330 Express Batteries

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
May need to replace some batteries (there are 4) and wondering what everyone is using in their 330s?

Capt Don

Reaction score
Replaced mine with West Marine brand but almost any will do the trick.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was able to just barely cram in four Group 31 AGMs, (Sam's Club Duracell, which go on sale 2x a year) which is great for capacity but I think that has contributed to a bit of a list at rest....

I left them configured as two banks of two, although longer term I may reconfig as start/start/house.

Last edited:

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was able to just barely cram in four Group 31 AGMs, (Sam's Club Duracell, which go on sale 2x a year) which is great for capacity but I think that has contributed to a bit of a list at rest....

I left them configured as two banks of two, although longer term I may reconfig as start/start/house.
Funny you say that cause I now have a slight list. Never noticed it before replacing the batteries. So little weight compared to everything else but it seems to be enouh to give a slight list. Oh well!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am able to buy Deka group 31s locally for 129.99 each. I put two deep cycles on one switch (bank) and two starting on the other switch (bank). I use the DCs at anchor overnight and they still start the selected engine in the morning, even if the generator is not used to power the charger. The start bank is backup in case the DCs go down and only used to start the selected engine. I also have a slight list to port with the livewell empty.

nuketech007

Reaction score
I was looking into this as well. Thinking of doing the deka 27m6 starting batteries or the deka dp27. It's interesting that lowes actually sells the dp27 for a lot cheaper. i did contact grady and i was going to put a starting (m6) and the dp27 as one bank, and the same on bank 2. as long as you're not mixing different types of batteries i.e. gel with flooded and etc.

only reason i was considering doing the m6 and pairing it with the dp27 is the f300 supposedly works well with the m6. don't know if that's true, but i believe that's what grady are using for all new 330 boats.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was looking into this as well. Thinking of doing the deka 27m6 starting batteries or the deka dp27. It's interesting that lowes actually sells the dp27 for a lot cheaper. i did contact grady and i was going to put a starting (m6) and the dp27 as one bank, and the same on bank 2. as long as you're not mixing different types of batteries i.e. gel with flooded and etc.

only reason i was considering doing the m6 and pairing it with the dp27 is the f300 supposedly works well with the m6. don't know if that's true, but i believe that's what grady are using for all new 330 boats.
I wouldn't mix two different type batteries in the same bank, even though they are the same size/brand. Dual purpose batteries have significantly different characteristics than starting batteries.

nuketech007

Reaction score
I wouldn't mix two different type batteries in the same bank, even though they are the same size/brand. Dual purpose batteries have significantly different characteristics than starting batteries.
I agree with you and I thought it was interesting that Grady was ok with mixing the a starter and a deep cycle. They were more worried about the different types of batteries (gel,agm, and flooded)versus the different types of flooded batteries. So how would you charge the house batteries if you’ve selected say bank 2 as your starter?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I agree with you and I thought it was interesting that Grady was ok with mixing the a starter and a deep cycle. They were more worried about the different types of batteries (gel,agm, and flooded)versus the different types of flooded batteries. So how would you charge the house batteries if you’ve selected say bank 2 as your starter?
[/Q
On my boat there is no dedicated "house" battery bank. My starboard battery switch is connected directly and provides power to the "house." I can power the house from either bank or both simply by selecting the starboard battery switch to either # 1 or #2 or both. My #1 bank are starting batteries and my #2 bank are deep cycle. The starboard battery switch is connected to the house bus and the starboard engine starting and charging. I can't change that. I typically connect my starboard battery switch (house and starboard engine) to my #2 battery bank of deep cycles, so the house is normally powered by deep cycle batteries and charged by the starboard engine when underway. The port battery switch is connected to the port engine starting and charging bus only and cannot provide "house" power. Think of the switches as bus selectors. Depending on what battery bank you have selected on each switch, that bank (#1, #2 or both) is charged by which ever engine (switch) is selected to that bank. If you selected #1 on the starboard switch, the starboard engine charges the #1 batteries. If you select #2 or both on the starboard switch, then the starboard engine charges #2 or both. In port with shore power connected or anchored with the generator providing AC power to the battery charger, both banks are being charged as my charger is connected directly to both banks regardless of switch position, even if the switches are off. I don't run the battery charger at the same time the engines are running since charging a bank with two different charging sources (engine output and battery charger output) at the same time is not good, particularly given the modern "smart" chargers. During overnights at anchor, my starting battery bank is charged underway, but not used at all except to start the port engine in the morning. Hope that helps.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I also used interstate Group 29s a few year ago, but they were more expensive than the Dekas.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
For your start batts, you should really follow the engine manufacturer recommendation. I have interstate starts and duracell, all AGM for my house bank.