330 Express Generator

RipNReel

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've just purchased a 2008 330 and it has a Panda 4200. How many hours will it typically run with an average load on it?

Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
With an average load and a full diesel tank it should run about 10 12 hour days. Say 120 hours. The book says less than 1/2 L per kilowatt hour. We run ours on three day trips all night long for air-conditioning and usually use about a quarter of a tank. We love ours. Make sure to adjust the valves every 75 hours and run it every time you take it out. They don’t like to sit. They also require a pretty hot battery to start given the high compression.

Last edited:
Reactions: magicalbill

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I second wspitler.

What he says is correct. A generator should have almost as many accumulated hours on it as the outboard engines. The more you run it, the more reliable it is.

I also really dig mine. I fire it up, and it powers everything, though obviously not all at once. Use proper load management,, change oil & adjust valves and they should last a long time.

One last thing, I have run mine overnight and still had around 1/2 tank of fuel in the morning. That's after running A/C all night in SW Fla, cooktop stove, water heater, etc. The diesel tank on my Marlin 300 is 13 gal. I could go two nights at anchor without fueling. Your 330 tank may be larger.

RipNReel

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
With an average load and a full diesel tank it should run about 10 12 hour days. Say 120 hours. The book says less than 1/2 L per kilowatt hour. We run ours on three day trips all night long for air-conditioning and usually use about a quarter of a tank. We love ours. Make sure to adjust the valves every 75 hours and run it every time you take it out. They don’t like to sit. They also require a pretty hot battery to start given the high compression.
Thanks, that helps a lot.

RipNReel

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I second wspitler.

What he says is correct. A generator should have almost as many accumulated hours on it as the outboard engines. The more you run it, the more reliable it is.

I also really dig mine. I fire it up, and it powers everything, though obviously not all at once. Use proper load management,, change oil & adjust valves and they should last a long time.

One last thing, I have run mine overnight and still had around 1/2 tank of fuel in the morning. That's after running A/C all night in SW Fla, cooktop stove, water heater, etc. The diesel tank on my Marlin 300 is 13 gal. I could go two nights at anchor without fueling. Your 330 tank may be larger.
Thanks for the info.

seasick

Reaction score
What is a typical load:)
The 4200 is rated at 3.8 kw max continuous load.
These generators like to be run at about half their rating or about 2000 watts. Running at very low loads is not recommended.
My point is that to compare apples to apples as far as fuel usage goes, you have to know what the actual loads are.

If you don't have a manual, you can find a downloadable version here

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seasick:

I was concerned as well regarding running my Fischer-Panda at low loads for long periods, but on these Grady's you cannot keep enough appliances on the A/C side going to maintain a 50% load on the Genset for extended periods. You just can't.

1.The Water Heater draws until the water is hot, then it shuts off.
2.) You can't run the cooktop stove and the microwave oven continuously.
3.) it is not realistic to stand in the door to the head running a hair dryer, or bringing electrical appliances from home aboard to plug in.

The best you can do is run the A/C all night along with the battery charger, and unless you're in FL, that time is limited as well. I suppose if one fishes, you have other options, chill plates, etc. I don't fish, so I'm clueless about that.

So....I asked my diesel tech about this dilemma, and he said with these FP generators, it's not that big a deal in the Real World. He told me to run it often, use what I use on the A/C side and don't worry about it.

I have done that and the Fischer-Panda runs fine, and I'm not feverishly trying to turn on stuff to keep the unit loaded.

JustEnough

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I second wspitler.

Great information from you and wspitler. I'm clearly not running mine enough.

Any recommendations on diesel additives? Thanks

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I run mine nearly every time I am offshore (May - October). Has worked great and probably nearing 1,000 hours. Engines have 1,500. I have not adjusted the valves but it seems to run fine. Anyone who has done this, is it an easy process. Looks simplistic in the manual but I’ve never done this. Did have a starter fail but easy fix.

2006 Grady 330 Express

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great information from you and wspitler. I'm clearly not running mine enough.

Any recommendations on diesel additives? Thanks
Happy to chime in; RE: Diesel Additives- I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know which one my Diesel Tech uses, but have a friend who likes StarTron.

I can say I only use it when I know it will sit for a month or more. When the generator is used on a regular basis, I don’t add it and it’s fine. Same with my gas for the Yamaha’s. As long as the fuel, diesel or gas is being rotated I don’t add anything.

JustEnough

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Happy to chime in; RE: Diesel Additives- I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know which one my Diesel Tech uses, but have a friend who likes StarTron.

I can say I only use it when I know it will sit for a month or more. When the generator is used on a regular basis, I don’t add it and it’s fine. Same with my gas for the Yamaha’s. As long as the fuel, diesel or gas is being rotated I don’t add anything.
Thank you.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I add a lubricity increaser occasionally to add longevity to the fuel pump. I do that in my diesel truck as there has been some issues with the newer Bosch fuel pumps in the new diesel trucks and the newer fuel low sulfur has lower lubricity than previously. I guess if you’re up north and extremely cold temperatures there are anti-gelling additives as well.

RipNReel

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What is a typical load:)
The 4200 is rated at 3.8 kw max continuous load.
These generators like to be run at about half their rating or about 2000 watts. Running at very low loads is not recommended.
My point is that to compare apples to apples as far as fuel usage goes, you have to know what the actual loads are.

If you don't have a manual, you can find a downloadable version here
thanks for that. as a new grady owner, what can you tell me about the main/aux fuel tanks. can both be left open for fueling? do you run one over the other, switch aux on/off? i'm assuming the tanks are completely independent, no cross flow.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Tanks are completely independent. I have an aeronautical engineering background so, like on a multiengine aircraft, I run one engine off the aux (fwd) and the other engine off the main (aft). You can run both engines off either tank depending on the valve positions. They are fueled separately. The bigger main (aft) tank is 199 gallons (see the labels on tank tops) and if it is full and the aux is empty or light the boat is stern heavy. You will find a significant performance difference depending on total fuel load (up to 350 gallons) and balancing between the two tanks. These tanks are large and will sweat internally if left empty during high humidity and changing temperature conditions. Pay attention to water in the fuel warnings and have fuel and extra water separator filters handy. Great boat!

teaklejr

Reaction score
We have a 305 Express with same fuel setup and run starboard motor off main tank and port off aux tank. A big benefit of this is if one tank gets water or whatever in it only one engine will be affected. Happened to us this year, somehow water got into the aux tank and shut port motor off. We were able to get back on starboard motor.