330 Express opinions

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

A upgrade has been on my boating mind this spring. I currently own a 98 Sailfish 272 and have been thinking " more boat". I have been back and forth between switching to a Downeast style JC 31, 31 Duffy etc. or remaining a Grady guy and moving up to a 330 Express. Our current boating endeavors take us throughout Long Island Sound, Block Island, and Montauk as well as Fishing the canyons throughout the summer and early fall. I love my 272 Sailfish but the perfect fair weather 60-70 mile offshore days for safe use of the boat are a real bummer not to mention the limited range with fuel. As my full grown family continues to sprout offspring my larger boat needs have increased. A early 02-05 range 330 Express rigged to fish seems to be the step up Grady of interest and most likely to fit in my price range . I have noticed that most in that age range seem to be powered with twin 225 4-strokes ? Doesn't this seem a bit underpowered for the boat size? My Sailfish is currently powered with 225 OX66 injected motors and sports plenty of power for a 28' hull.

Your input is appreciated,

Tom

Coconut330

Reaction score
I had a 272 and moved up to a 330. When I first got my 330 it had the F225's. It was no speed rocket however we could cruise 28 to 30 MPH and a top speed of 41 MPH. Most of our runs offshore where I live are 40 to 50 miles. I also have made several trips to the Abaco's with it. About 2 years ago I repowered with the new F300's. It was like getting a new boat. As to answer you question about being underpowered there are many out there with the 225's. I was happy with the way it ran with them. Fuel economy with both engines are about 1.1 MPG at cruise. The 330 is a great ridding boat due to the size.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had a 2000 272 sailfish and moved 2 years ago to a 2006 330. Loved the sailfish but the 330 offers a larger boat ride and longer range plus generator, air and creature comforts for overnight trips. Ours has 250s and good enough but I'm sure 300s will be better. Not sure but if you buy a older models, make sure you can hang 300s on them. Check with grady first.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I agree with the above advice as well. I moved up from a 265 Express and couldn't be happier (now in my 4th year with the 330).

From my standpoint, I have a 2006 330 with F250's and I fish alot on a friend's 2002 330 with F225's.
I can honestly say both boats are adequately powered. The 330 with F225's will run higher RPM's to achieve the same speed but
neither boat is huffing and puffing at 24 knots (28 statue mph). They will run all day, and all night, like that at about 1.0 nautical mpg.
One thing I would be cautious about is the possible corossion of the dry exhaust manifolds on the first generation F225's (built before 2005).

There is some evidence that Yamaha fixed this issue with new coatings on their manifolds in engines built in 2005 and beyond. Truth is - no one really knows. But, if I were shopping today, I would lean towards engines built in 2006 and beyond or go with a re-power scenario.

All of this said - if, when, I re-power, I would likely go with the F300's with fly-by-wire controls or possible the Honda equivalent. I mean, who doesn't want to go a little faster? For, me however, a re-power is many years away and my F250's are totally fine.

Lastly, when you look at the choices in this size category, it's hard to beat the 330 for it's range, comfort, resale value and cruising speed + overall economy. Grady hit a Grand Slam when they released this model! Good luck in your search...

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you. I am surprised with the fuel consumption . I had thought i could improve on the 1mpg of my current Sailfish with OX 66's!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tom, I have a Marlin with F250 outboards, so I sort of straddle your boat and the 330. Between the Sailfish and the 330 the weight difference is substantial, without looking it up I would guess about 5,000 pounds. Where I think you'll see a real world advantage in fuel consumption is when slow or fast trolling. For example, on my old 24' Explorer with Yamaha 250 OX66 we burned roughly 7gph while trolling for tuna, with my M\
Marlin we burn about 3gph doing the same speeds.

slimjim7

Reaction score
I just got into a 2004 330 with 250s. Moved up from a 21' Carolina Skiff with a single 140. To say fuel consumption is different would be a tad of an understatement... ;) Of course, literally everything else is different too.

Wife and I spent our first weekend sleeping aboard the 330 earlier this month. Previously, we had been accustomed to chartering cruising boats with more roomy accommodations, so we weren't sure what to expect on a boat with a smaller cabin. We found the 330's cabin space to be solidly functional and spacious-enough, and we are very happy with our purchase. We did end up sleeping head to toe on the V-berth, which some might find strange -- but we are practical-minded folks. We both had more room this way.

Fishing out of the cockpit was a grand experience compared to my center console boat. So much space to maneuver! I probably only had to push my wife out of the way 4-5 times instead of 100... ;)

Fuel consumption averaged about 1 NMPG. I am still getting accustomed to achieving the proper trim of the engines and the use of the trim tabs. I am hoping I can get the fuel economy up some. I run 40-60 miles one way to the fishing grounds -- those fish are tasty, but the cost per pound is high!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Slimjim7 - I did a quick calculation and I believe over the past 15 years, we have gotten our tuna down to $1,720/lb. not bad for really fresh sushi!

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I have a good friend who continues to tell me that this is why he catches his best fish at the local fish market. I have never given him a Tuna steak for fear of him calculating it's value............

Thanks for all the helpful info, it looks like 1gal. per mile it is .

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Tom

I moved up from a 1988 Pursuit 2200 (22' cuddy cabin) to a 2002 330 with 225's two and a half years ago. I wasn't aware of the corrosion issues. I had the engines surveyed by the original, and continued servicing, Grady dealer and they gave them a good bill of health but who knows how deep they checked - the 330 was in the same marina that I kept the Pursuit. The Grady dealer has since gone belly up and I have the service done by a very good local mechanic.

I fish the Gulf of Mexico out of the Fl panhandle. I have been pleased with the performance of the 225's but I am not looking to be the fastest boat out there. I generally cruise at 4500 rpm with speed range between 28-30 mph and fuel consumption between 1.2-1.4 mpg depending on sea conditions. I'm rarely out running hard in seas over 3'.

I enjoy the cabin size and find it very comfortable for 2-3 people. I did spend 5 nights with my son and 3 grandchildren, we both said never again for that many nights. We have to go out 100 miles to get to 400-600' and then come in 10 miles to anchor in 200' which is really nice when the weather cooperates. I put Sirius XM weather on and get doppler style weather on my Garmin 5212 - I wouldn't be without it that far offshore.

My wife & I were talking about the boat last night and I assured her that I have no intention of looking for a larger boat when I retire later this year. The 330 is very easily handled by one person at the dock and out fishing but at the same time can accommodate 8-10 for a day of playing on the water. The boat is super solid and it's difficult to tell a well maintained older one from an equally maintained 330 that's 5-7 years newer.

Jeff

alfa1023

Reaction score
Tom,

We moved up from a 2000 272 Sailfish to our 2005 330 Express a few years back. The first time you drive the 330 it feels huge compared to the Sailfish. But you quickly get used to it and then if you get back on a Sailfish (or equivalent sized boat) it is amazing how small they now feel.

We have F250's on our 330 and I agree with all that has been said above. What this boat really needs isn't more power on the top end, but more bite on the low end. We have had a few occasions with a big quartering following sea coming in a narrow inlet and the stern lift will get your attention real quick. I have toyed with going with 4 blade props which supposedly is a big help. For everyday use, the F250's are fine.

The only negative I will mention is we miss the ability to load the Sailfish on the trailer and take it over to the east coast of Florida (for Bahama trips) or down to Key West (for Keys and Tortugas trips). I now need an extra day or two and an extra $1,000 (or more) in gas to motor the 330 to the same locations.

One thing I would include on my "must have" list is a bow thruster. I know that real men don't need them, but the first time you have the wind and tide trying to smash you into a dock or a neighboring boat in a tight marina, you will be happy you have it.

