330 Express Bridge Outrigger Clearance Question

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a new to me 2006 330 Express with 28' Lee outriggers mounted on the side of the cabin. Does anyone know what my bridge clearance is?

Thanks,

2 Little Time

Reaction score
Our boat with similar Rupp outriggers required about 25 feet for clearance.

Easy way to measure it is to put a small cord in the outrigger clip and run it up the outrigger while in the stowed position. Then measure the length of that cord from the outrigger tip to the water surface.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't think your riggers are 28', as Lee doesn't make them in 28' . It's more than likely MX Series 25' poles on the MX series fold down holders. Google those models and see if that is what they look like. If so, the tip of the rigger in stowed position is 24' from the water line. As 2 little time said, run a string up the long rigger.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You are correct. They are the 24' single spreader outriggers. I have to go under one bridge to get to the inlet, and it is 20' of clearance, and it only opens between 7am and 7pm for recreational vessels. I am guessing I just have to drop the outriggers while going under when I leave to go fishing at 5am?

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure if you mean drop them horizontal, like for trolling or drop them back by releasing the pin in the tension rod. I'll tell you now dropping them back is tricky, they only fall back so much and then they naturally push outward, you would almost have to tie then together with a rope across the cockpit or to the hardtop tubing, so they dont fall. You'll have to verify what i just said next time you are on the boat. I ran into this challenge once when i needed to clear a bridge i thought was higher than it was and i couldnt achieve what i thought i could by dropping them back.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, I was referring to dropping them down like I was trolling. Not sure how else I could do it. I can't be the only one with this problem, so I am guessing someone has a method.

Thanks,

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have the horizontal clearance to do this, then go for it. Personally, faced with the same challenge, I would just replace the outrigger system - either by getting the carbon fiber retractable ones that fit the existing holders or going all out and replacing the whole system and going hardtop mounted retractable poles. The Lee carbon fiber retractable ones in 20' are relatively inexpensive - if i remember correctly they are under $1,000 - call Lee directly to inquire, i was surprised by the price when i called to replace the riggers on my old 265. You can make some $ back selling the existing ones.

The 20' are of course shorter than the 24' triple rigged. Not sure where you are located and therefore your trolling techniques, but up here in the NE (NY,NJ), I came to the conclusion that for what we are doing up here, I dont need anything longer than a 16-18' outrigger set. These wide tracker spreader bars that everyone is using up here are such a game changer that you really do not nee the 24' + triple rigged outfits anymore - at least not for what the type of tune fishing we are doing.