330 Water leak

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2003 330 and after launching today, noticed there was a small bit of water on both sides of the rear of the forward V berth. The drops look to be pretty much under where the hard top front supports are secured. I know I read a thread here where it is a good idea to re-bed these. I could not find the right search terms to find previous threads on this. What is the process? It appears there are two round access panels in the headliner of the cabin which would correspond to the legs of the hard top.

My guess is I'd open those panels up and gain access to bolts. At that point is the drill to loosen the bolts, then go topside and add Lifeseal or similar caulking? Will the leg lift enough to do so by hand? Is this something that requires a helper? Once the caulking is added, lower the leg and tighten bolts back up.

Any tricks or other advice from those who have done this before would be appreciated.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I had a leak around the aft cabin window. I took the outside ring off around window. Cleaned the silicone out and used 5200. I may regret it later but it fixed my leak. Mine is an 03 as well. So far no leaks up front.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2003 330 and after launching today, noticed there was a small bit of water on both sides of the rear of the forward V berth. The drops look to be pretty much under where the hard top front supports are secured. I know I read a thread here where it is a good idea to re-bed these. I could not find the right search terms to find previous threads on this. What is the process? It appears there are two round access panels in the headliner of the cabin which would correspond to the legs of the hard top.

My guess is I'd open those panels up and gain access to bolts. At that point is the drill to loosen the bolts, then go topside and add Lifeseal or similar caulking? Will the leg lift enough to do so by hand? Is this something that requires a helper? Once the caulking is added, lower the leg and tighten bolts back up.

Any tricks or other advice from those who have done this before would be apprec
I have a 2003 as well. Check out the rub rail where the lifting straps are located, assuming the boat has been hauled out before. Carefully re-caulk top and bottom edges with clear silicone.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2003 as well. Check out the rub rail where the lifting straps are located, assuming the boat has been hauled out before. Carefully re-caulk top and bottom edges with clear silicone.
There is no evidence that water has dripped down the inside of the hull liner, it looks much more likely to be a drip from the access panels for the hardtop legs, but I'll take a look at those rubrails for good measure.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2002 330 & had same problem caused by my ignorance - I let teenage grandkids climb onto the top & dive off. I was unaware of weight limitations on hardtop.

My hardtop has the 2 main supports & another support coming off each main. All four are accessible through the small round panels in the cabin. I took all the bolts off the supports and with help of a friend was able to lift the hardtop to give enough space to get areas cleaned out. I then used a type of tape that has adhesive on both sides with a center made of a moldable sealant (don’t remember the name of the product but can look it up if someone else doesn’t chime in). This totally corrected the problem

Reactions: kirk a