330s or other walkarounds with painted hulls - let's see your pics!

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thinking of putting my 2002 GW 330 in for paint next month. My topsides have faded far from the typical beige grady, but thinking about one of the modern Grady hull colors to keep it looking updated.

I'd be very interested to see your GW express boats with painted hulls! I'm thinking about "Seaport Blue" although this may be a little darker than I really want to go....

Last edited:

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Attached is a photo of a 2021 Marlin 300 in Seaport Blue. If you want to message me with your email address I can send you higher resolution pictures by email. This forum won't let me upload due to size.

Attachments

• 2021 Marlin 300 Seaport Blue.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 104

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
2001 330 I believe it's called Celestial Blue by Grady, We used Awlcraft light blue.

IMG_8545.jpgIMG_8868.jpg

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks guys. FSC, great looking boat - that's lighter than I want to go, but I like the finish.

I assume you replaced all the thru-hulls etc when you painted?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Attached is a photo of a 2021 Marlin 300 in Seaport Blue. If you want to message me with your email address I can send you higher resolution pictures by email. This forum won't let me upload due to size.
That's a great reminder that seaport blue is one of those colors that can look very different in sun or shade.. will send you my email addr, would love to see more photos!

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I did replace all the thru hulls with new stainless ones. Thats not easy to do, we made special sockets. Of course all new hoses to the thru hulls. The color is a Grady color. I wanted the boat to look stock. The factory actually sent me a cut out from a thru hull, Then we matched it to an Awl Craft color. I also used the 2020 stripes for that color hull.

Reactions: Flot

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd go to a local marina where there are painted GW and other boat hulls. Early colored GW hulls were painted over the white gel coat. You can imagine what they look like after wear and tear, some look pretty bad (in my opinion). The newer colors are colored gel coat, much better from a wear perspective.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I should be clear that I do know what painted boats look like. :) Grady has been using a fairly unique set of colors with its modern lineup, just trying to get some better perspective on them on the walkarounds. I don't see them (GW walkarounds with hull colors) that often locally. My gel is beyond the point where I really want to get into the thousands of dollars a year on upkeep, and frankly I'd feel silly repainting the hull a cream color. (but that's not entirely out of the question)

FWIW while I agree with you on gelcoat durability vs paint - I've owned a dark blue gelcoat hull, and a dark blue painted hull, and in the 3-5 year mark the painted hull was far, far less maintenance. Of course, the gel hull could be compounded, wet sanded, etc, but my experience has been that after 10-15 years you're having to put some real money into it to keep the new boat shine.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That's a great reminder that seaport blue is one of those colors that can look very different in sun or shade.. will send you my email addr, would love to see more photos!
Did you start the paint project? What color did you go with? I'm considering Seaport Blue (AwlGrip equivalent). Also repaint topside with a GW white (AwlGrip equivalent). Probably paint the GW stripe with new GW logo.

Considering lighter AwlGrip blues like the Light Blue. Would like to hear about your experience with the AwlGrip paints.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am so happy and still get compliments, this is the 3rd season. We used Awlcraft not Alwgrip. The painter said Awl craft is easier to touch up. I have had to touch up. The straps from the Travel lift rubbed a chine once. 1.You need to protect the hull from the straps. 2. If you shrink wrap in the winter, the shrink wrap needs to stop at the rub rail. After it cured, I went over the hull will a ceramic coating. Highly recommend this. I used System X for boats. Not Cheap, But great stuff.
My color matches what Grady offers. I didn't want it to look custom, just original. Like the factory did it. I did not do the top side. We polished and ceramic coated the topside.
My color is Awlcraft Sky Blue
https://fiberglassflorida.com/ac-awlcraft-awlgrip-qt.html IMG_8545.jpg

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I forgot to follow up on my own thread - I went with awlcraft stars and strips blue, and the boat came out fantastic. This paint is really interesting and I THINK a near match to the same color grady is offering factory now - sometimes it looks light blue, sometimes it looks darker, at sunset it can look almost grey. Very happy overall.

