330 Express and Electronics

fmasse

Reaction score
I am about to give up on waiting for the new Furuno 3D Navnets for my 2008 330 express and am considering going with the Norhtstar 6100I units. Does anyone know if there is enough clearance for the wider face of the these units in the hydraulic electronic compartment ?

Also, any feedback on these units as opposed to Raymarine, etc..

Thanks,

Frank

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure about the size, but Northstar gps's are the BEST out there and the most reliable, better then anything out there. Their radar's have gotten much better and can compete with most out there and their fish finders are quality. I would go with northstar over raymarine without thinking twice. I work for a large boat builder and a friend works for a company installing electronics on the boats, most boats leave with Furuno gearand a northstar GPS, a decent number have all northstar gear and far less with furuno. the other brand we see a bit if Simrad, but they are very pricey for what you get IMHO but have great sounders. If I redo the electronics on my 265 Express I'm going with a Furuno FF seperate from everything else, and then a Radar GPS combo from Furuno, with a transom transducer as my back up, and then a Northstar GPS as my main GPS. I do not run radar all the time, so when I do I would run my GPS and radar togeather with overlay. Just my 2 cents but that seems to be how the Big boys rig their boats.

magadellena

Reaction score
330 electronics

I had a 330 with furuno and upgraded to the 08 330 and put in Garmin. I have had Garmin, Furuno, and Raymarine. Had all kinds of problems with Raymarine. Garmin by far is the most user friendly and I don't miss Furuno at all. I hear Northstar is great, but question the cost. I like the XM weather.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I have all Furuno equipment in my 2008 33 express. I also asked about the 3D. They told me mid summer!! I opted for the Nav Net with Radar, FF, Sirius weather and a TR-1 Auto pilot. I have 2 -10" screens. I have a back up unit -a 1197SI Combo by Humminbird with 10" screen mounted in the electronics cabinet overhead.- Great unit by the way. Side scans up to 150'. This unit has 2 transducers transom mounted.

The Furuno uses a in hull 1KW unit.

It all works great. I use a C Map card for the Furuno and a Navionics for the 1197.

Fintango

Reaction score
I have the Northstar 6000i GPS and a Furuno NavNet on my 33 express. I have to take the cover off of the Northstar to get the Electronics station to close so I leave it off. I only have the GPS on the Northstar but have GPS, radar and fish finder on the NavNet. I only use the Furuno GPS as an overlay on the radar. You will be happy with the Northstar.