Good luck with your search.
Jim

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Since our boating season is much shorter here I think that the 330 Express is the perfect size Grady for our Northeast travels. I have seen a few earlier 03-05 boats with low engine hours. I'll need to find one local to take for a ride.

fishbust

Reaction score
1998sailfish said:
Many thanks to all of you. I am surprised with the fuel consumption . I had thought i could improve on the 1mpg of my current Sailfish with OX 66's!

Well, my personal opinion is many fuel numbers are very optimistic.

My 272 surveyed at 1.4 mpg with full tanks and 4 adults. What I am really getting (overall) is 1 to 1.1.
I am sure at a certain speed and conditions, over a period of time for a long cruise, the 1.4 (or a tad more) is possible but not really practical for real world conditions depending on your boating habits and area. I have seen 18 gph to 23 gph for my cruising, varying. Many (most) times there is no long, steady cruise in calm conditions to bring the overall average down with varying conditions and traffic and inlets and etc, etc.

I do find it hard to believe if I bought a 33' foot boat, that my present sailfish would fit into, that I would get the same or better mileage with a beam 2 feet wider, 5 feet longer, another 600 pounds of fuel, another 2000 pounds of fiberglass, etc, etc, etc. with similar engines....I would really have to see it and live it driving it on a proper sea trial to believe it. But that is just me.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i get 1 to 1.1 at cruise. but i'm running f350's and 4 blades. i have found that the real world tracks fairly well with the performance bulletins on this and our prior 232. ron

fishbust

Reaction score
Well, then it is good news to know that we won't get punished at the fuel dock for moving up when the time comes.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishbust said:
Well, then it is good news to know that we won't get punished at the fuel dock for moving up when the time comes.

at 1 mpg trust me, it feels like being hung, drawn and quartered when taking on 350 gallons. :mrgreen:

fishbust

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
fishbust said:

at 1 mpg trust me, it feels like being hung, drawn and quartered when taking on 350 gallons. :mrgreen:

LOL I am sure but I am burning about the same with what equates to a canoe compared to your 33. Actually makes me want one more. Down the road though. My 28 is still new to me, have about 2 hours on the motors this season so far, just got launched last week after working on it in the cold the past few months. I can already see though, that I will stick with Grady for the long term. I really like these boats. :D

georgemjr

Reaction score
Hey Fishbust, I see you are on Long Island. I boat out of Bay Shore with my 2006 33 Express powered with F250s. If you are ever interested in going for a spin and seeing first hand the fuel burn you are more than welcome to come take a ride. Any excuse to go out on the boat is good for me. I get 1.0 to 1.1, on a rare occasion, 1.2. I connected my Yamaha gauges to my GPS to ensure accuracy (rather than relying on the pitot tube for speed, so I know my fuel burn is spot on. It is important to know whether we are talking about 1.0 gallons per statuate mile or nautical mile. I have my Yamaha gauge set to MPH (statuate miles) and my GPS set to knots (nautical miles). Of course there are conditions that can lower it, but those are the numbers I hit in almost all conditions, almost all of the time. I was actually amazed at how little I could change the burn, for worse or for better. When I connected the Yamaha gauge to the GPS I was expecting to be able to find that perfect sweet spot that would give me a better burn. Unfortunately, I never found it. On the positive side, it really didn't matter much on load, conditions, or speed (unless any one of them is on the extreme end) as I continued to get the same burn. If you are any where near Bay Shore and want to check out the 33 ride, get in touch...george

JJ2468

Reaction score
I have a 2006 33 and repowered with F300s
I get between .8 and 1.3. Big range but usually 1 or 1.1. I'm a northeaster also and when leave dock have an extra 100 gallons so 450 total and 1000 lbs of ice and all the gear. Once we burn some fuel the mileage get back to normal. Love the f300s and does not seem underpowered any more. 39 knot max

Only complaint with boat is the usual complaints about the generator access. Past week generator has to be hauled out for repair. What a pain and also a pain to the wallet.

chub2000

Reaction score
ive never felt like my 330 is underpowered with F250s. she cruises comfortably at 29-30mph burning 1mpg.