336 Hard Top

Christos

Reaction score
I had a question about the hard top on my 336 Canyon. My boat is used frequently for socializing and family fun, more so than fishing. Anyway, at the beach we use the hard top as a diving platform. Sometimes I will have up to 3 adults diving off the top at once. It seems solid enough to hold an elephant; however, I know there are limitations to everything. Anyone have any idea what the weight capacity of the hard top is? Any insight would be much appreciated!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Christo, i have the same boat, when i was up there installing the radar and electronics felt very strong and sturdy.
I had call GW to ask if i could install an open array radar and i as told "no", the top is not designed for that. I really did not second ask about it and i installed a dome. There is a guy in my marina that has an open array on it on the same boat(2008), so i really don't now what is going on here. As far as been strong, i think yes, is plenty strong.

P.S, are you Greek? (Christos?)

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NEM, what is the weight on the open array? I was told its not recommended to mount a 60lb raft on the hard top but they dont want you mounting an open radar antenna?

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gman25 said:
NEM, what is the weight on the open array? I was told its not recommended to mount a 60lb raft on the hard top but they dont want you mounting an open radar antenna?

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

I don't remember exactcly, but it was close to 50 lbs. plus.

Ditto on the raft too, i bought a valise instead of the hard case for that reason.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gman25 said:

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

I was told the exact same thing. Mine was just under 50#. I've been told, not by Grady White, that they are worried about cracking the welds on the hardtop legs.
I also called Grady and asked if I could change out the 10gal holding tank to 15gal... the answer I got was "they have never tested that configuration so they cannot recommend doing it". I think that answer was more of a weight balance issue.

I think the bottom line is Grady is very carefull/conservative on modification recommenations if their engineering dept has not OK'ed it. And I can understand why.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
HDGWJOE said:
I also called Grady and asked if I could change out the 10gal holding tank to 15gal... the answer I got was "they have never tested that configuration so they cannot recommend doing it". I think that answer was more of a weight balance issue.

There should be an old thread on here about my holding tank change.

The in-tank macerator quit and, after pricing and evaluating options, I purchased a 15-gallon Groco SweetTank. It is the same height and width as the 10-gal, with an additional seven (7) inches in length. Since it is mounted athwartships, the extra length was no problem.

The Sweettank has an air connection at the top and an air distribution manifold at the bottom. We have been pumping air into that tank for a few years now, and NO CHEMICALS added - and NO ODOR.

Oh, and no adverse effects on vessel stability, or platform loading.

Brian

Christos

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight guys. I as well have an open array radar on mine, it does not seem heavy at all? Anyway, I think if I use common sense and don't put too much weight I'll be fine! Just curious weather or not a weight spec existed.

Also, "Nothing Else Matters", no I am not Greek, I use Christos to shorten up Christopher Sobey. Hope your enjoying your 336, I know I am!

thanks again