330 Express Hardtop Wiring Harness--Spare Wires

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I have a 2005 330 Express. Please forgive me for being a bit lazy and not hunting for myself, but can any of you suggest where several spare wire pairs found in my starboard hardtop locker might terminate? I am seeing a pair of what looks to be 10 ga ("caped" with butt crimps) and several smaller, likely 14 or 16 ga ,wire pairs bundled with what I am calling the factory wire harness. None are hot.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I did say I was being lazy, but I did review manuals and found no reference to spare wires. I will most likely give up and pull a new wire. The old cellular booster and antenna cable can certainly go to make room in the chase.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You didn't give enough clues. Not even a picture! Color is the best hint. Are you the original owner, and these 'spare wires' are factory, or was there one or more PO's. Most boats come with a few extra ACC switches, have you flipped those with a test light hooked to the wires?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Wire color or you haven't asked a serious question yet....

Do they go down to the helm in the tube from the e-box or do they run out of the e-box into the starboard upper hardtop frame?

Gulffisher

Reaction score
Wire colors will need to wait for my next trip to the marina (40 or 50 years ago I could remember such details, now not so much), so I will go with I am not serious yet.
I am the original owner.
I tried the three spare ACC switches at the helm and wish one would have powered up!

SkunkBoat, the spare wires run with the factory bundle containing the 8 ga red-blue and black-blue leads to the six gang fuse block plus speaker wires and anchor light leads. I thought all factory hardtop wiring ran through the helm tube. Does it instead run through the starboard-aft hardtop tube? I don't remember...

My VHF is wired to the fuse block. Now that I think more about it, I suppose one of the wires (or pairs) MIGHT terminate near the battery to provide unswitched power for VHF.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
SkunkBoat, thanks for reminding me. I now remember where to find these wires!

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On my 2002 they run to a connector on the starboard cockpit behind the bolster cushion. The 10 ga red and black run to the battery compartment. I think directly to one of the batteries. They may be dead because of a corroded connector behind that bolster. Mine were, the anchor light on the hard top also runs thru that connector from the helm switch.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
Chutch. I had forgotten about the corroded connector I replaced about 10 or 12 years ago until SkunkBoat reminded me. I had assumed the corroded connector was an isolated issue but sounds like you had a similar experience. Thank you for the info.

Reactions: Chutch

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
GW 2005 330_Hardtop Wiring.pngGW 2005 330_Wiring Size Color.png

Top image should show what runs are part of the factory hardtop harness and the second what the corresponding color-code/wire gage is. You may have to click on the image and zoom in.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The wires the starboard hard top locker on my 04 are connected to a fuse block the locker itself. That fuse block is controlled by the breakers on the port side just inside the cabin door. VHF,radar, search light.

or are you saying those wires I speak of are there and yiu are seeing additional wiring?

I’ve also seen the plug behind the inspection cover behind the starboard bolster. I assumed that was wiring for spreader lights and the anchor/stern light….wires run up that hardtop tube

Gulffisher

Reaction score
Thank you Automated14. Yes, hardtop fuse block and anchor light wiring have been identified. Additional hardtop wires include pair of 10 ga dedicated, un-switched, VHF wires from hardtop to battery (not used by my original electronics installer) as depicted on the wiring diagram in the owner's manual plus several more unidentified small ga wires. I am good to go now. Thanks again for all the comments and support.

Update: Ran new wire from spare ACC switch on helm to VHF box on hardtop to power spreader lights. But for those who asked, the spare wires are 16 ga red, dark blue, white, and white/red. I quickly gave up looking for the other end of these spare wires.

Last edited: