330 Express - Glass enclosed hard top or standard?

SeaBiscuit

Reaction score
Looking for a little input from those of you who own a Grady with the new Glass enclosed hard top option. We've been Grady owners for nearly 35 years, and over the past 3 years we've purchased 3 different models looking for that perfect match. Currently we own a 307 Freedom, but we feel it lacks certain accommodations in respect to fishing. And we are also are limited to canyon day trips with an undersized fuel tank and no space for sleeping. We fish out of Cape May, NJ.

After the sea trial and seeing several different 33 models with the glass enclosed hard top, we feel we may have our perfect match at last with the 33 Express. But seeing as how the glass is such an expensive option (nearly 30k), I have a couple of questions:

Is the glass enclosure a nice feature to have on the boat, or is it more of a nuissance?

Anything special as far as maintenance is concerned?

Is the helm air conditioning vent an absolute must have with this feature?

Is it worth the money!!!?

Personally, I love the way the glass looks on the boat, but I didn't like the price tag. The sight lines are dramatically improved in comparison to standard hard tops. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated!

On a side note, what are your thoughts on going with 15' outriggers vs. the 24'? We have went with the standard 15' on previous models but felt an upgrade may benefit.

Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't own one but have been on one several times. Glad you like the glass enclosure look. I am not a fan of the lines from the outside. Inside, it does give very clear sight lines as you say, but I felt a bit like a fish in a bowl. 3 boats in 3 years isn't a good record if they replaced each other - just sayn. Before pulling the trigger again, do your homework. Not being flip, but you must have gotten hammered on depreciation and sales tax or just have money to burn - if so then so be it.

I would say the helm air is pretty much required if you boat in areas other than New England and even there there will be days you will wish you had it.
Maintenance should be less with the glass enclosure, less enclosure to deal with. On a boat that size, I would go with the 24' outriggers, especially if adjustable.

Now for my biased comments...
First I really like GWs. I do have some pet peeves though.

Get a few people in the helm area with you and move around in it. The center helm feels too tight for a boat of that size - especially if you are not a small person.
I think you give up a lot in the cockpit area for a cramped helm. The cockpit really isn't much larger than the 30' Marlin. Granted it is bigger than the 30' Express, but pretty small compared to other boats of it's size.
That aluminum cap under the outboards. It will corrode overtime, it is screwed in that allows water penetration, the seal isn't great and is prone to water intrusion. You can't address it properly without pulling the motors. Most of all, it is the poorest design I've ever seen for a part of the boat that sees a lot of water. Why this isn't glassed or properly capped and bonded with a fiberglass piece that is Ushaped is beyond me.

I'd really give this a competitive look if I were in your shoes.
http://www.pursuitboats.com/OS345.php
I have not priced recently, but my guess is it is cheaper compared to the glass enclosed 330. The fit and finish is equal or better and the creature comforts are superior in my opinion. You probably can go without helm air as there is a bit more open air.

SeaBiscuit

Reaction score
Fishtales,

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your insight and for pointing out some of your concerns. 3 boats in 3 years isn't a great record at all, but we've managed to make out extremely well on previous trade-ins. Quite lucky really. I have checked out the pursuits as well and while it's a beautiful boat in its own rights, there is just something about a grady.

The maneuverability in the helm was a concern for us as well as we originally began looking at the 305 Express. We were a bit hesitant to make a move on that model for that reason alone. However, the comfort level increased tremendously once we had a chance to see a 330. I'm with you 100% when it comes to taking your time to make a decision. It's a beautiful rig but for the price, it must be right.

Thanks again, fishtales!

Fishtales

Reaction score
no prob. it is a nice rig. you'll be happy i'm sure!

PaulBoat

Reaction score
I would say it depends on where you fish out of. If you fish in colder weather up north, then it may be worth it. Although I liked the enclosed hardtop I opted for the classic lines, well because I like the classic lines, and I do like the wind in my hair (whatever I have left) during the warm weather days here in south FL.

Here are a couple of pics of mine - yes mine is a 370 but similar lines to the 330.

95061-albums6835-picture70864.jpg

95061-albums6835-picture70865.jpg

As to the outriggers, the 15 footers are too short - and the Tacos offered by Grady require you to reach over the hardtop to raise or lower them. The 24 footers are too hard to manage on your own especially if you have to navigate under a bridge. I took the boat without outriggers and had the dealer install Taco Grand Slam GS380s which can be fully operated from underneath and I put 18' poles.

Good luck. Boat shopping is fun but I wouldn't want to switch 3 boats in 3 years. It takes a while to get it dialed in the way you like, and then it's time to....