I used the factory new model factory pinstriping ($90ish) and the factory new logos ($500ish), also redid all the through-hulls. (prob another $800). And then vivid white bottom paint. Grady sells new heavy stainless covers for the rectangular hull vents, and they were beautiful, but I couldn't justify the $550 they wanted for them. Ended up spray painting mine metallic aluminum which surprisingly looks pretty good!

1653570258557.png

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I forgot to follow up on my own thread - I went with awlcraft stars and strips blue, and the boat came out fantastic. This paint is really interesting and I THINK a near match to the same color grady is offering factory now - sometimes it looks light blue, sometimes it looks darker, at sunset it can look almost grey. Very happy overall.

I used the factory new model factory pinstriping ($90ish) and the factory new logos ($500ish), also redid all the through-hulls. (prob another $800). And then vivid white bottom paint. Grady sells new heavy stainless covers for the rectangular hull vents, and they were beautiful, but I couldn't justify the $550 they wanted for them. Ended up spray painting mine metallic aluminum which surprisingly looks pretty good!

View attachment 26003
Right now your paint job is my #1 vote. No "teeth". My bottom is black but I think it will look good - possibly strip bottom and go white.

I spent an hour on the phone today with AwlGrip regional salesman. After discussing paint types it may be AwlCraft SE. Difference is clear coat. Easier to apply and repair, more expensive and more labor.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
2001 330 I believe it's called Celestial Blue by Grady, We used Awlcraft light blue.

I am so happy and still get compliments, this is the 3rd season. We used Awlcraft not Alwgrip. The painter said Awl craft is easier to touch up. I have had to touch up. The straps from the Travel lift rubbed a chine once. 1.You need to protect the hull from the straps. 2. If you shrink wrap in the winter, the shrink wrap needs to stop at the rub rail. After it cured, I went over the hull will a ceramic coating. Highly recommend this. I used System X for boats. Not Cheap, But great stuff.
My color matches what Grady offers. I didn't want it to look custom, just original. Like the factory did it. I did not do the top side. We polished and ceramic coated the topside.
My color is Awlcraft Sky Blue
https://fiberglassflorida.com/ac-awlcraft-awlgrip-qt.html View attachment 25995

FSC60 - In your posts at the top of this thread you said "said "Light Blue" but later said Sky Blue". I'm looking at AwlCraft color chart not sure which one it is!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Maybe I'll go a little lighter. This is AwlCraft "Evening Sky".

Edited: Well actually its not AwlGrip. It's gelcoat.
Evening Sky.jpeg

Last edited:

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sorry for the confusion. But this should clear things up.

IMG_0882.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry for the confusion. But this should clear things up.

View attachment 26015
I didn't think that was right. Beautiful color. "Light Blue". My concern is it being too light. I'm caught in the middle here. "Sky Blue" is a color I'm working now. Not as dark as "Stars & Stripes". AwlGrip will make a custom color but it's overkill for my million dollar Grady!

I ordered some paint today. Going to see how it looks. Went with "Bright Sides Off-White" for topside, hardtop and aluminum frame. Slight GW brown tint - not that harsh white. Also "Sky Blue" for hull and under hardtop.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

"Sky Blue"
Sky Blue 46 Post.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: glacierbaze

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thinking of putting my 2002 GW 330 in for paint next month. My topsides have faded far from the typical beige grady, but thinking about one of the modern Grady hull colors to keep it looking updated.

I'd be very interested to see your GW express boats with painted hulls! I'm thinking about "Seaport Blue" although this may be a little darker than I really want to go....

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpg
    IMG_8280.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 20

southernstyle995

Reaction score
I was contemplating painting my hull also just out of curiosity if you don't mind sharing how much did the paint job cost? My boat stays on a trailer so if I were to paint it I would paint the whole thing.