacement

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a new AC pump coming this week, and plan to swap out this coming weekend. hoping for a reasonably straightforward repair. One unknown right now is the wiring - where are the splices/connection to the pump? Has anyone else done this DIY and have advice or helpful hints to make job easier?

Replacing the hosing from seacock to strainer and strainer to pump as well.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I've done both the pump and the hose, all very easy and straightforward. You should find either plug in connectors or more likely a butt splice from panel to the pump wire in the bilge. Very likely that pump has been replaced before. Hire an octopus to access everything if you have a generator installed.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks, the new pump came with approximately a 6' cord, and I'm hoping to find some sort of a junction box in the battery area. There is a generator, but sadly the Octopus crew is booked for the foreseeable future, so it is up to me. At least I can see the pump. ;)

nodima

Reaction score
Returned from this task, a bit discouraged, but with a working AC unit. I believe the pump in the boat may have been original. I was not able to trace back the wire any further than the bulkhead it disappeared into. Even removing the two forward batteries did not allow me to find it I ended up cutting the cord on the old pump about 6" from the pump. I then was able to butt join the wires and support them high on the bulkhead holding the battery charger. I'll need to go back and redo the connections better, but the local WM had next to no wiring supplies.

I'd be curious to see how other boats have had this connection made - as I'd want it to be safe (duh) and also not something someone looks at in a survey and says 'what a moron'. I have a solid sense of wiring for DC, and may be overthinking this, but given it is AC, what is the right method? Butt connectors with head shrink tubing, some sort of a terminal strip with heat shrink ring connectors, or something else completely?