SeaBiscuit

Reaction score
Paul,

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the factory can simply cut the holes for outriggers and a self install can be done. I had a look at the 18s but thought nothing more because the dealer only offered 15s and 24s. But if the 18s outfit nicely than that may be the way to go.

Thanks

PaulBoat

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the holes are already there when you get the boat without outriggers. At least I'm sure they are in the frame and I'm 99% sure they're in the top too - just capped. But you may want to ask your dealer to be sure.

The other option is to have the mounts installed by Grady at the factory if you're getting one built vs getting one off the lot. You'll pay for it however $$. The option for the 15' Tacos from the factory was a couple of thousands more than it cost me to get the upgraded grand slams with 18' poles purchased and installed.

SeaBiscuit

Reaction score
I've found out the same thing there. It's almost a 50% markup from the price Taco offers. If everything is already in place with the holes than mounting the plates and holder is self explanatory from there. It's about a 6k bump to upgrade to 24s. I'm with you 100% on the 18s.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Danny that center helms gives up too much helm space. I believe it was he who asked for a 33' Marlin. That would be some boat!

As for riggers, I prefer the 19' that used to come on the 300. I'd go with the 24' before I did the hardtop mounts which I abhor. They are an advantage for bridges but that is about it. They do not seem like serious fish equipment IMHO.

You could probably get your dealer to install the Lee Jrs.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I love the classic lines of the 330. I talked to a lot of folks about the hardtop and (unless you are in cold weather a lot) it didn't really make sense vs the cost. You can add helm air and heat without the hardtop and you will be fine. The center helm for me is great but it can get a little crowded with big guys running around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4,657

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
BTW Sea Biscuit is the name of my boat and was the name of my prior boat 2000 272 Sailfish. :D

SeaBiscuit

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply megabytes and the insight!

Grady33,

Have you found that most of the guys like to sit up on the helm or more so in the cockpit and deck area? We kind of felt the same way that we would be fine as long as people aren't running back and forth through the helm. Getting everyone in the cockpit and locking the hatch may be a good solution for the duration of a canyon run!

What did you select for a helm chair on your 33, and would it make any difference? We were leaning towards a model that folded for back support when standing.

Beautiful boat you have there!

Thanks

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have owned a 330 for over 3 years. Some comments on the cockpit follow.

I absolutely love the center helm and do not think it is cramped at all. In fact, it uniquely offers something no other boat does (that I know of in this size range).

On the 330, if you have the Platinum Helm chair like I do - you can remove the helm chair while in the slip or on the hook and place it up on the closed dash panel. Then, after carefully drilling a recessed hole in the center of the teak waffle pad that comes with all 330's (floor plate just prior to the aft bunk), you can insert a 2 or 3" SS bolt (3/8ths thread I think). The pedistal on the Platinum seat post has a threaded insert in the top center of it. The SS Bolt + SS washer will convert that teak waffle plate into a fantastic little table on top of the seat post. Carefully look at the below photo. I cannot tell you how convenient this is! It converts that helm area into a salon for dinner, cocktails, etc.

As to the enclosed glass pilot house now offered - I really like the looks of it and wish I could convert my top to that (can't per GW).
Good luck in your decision!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks SeaBiscuit. The space isn't really at all crowded with 3-5 big guys. On long canyon trips, some sit around the helm (usually 1-2 on right and maybe 1 on left) or they sit in the back or sleep downstairs. Unless I was always in cold weather, I would never spend the money for the glass enclosed hardtop. Better spent elsewhere - underwater lights, bow thruster, liferaft, upgraded transponder and electronics etc. Right now, we're adding underwater lights and upgrading to 1,000 or 2,000 Watt transponder. Boat has 2 Furuno VX2 units which I love but only a 600 watt transducer that is now 8 years old. As for helm chair, we have the delux one and it is very comfy on long canyon and overnight trips.

The only think my 330 is missing is a small tower for marlin fishing (would be nice but not a must have) and the new Yamaha 300's. The 250s push her along fine and were the largest engines out at the time ... but 300's would be better and we will upgrade at some point down the road - probably after the next presidential election! :lol: OK couldn't resist another photo. Happy to answer any other questions you have or PM me and I will give you my #.

Attachments

• Sea Biscuit 330 Express.jpg
    Sea Biscuit 330 Express.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4,615

SeaBiscuit

Reaction score
Jack,

Nice ingenuity, thanks for the input! And a gorgeous boat.

grady33,

If you don't mind me asking, how much will the underwater lights run? Are you having grady dealer put them on?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Depends on the lights and how many and quality. I'm guessing it could run a few grand to 4-5k or more. I leaning towards 3 color changing lights from lumishore. I will probably install them myself as it ain't that hard to do. http://www.lumishore.com/