330 Bolster Attachment Ideas

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I try to remove my gunnel bolsters when not in use and looking for a way to attach them besides the screws through the grommets. Scout puts theirs on with short SS tabs that screw into the fiberglass. Much easier to install and remove. I've tried velcro backing glued to the fiberglass with mixed results. Lately I've left them simply hooked on the retainers, but when someone accidentally pulls up on them they can come loose. Doesn't happen often, but not the best. Looking for a way to design/attach a SS tab, but the bolsters are flush with the bottom edge of the combing. Wonder if later Gradys have a better attachment method. Getting to the screws through the foam is tricky and far from ideal. Ideas?

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same. My boat will be moored until Nov. and that is a bunch of seagull poop. I'd rather remove them but need some way to secure them.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Instead of the screws you could use a sailcloth needle and pass a piece of 130# dacron line through the screw hole and around the lower edge of the fiberglass gunnel, tying a cinched loop to hold it from sliding up off the hooks. When you need to remove it just snip the dacron and use new line next time.

Reactions: Meanwhile

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here is my current plan. Attach a 1" velcro loop strap about 6" long to the backside of the bolster with monel staples. Glue or staple another 1" hook velcro strap on the under side of the gunnel in the same location relative to the bolster. Use a couple of those straps to hold the bolster down. Easy to remove and fairly well secured. For the other bolsters, I'll use Scout's method of a small SS tab that screws into the fiberglass.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Had my pads redone, she sowed Velcro, soft side, on back of pads where the screws came thru pads, then used these discs with screw back in the same hole on gunnel, great. About 2-2.5" diameter. No glue they are hard pads.
1591829836421.png

Lsquared

Reaction score
Silverton used z clips. Real easy on/off after I redid the bolsters on that boat

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I originally tried the velcro dots, but found the bolsters difficult to remove since the bolsters are very snug against the fiberglass and not really wide enough to pry the velcro off enough to pull the bolster up and off the hooks. I had to "scrub" the velcro off to get them loose. It might have been better to put the velcro attachments at the very bottom along the edge, but I'm trying the strap system this week.

Reactions: Meanwhile

seasick

Reaction score
I suppose that if you wanted to remove the bolsters regularly, you could fabricate short stainless strips with a hooked top edge and a hole on the other end and make a few slits into the backing of the bolsters to 'hook' the bent end of the strip into the backing. The clips would extend a small distance below the bottom edge of the bolster and be secured with a screw.
I suppose that if my bolsters were somewhat easy to remove, I might do so for winter layup season.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My gunnel bolsters extend slightly below the fiberglass , hanging slightly into the rod holder space, so there is nothing to attach the SS tabs to. For my others, tuna door, seat back. etc. I plan to do exactly as you suggest.