330 Express known issues??

Vintagercr

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to GW's however not new to boating. I'm looking at a very well maintained 2004 330 Express and was wondering if there were any known issues or areas I should pay close attention to. I've been doing some poking around and it appears there have been some horror stories related to core rotting from water intrusion at the port aft vent.

What else should I be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
Dino

Vintagercr

Reaction score
does it have 225 Yamaha's on it?
it has 250 Yamaha's with upgraded 2009 electronic controls. The engines have ~1400hr with extensive service records and no visible corrosion noted during recent major service performed a few months ago.

seasick

Reaction score
Who told you there was no visible corrosion? Were the exhausts scoped?
A seller does not have to divulge any information about defects but by law can not lie if asked.
Some express hulls have had serious issues with water leaking into the port aft to middle side of the hull. A marine survey by someone familiar with the issue is strongly recommended. I don't know what model year that problem started.

Vintagercr

Reaction score
Who told you there was no visible corrosion? Were the exhausts scoped?
A seller does not have to divulge any information about defects but by law can not lie if asked.
Some express hulls have had serious issues with water leaking into the port aft to middle side of the hull. A marine survey by someone familiar with the issue is strongly recommended. I don't know what model year that problem started.
The previous owner shared all the service records along with the contact info of the facility that performed all the maitenance. Spoke to the service tech's and they passed along how anal the gentleman was regarding maintenance. As an example, during a routine check it was noticed one of the lower units was a bit low on oil. To avoid any issues he had both lower units replaced!! During that time the exhaust ports were scoped again to check for any corrosion concerns.

I've heard about the water leaking issues and will need to look into that a bit further. It's my understanding the leaking is primarily from rain or washing not so much from use. Is that a fair statement? I do have a moisture meter and will take it with me to do some cursory checks, but will ultimately rely on a professional surveyor to make the final assessment.

Thanks for the feedback.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Take a plastic mallet with you as well for sounding. A little tapping can tell a lot.

Reactions: Vintagercr

seasick

Reaction score
My understanding is that there was leak where the deck attached to the hull, near or under the rub rail aft, and that the water leaked in when the boat was operated.

Last edited:

Vintagercr

Reaction score
Thanks for that!!! The mallet sounding seems to be a better way than using a moisture meter.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for that!!! The mallet sounding seems to be a better way than using a moisture meter.
Both tools have a purpose but more important than the tool is the skill of the person using them.
For example, a totally rotten core ( hollow) will have a perfectly fine moisture reading. A hell section that sounds fine using a tapping hammer could be soaked. A tap test can reveal a delaminated skin or a hollow core but doesn't tell you anything about moisture. Testing is not black and white.
It is also important to note that a moisture meter will not work correctly on a section of hull that has anti-fouling paint on it.

isurus22

Reaction score
Ive owned a Seafarer 228 since new in 1988. I finally got the permission slip to get a used 330 Express. Unfortunately, I have had to pull out of two agreements due to hull delamination. Both were nearly identical to the video shown (sides above waterline midship back to stern). Also the transoms were swollen around the corroded aluminum strip where the engines are mounted. I am getting worried that this is a serious design flaw. Even if I find one that is dry, am I going to have this problem in a few years? Does anyone know if this has been addressed in later model years? I am looking in the 2003 to 2007 range.

seasick

Reaction score
I am led to believe it is not a design fault per se but rather a manufacturing defect where the hull and deck were improperly attached to each other and sealed. So it may not be something that develops but is there from day one. Understanding how to look for the moisture and specifically where to look is key.

SeaVee

Reaction score
I want one of those hammers! What was it called again?

seasick

Reaction score
The best hammer for the job is a leather faced one. May not be easy to find. Plastic faced hammers will also work.
here are some examples

The issue is that hard faces like a metal hammer, can damage the gel coat or paint. In addition harder hammer heads will tend to bounce off the surface affecting the sound.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I sure would like to see that side of the hull opened up so we could see the delamination. I not sure this hammer test is as accurate as people believe.

Reactions: wspitler

ocdansar

Reaction score
I pulled the rear vents off mine. It was raw coring no sealer. I put 3 coats of resin let it dry then 5200 and reinstalled the vents.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I pulled off the vents of my 2007 330 and they were both well sealed with no way for water to get into the core.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Drop the lower units and have the engines scoped, very easy to do. Check the lower unit oil and ensure no water. Major maintenance items like t-stats should be done every 3 years, oil/plugs/separators and other wear items at least once a year or 100hrs. Check to see if the belts were done. You are close to the recommended time period. Look at props, skegs and general lower unit condition for damage.

Transom is a must. Look for any small bulges or signs of water entry. Even if small, water got in and the damage has started. Look under the decks and inspect all wood. Look for signs of rust or water getting in engine mount points. Most of all, get a surveyor or someone familiar with GWs.