330 transom rot

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have 2020 Mercury 300 V-8’s on my 03. 5600 rpm sees 46 mph on gps. I can’t remember what fuel burn was but at 4200 cruise it gets 1.2 and running about 32 mph

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Glass doesn't stick to aluminum. The transom coring (Xl Ply) stops an inch or two before the top of the transom. There is then an aluminum L brace capping the wood and then putty sealing the trim cap over the L brace. It's this L brace that bolts into the stringers and gives Gradys their incredible transom strength. Because of this aluminum brace, they cannot glass the top.
I disagree. They also did that on all models that did NOT have internal aluminum bracing.
The reason they used a cap (aluminum or later plastic) is merely to cover the seam instead of glassing it. The seam is between the hull that includes the transom and the liner that includes the deck and the motorwell. It was common construction technic for outboard models from many manufacturers not just Grady. Most of the seam is covered by the rubrail.
The two pieces, liner and hull, are gelcoated in the mold and look perfect. To join them with glass would require a lot of labor and they would have to spray gelcoat and try to blend it. It would add at least one day to manufacturing, probably two. Thats $$$$$. Thats the reason they covered the seam with a piece of crap aluminum trim. then the marketing department started calling it a "bang plate" to make you think it has some function other than cheaply hiding a seam.

Last edited:

Mangrum27

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wow thanks for all the info everyone. I finally talked to the surveyor from the buyer that bailed out and he told me no moister was in the transom but the bulk head behind the generator where the old fuel filters were removed and relocated and they never filled in the holes. SO that was really good news and he read the meter and used his hammer on the transom and found it to be solid. We are going to sea trial Friday and then we should be a go. Anyone replace the generator? How do you fit a new one in there? For the life of me I do not know how they got the other one our unless it was pieced out. I am going Diesel so Ficher Panda or Westerbeke any knowledge here? Again thanks for all the feedback.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just get a competent surveyor to do a complete survey. Wood everywhere in that boat. Not saying don't buy, but set the price for the work you may have to do.