330 express perf. #s

Randy

Reaction score
have been reading some blogs around where people are saying cruise at 27 knots with a full canyon load at 28 gph. 4800 rpm, is this real? have a 2006 w/ F250"s and do not get those numbers at all, sometimes when am really heavy im getting 22-23 knots. do i have a problem?

alfa1023

Reaction score
Sounds like something is up. We are routinely loaded heavy with divers and 4800 to 5000 rpm has us running 30 to 32 mph.

What props are you running? I have 15 1/2 X 17 Yamaha SWSII props om my F250's.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Randy,

Sounds like we are pretty close. I usually have 3 - 4 divers, with 2 - 3 scuba tanks each, plus all their other gear. Rarely full fuel though; usually 200 to 250 gallons, plus full water and a cooler or two full of ice, etc.

Is your boat bottom painted? Mine is not. Wondering if that could be part of the slight diff?

Jim

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i have an '09 with f350's. full fuel and water and a few people. i run a solid 1 mpg from about 19 to around 35 mph. this is almost spot on with the yamaha performance numbers. i'm using the new 4 blade props, which nick top end by about 5 mph (i don't care) and fuel economy by 0.1 mpg (that i could use) from the stock 3 blades. the control is unbelievable though.

it is very important to first use the trim tabs to level the boat and then trim out the engines to optimal performance. it makes a BIG difference.

next time you are out, get the boat on plane. take note of your rpm, speed and mpg (don't focus on gph, use the economy display). level out the boat with the tabs and keep an eye on the numbers. then tap the engine trim a second at a time. you should see rpm, speed and mpg all start increasing, without moving the throttles. keep tapping until numbers starts to drop off, then you are on the other side of the performance curve. wind and current will have effects.

try it, you'll like it :mrgreen:

my bottom is painted, but i keep it clean. this is my first large boat and i was surprised to see just how sensitive fuel consumption was to proper trimming.

ron

alfa1023

Reaction score
Randy,

I missed the fuel burn #'s in your 1st post. I routinely see 1.1 to 1.2 mpg when running in the 30 - 35 mph slot loaded as previously described. I do drop down to 1.0 mpg if we run above 35 mph (very rarely) or if we have to slow down in the 20 - 25 mph area due to rougher seas.

Trim tabs are used in conjunction with engine trim based on seas and load both for fuel efficiency as well as running comfort.

Jim

Randy

Reaction score
I always use tabs and trim engine up for max performance but still cant get those numbers. have had VST's cleaned and motors are yamaha mechanic serviced, should I be checking injectors? Any Yami mechanics out there that can make a reccomendation??

GulfSea

Reaction score
I have the much smaller 228 but just recently discovered the true value of trim tabs. I, like many others, assumed tabs down meant increased fuel consumption but that's not necessarily so. Depending on conditions, my fuel economy actually improves with tabs down. It seems that if conditions are choppy enough to require slower speeds, the tabs reduce the speed necessary to stay on plane. Plus the ride is incredibly better. For this boat, once on plane fuel usage doesn't really seem to change by much until RPM's exceed about 4800-5000.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Randy said:
I always use tabs and trim engine up for max performance but still cant get those numbers. have had VST's cleaned and motors are yamaha mechanic serviced, should I be checking injectors? Any Yami mechanics out there that can make a reccomendation??

what does your mpg run at? can't tell from the posts.

if you are not getting close to jim's (alfa), then something is off. is your bottom clean? i had a minor amount of barnacles once and it destroyed economy.

what about the props? have you had them scanned lately?

also, will the engine spin-up to rated rpms at wot and tested load?

ron