330 Express does not track well

stripedo

Reaction score
My 330 Express seems to wander side to side when I am in any sort of seas or chop. I am always having to compensate and steer. Is there a trick to trimming to correct this issue and get it to run straight?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
which engines?

could you be a little more specific regards to "any sort". ron

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This could be a long shot. My Sailfish had a similar steering issue. It cam on so gradual I thought it was just the way the boat steered. We notice we were alway cleaning a drip from the hydraulic steering where it connected to the engine. When we had the seals replaced on the hydraulic the steering became much more responsive with less wobble
Good luck

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My boat doesn't do well at all in a following or quartering sea. and my steering is tight. I believe it is a characteristic of the hull shape and the fact that the deepest part of the hull is pretty far forward and pretty round and a relatively flat stern with lower deadrise. I've found that with a following sea, the yaw can be pretty adverse, but not to the point of risking broaching. My autopilot can keep up in most conditions. I haven't found the trim tabs to make a significant difference either way. I suppose having them full nose down could create more drag on the stern and help a bit, but running down-sea is best done at a speed that more closely looks like a head sea to the hull. The risk with tabs full nose down would be you'll plow the nose into the next wave and make it worse. With a beam sea it does seem to be very sensitive to both tabs and weight shifts. It rolls a bit, again, I think a function of the hull shape. Just my 2 cents. The following sea yaw is the only unfavorable characteristic I've found with the 330. Everything is a compromise.
Bill S
330 Express w/

Off the Hook

Reaction score
Stripedo,

I notice my bow get pushed left and right at time buts it is because I have too much bow down... Try bringing the bow out of the water a little bit, worked for me.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. Yaw with a following sea means that your bow is too low. Don't use your tabs at all. Just trim the engines out.

Given that, the SV2 hull does not like to run fast with a following sea. You just have to find the sweet spot with respect to trim and speed.

captain swag

Reaction score
Like Off The Hook said. Raise the bow up more when you attain "on plane". Sounds like a bow steering issue.