330 Express- Cockpit Bimini

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Has anyone installed something like this? We are in a covered slip, but would love one of these when hanging out at the beach or on cruises.
Mike

Attachments

• 6193867_20170404184452740_1_LARGE.jpg
    6193867_20170404184452740_1_LARGE.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 417

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Have not done that specific thing, but have installed plenty of bimini's. What is your question about it? It's pretty straight forward, though. Do you have an existing canvas enclosure (or at least the track) on the aft end of your hardtop? Match up the bimini to that (take bimini to local upholsterer to sew it in), mount the legs, mount the hold-down straps. Easy peasy.

Or... Do it the redneck way. Take two 12' poles, wrap a tarp around the poles, covering about 8' of the poles. Lay the other 4' on your hardtop and secure.

Or... Check out SureShade. Careful, you might like it! :)

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Dennis,
No track there , but just trying to do it with minimal hardware/holes. Not much for the poles in the rod-holder idea, LOL! After my upholstery guy gets done with the inside cushions, I will check with him.

I checked out sureshade. It looks nice, but does not seem like much more coverage for all that added complexity and I am sure, expense.
Thanks,
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, I figured you'd get a kick out of the redneck way! What I forgot to mention is the poles get duct taped to the hardtop (no hardware!) and the tarp that is used must be, of course, a blue tarp from Walmart!

No, the Sureshade doesn't necessarily add more coverage - just a whole lot of convenience and it is awful darn cool! Wasn't sure what you wanted to lay out in terms of cash - just showing options.

So, really, all that you need is plain bimini top of the right dimensions (easy) and remove the forward bow. A track system is not hard, but you could do it even easier by putting snaps on the topside of the hardtop (underside might work, too), along the aft edge. The track setup would provide a cleaner look (slightly more secure, too). You'd end up zippering the bimini to the hardtop with a valance. Wouldn't look bad, at all, with snaps though - and still easy up/easy down. All in all, probably about an hour job start to finish.

Another option is to eliminate the rear straps in lieu of rear legs to make the bimini top self standing - sort of like a radar arch. But that also depends on how you use the boat and whether that would get in the way more or less than folding the bimini up and leaning it forward or aft. You could also remove the bimini with quick disconnects and lay it on the hardtop or the bow.

Make sure to get a bimini "boot" (cover) - makes it easier to store it when you lay it down over the transom, or store it forward by leaning against the hardtop.

Still another option is to add a full enclosure - especially if you already have a 3-sided enclosure for the hardtop. Adding rear enclosures - often called "camper canvas" - gives you the ability to enclose the whole boat in canvas, basically making it a big tent which is great for extended overnights/long weekends. Add a gas grill and you're livin' large!