330 Grady Express Transom

Offshore25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’m new to the site and Grady White Boats. I’m looking at a 33 express 2005 she’s a little rough but should clean up. the boat had yam 225’s but was repowered with yam 250’s. The tramsom has a knuckle under each motor ( in the transom well) and has fresh caulk around knuckle. Is this area caulked from the factory or is this a weak point? I’ll try to attach pictures. Is there anything else to look out fforfor? Thanks for your help. AE8E3A19-8F79-4821-8259-71ADF7408C86.jpegAC44CC82-EF23-42D6-9DC6-F17B9D99D786.jpegAB56DF4F-3708-4CF2-9DB9-BEC51E21CEFA.jpeg

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have not seen that before, I recommend you get a reputable marine survey.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bet a case of beer not OEM. Agree with a marine survey, but I'd send the photos to GW Customer Service for comment.

The sloppiness of the caulking job itself would send me walking, and not waste my time and money on any further evaluation.

When you look at a boat and say it will 'clean up', that is obviously referring to the cosmetics. What about all the stuff you can't see, that is dependent on the level of maintenance and loving care provided by the owner(s). I can't tell from the photos, but the transom drain tubes look to need replacement (aside from flow being blocked to them by those added structures).

Of course, the above is all JMHO.

Last edited:

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have never seen this before. can't imagine what is under them. Would love to know what they are and what is under them once you solve the mystery.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 330 transoms are reenforced by aluminum braces. Those "knuckles" are the top of the brace and what you are seeing in the transom well is the cap they place on top of it. If you open the outer inspection plates in the well and look in you will see them - they can also be seen from the inside of the bilge if you stick yourself far enough back.

Those caps are set in with a hull & deck type product. Given that you see fresh caulk around them, have the surveyor inspect that area well from the inside of the bilge. i had cracking in the material holding the caps on my 300, but there was no water intrusion - i as well places a bead of silicon around them. Check that aluminum transom cap as well, they are notorious trouble makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

Offshore25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for the info anything else to look out for on the 330

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info anything else to look out for on the 330

An issue some are known to have is wet coring on the sides, aft corners under the vents on both port and starboard. I cannot make the statement that those vents were all improperly sealed in certain year models, but many were - allowing for water spray etc. to get in and wet the core material (balsa).

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 01 330, those areas are caulked by the factory, That obviously has been redone and not very well. Just recored my transom. The caulk is all cracked and needs to be redone, mine was leaking from the top aluminum cap and the brass drain tubes, look close at them. They crack and rot, I cut it open and the plywood was soaked, now has all fiber glass core, ordered the new cap and end pieces from Grady, all plastic now.

Ponce

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You have any pictures of the job while construction?

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have only a few pics, I removed the cracked brass tubes and did the drain holes in solid glass, I installed the new brass tubes anyway so it looks original. Ripping out the wet plywood was the worst job I ever did. I used an electric chain saw to dig out the wet wood from behind the outer layer of glass. No fun. I borrowed the gig from a Yamaha dealer to lay out the engine mounting holes.
IMG_6965.JPGIMG_6982.jpgIMG_7487.jpgIMG_7764.jpg

Reactions: Meanwhile

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing there is water intrusion. Ask the surveyor to use a moisture meter., I agree, sloppy job appears to be a band aid for a larger issue. Life is too short to have a waterlogged transom.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I’m new to the site and Grady White Boats. I’m looking at a 33 express 2005 she’s a little rough but should clean up. the boat had yam 225’s but was repowered with yam 250’s. The tramsom has a knuckle under each motor ( in the transom well) and has fresh caulk around knuckle. Is this area caulked from the factory or is this a weak point? I’ll try to attach pictures. Is there anything else to look out fforfor? Thanks for your help. View attachment 7887View attachment 7888View attachment 7889
Walk away and don't look back, tiss the season, there will be many other boats around.
Be safe

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm thinking on a 2.5 year old thread that the OP has probably either purchased the boat or passed on it at this point. That being said though, that's pretty shoddy work on the caulking job and would definitely make me hesitant on something like that. As stated above, and like I always recommend, have a reputable surveyor come out and look everything over so you know what you're getting yourself into.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I'm thinking on a 2.5 year old thread that the OP has probably either purchased the boat or passed on it at this point. That being said though, that's pretty shoddy work on the caulking job and would definitely make me hesitant on something like that. As stated above, and like I always recommend, have a reputable surveyor come out and look everything over so you know what you're getting yourself into.
My bad didn't look at date why was it on the 1st page anyway enjoy your holiday

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My bad didn't look at date why was it on the 1st page anyway enjoy your holiday
No worries at all, happens to me all the time. Looks like Ponce revived the old, outdated thread. @Ponce it might be best to start your own thread with any questions that you might have.

Fin-Allie

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
they are known to be wet check bolts inside to see if pulling thru

Fin-Allie

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
looks like the brass tubes are cracked and water leaking there to