330 Express: Rod Storage INSIDE cabin?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The other thread got me thinking. I have 4 rod holders mounted in the headliner of the cabin, and typically leave another 4 regularly used rods lying on the bed for storage.

However, most of my setups are 6' in length, so there is technically room for them standing inside the cabin.

Has anyone devised any clever rod storage options inside? I have removed my dinette table long ago, I'm wondering if there is a good low profile (or floor mount) solution I can use to store another ~4 rods standing inside, that doesn't make the cabin less usable when they aren't stored. I haven't gotten around to actually removing the table foot, but I imagine there are only a few inches of space between the cabin floor and hull.

The big challenge of course is that I don't have the headroom to lift a rod up a foot and drop down into a holder.. so would need something that.. clamps them from the side for lack of a better description?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Morning Flot, Can't help with rod placement, just questioning the amount of fishing rods you have onboard. Is that for fishing different species or because you have a lot of pals who fish with you? I am feeling a little left out with only six, 2 spin casting, 2 salmon rods with 4/1 level wind Avets. and 2 heavy rods and with level winds for Halibut fishing. One each per fishing species for my wife and I. I am here on Vancouver Island where the the fishing is mostly just those fishing opportunities listed. Recently I have heard some are attempting to jig deep for Squid.....have not gone there yet. Hope I did not detract from your post.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
The solution for storing my rods on a 306 Bimini/Canyoun would be making a rod holder of plywood where they stand in.
Something similar than this ones on Amazon but you need to find a space for it.

At home i have this one, works reasonable well but probably not on a moving boat, but there are other kinds who look nicer too.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-02 um 18.43.08.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Do have rood holders in the aft cabin? My 305 has them on the ceiling. I have also thought about having a couple of standup holders in the head too, however its tight and usually not used when we are fishing.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a Marlin 300 and mounted a rack to the ceiling of the cabin (photo attached). It works well and the rods extend above the door to the head and allows me to use the table. It's down in the attached photo. Also, the rack I used is the following (and you can also buy in shorter lengths) or combine the tracks for more rods. I mounted the rack to starboard and then mounted the entire setup to the ceiling. I'm sure the Express 330 will have more viable ceiling space than the Marlin 300, but I needed a way to store 8' rods. The rack is: https://www.amazon.com/DU-BRO-Fishi...4245959&sprefix=dubro+rod+rack,aps,156&sr=8-2 Location on the track is flexible with a small allen wrench to lock it in place.

Attachments

• Marlin 300 Rod Storage.jpg
    Marlin 300 Rod Storage.jpg
    995.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: dstarok

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Appreciate all the replies. I do have those taco holders on the starboard side of my cabin headliner, but am reluctant to put a set on the port side because then I'll be poking myself in the face with rods every time I stand near the fridge. Despite sleeping on the boat exactly once, I like to pretend it is an option. (sitting at the dinette table though, I'll likely never do)

The aft cabin is a good option for "rarely used" storage, but I'll have to do some experimenting to see if I really want to try to jockey a 6' rod out of the little entrance hole. Maybe there is more room than I'm giving it credit for.

As for what I need all the rods for - realistically I am fishing with 4-6 on a regular basis, but would be nice to have easy access to 8-10. The boat is in my backyard and over the years I've learned it is a lot easier just to leave what I need on the boat so I can just turn the key and go. And dragging a half dozen rods through my house at 6 am doesn't win me any prizes with the better half and frankly is bad for my drywall. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: OceanSun

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
What about the push-in clip holders inside the toilet wall?
I don't use the toilet so i can use it as storage but others may use it, but then the rods could be unclipped and put either on the bed below the helm or on the bow bed.
There are some star shaped plastic pieces i had in Costa Rica to bundle 3 rods together or simply rod bags they would pulling the rods out of the rabbit hole more easy.
Chris

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I use the GW cabin rod holders in my 268 Islander cabin.

Interior 1.jpeg Interior 2.jpeg

HMBJack

Reaction score
Here's what I did on my 330 and it works great.

1. On port and starboard sides of your vee berth, unscrew those 6' long teak strips (you can always re-install later).

2. On the areas there that protrude a bit mount these >>> https://tacomarine.com/sport-fishing-rod-holders-f16-2752

3. Another tip - I reversed 2 of the 4 clip ends so they are all aft. This allows you to reach the clip and not have to go on your hands and knees to reach a clip forward. So the "ring" ends are all forward and "clip" ends are all aft.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On our 282, I installed a system on the ceiling of the aft cabin for my trolling rods. My rods are 5'9" long, so they just fit. The 6 rods hang perfectly and out of the way. I set up the tracks that every other rod faced opposite directions to maximized space.
rod holders.png

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Marlin comes with the ceiling mounts. I use en - 4 rods but still a pia even with 5’6” trolling rods.