330 express stereo install and rear speakers.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi, I’ve started the process of replacing the stereo in my 330 express. Currently has some Kenwood single DIN and 4 JL speakers. 2 In the cabin, 2 in the rear face of the upper electronics box.

going with a fusion MS-RA670 with an MX-ERX400 wired remote. The remote is where is gets interesting. I ran the wire for it and wow that was not fun. Has anyone run wiring from the radio/tv area to the helm on a 330 express? Not that it matters now but is there an easier way?

1. Snaked it from the stereo area behind caninets to the area where the ac vent is walking into cabin port side
2. Then Down along the ac vent duct into bilge near fresh water pump,
3. then Across bilge where center access panel is in aft berth to starboard side.
4. Then through where the large half pipe is for throttles and steering
5. That’s the helm area so it’s done.

had barely enough wire (premade wire with Ethernet plug one end and some round multipin connector on the other). Now that it’s done I’m thinking there has to be a better way?

next issue is I’m adding cockpit speakers. Probably in the steps that are used to get up from cockpit to gunnels. I ran new speaker wires from radio to near the fresh water pump on port side and the holding tank area on starboard. Hopefully I’m going to have an easier time snaking from those points to final locations

i realize this a 4 channel unit and I don’t want an amp so I’m going to put the cabin speakers and aft cockpit on same channel with a speaker switch as I can’t imagine ever wanting to listen to music in the cabin and outside same time. If the switch isn’t all it can be, I’ll just leave the cabin speakers disconnected.

so far I only ran the wires for remote and new speakers. Now to cut for nee speakers, different deck, and different remote.

Last edited:

Fido

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve started the process of replacing the stereo in my 330 express. Currently has some Kenwood single DIN and 4 JL speakers. 2 In the cabin, 2 in the rear face of the upper electronics box.

going with a fusion MS-RA670 with an MX-ERX400 wired remote. The remote is where is gets interesting. I ran the wire for it and wow that was not fun. Has anyone run wiring from the radio/tv area to the helm on a 330 express? Not that it matters now but is there an easier way?

1. Snaked it from the stereo area behind caninets to the area where the ac vent is walking into cabin port side
2. Then Down along the ac vent duct into bilge near fresh water pump,
3. then Across bilge where center access panel is in aft berth to starboard side.
4. Then through where the large half pipe is for throttles and steering
5. That’s the helm area so it’s done.

had barely enough wire (premade wire with Ethernet plug one end and some round multipin connector on the other). Now that it’s done I’m thinking there has to be a better way?

next issue is I’m adding cockpit speakers. Probably in the steps that are used to get up from cockpit to gunnels. I ran new speaker wires from radio to near the fresh water pump on port side and the holding tank area on starboard. Hopefully I’m going to have an easier time snaking from those points to final locations

i realize this a 4 channel unit and I don’t want an amp so I’m going to put the cabin speakers and aft cockpit on same channel with a speaker switch as I can’t imagine ever wanting to listen to music in the cabin and outside same time. If the switch isn’t all it can be, I’ll just leave the cabin speakers disconnected.

so far I only ran the wires for remote and new speakers. Now to cut for nee speakers, different deck, and different remote.
I have completed this exercise recently on a 330 and added an amp behind the TV. You will find all the access eventually but it’s all right.
Message if you need further guidance.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have completed this exercise recently on a 330 and added an amp behind the TV. You will find all the access eventually but it’s all right.
Message if you need further guidance.
I assume you meant all "tight" lol... yeah it is! I guess my question is sort of moot since I ran my wires but there's always another project down the road and I'll need to get back there. I went over the river and through the woods to get from the radio to the helm pod... 30' remote cable and I barely had enough!

I had gotten 6" speakers for cockpit but too small to "fill" the hole left when I remove the enclosure for the salt water washdown. Going to go with 7.7"

mg1826

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm looking at doing the same thing but probably a fall/winter project at this point. I'd love to see pics of where you put the speakers. I also wanted to add courtesy lights in the steps near the gunwales but still need that fresh water wash down.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I replaced with same stereo and ran new heavier gage wires to behind panel and connected it. Put a 6 channel fusion AMP behind the fridge and to the left. Nice fit! Ran heavy gage wire for AMP straight to batteries and added a breaker behind the battery switch box. Added 2 addl speakers to cockpit area and ran better speaker wire. Sounds great! Didn’t bother with controls at helm as I use the App or thru garmin7612xsv unit.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm looking at doing the same thing but probably a fall/winter project at this point. I'd love to see pics of where you put the speakers. I also wanted to add courtesy lights in the steps near the gunwales but still need that fresh water wash down.
A 7.7” speaker will fit where my salt water washdown is. I’ll move that to under the gunnel which is fine by me because coiling up the hose into that stupid wanna be horizontally mounted mini tuna tube is getting old lol.

and…. One less hole to cut. This is a mock-up of a 7.7” JL speaker in the washdown hose hole

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpeg
    IMG_3264.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: mg1826

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Some pics of my set up. Like I said, Amp is installed behind fridge to the left of it against a wall.

Attachments

• IMG_3921.jpeg
    IMG_3921.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I see you had your combing bolsters shortened. I Had considered that
Did it myself. Pulled back fabric removed zillion staples and cut board and re-stapled. Not hard to do! There is a access place behind which I removed and used hole for speakers. Don’t think I had to enlarge it. Did use some gellcoat to clean up screw holes.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did it myself. Pulled back fabric removed zillion staples and cut board and re-stapled. Not hard to do! There is a access place behind which I removed and used hole for speakers. Don’t think I had to enlarge it. Did use some gellcoat to clean up screw holes.
No you you have me thinking... My combing bolsters are perfect EXCEPT in the areas you cut off... both sides have very small tears in the top of the cushion. and you are saying there's alreasy pie plates behind those?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
No you you have me thinking... My combing bolsters are perfect EXCEPT in the areas you cut off... both sides have very small tears in the top of the cushion. and you are saying there's alreasy pie plates behind those?
Should be. Easy to check. Small screw thru stainless circle on bottom of bolster. I don’t think I had to widen it but i did above the helm.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Should be. Easy to check. Small screw thru stainless circle on bottom of bolster. I don’t think I had to widen it but i did above the helm.
It’s confirmed.

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The speakers on my 305 are in the same space above the step with a shorted bolster. I also put a door in the step itself to access the space under the steps for storage.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm putting the speakers where you did and of course it's a can of worms lol. I believe I can shorten the bolsters myself. I'll have to enlarge the holes. I have a set of 7.7" JL's but I think those are going to go in the helm area. May go with 8.8" in the cockpit. I'm totally scared to gelcoat and I want the biggest speakers I can fit there to take away from what's sure to be a crappy patch job by me.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Finished the speakers. Not too bad of a job. I cheated them forward a bit and didn’t shorten the combing bolsters as much as everyone else does…. This allowed me to cover all the screw holes for the bolster clips with zero gel coat repair. You can see the red line in one of the pics. That’s where the factory ends the bolster on new 330’s

went with 8.8” JL’s.

IMG_3329.jpeg

IMG_3333.jpegIMG_3334.jpegIMG_3335.jpeg

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have to remove that port speaker and compound out the whole area. I did it on the starboard side and it blends in well

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Got around to wiring up the led’s. Used a wetsounds controller that fits in place of a standard carling dash switch. The controller isn’t the easiest to use but it’s ok for now.

It says it’s sync’d to the music but I’m dubious . I’ll probably just keep it on a solid color when I do use it

here’s a video of it : MUSIC SYNC

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited: