350 4-stroke on 263 Chase?

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I'm at a crossroads of either selling my boat or repowering with newer used motor(s). The latter seems like a lot of money / work and I'm not sure the value will be there if I decide to part ways in the next few yrs (based on prices I see around me and how long the expensive ones sit around). 2000 Chase 263, so "extended hull" and rated for 500hp. Mine has a single 250 OX66. I know general consensus is best with twin 200s, but I'm worried about complexity of single to twin swap (extra batteries, switches, wiring, I imagine fuel pickup, steering modification, etc). A 300 doesn't seem like a large enough upgrade, so eyeing 2015-ish 350s (verados seem more plentiful). I emailed GW, but vague response about boat being rated for 500 and after two reply emails, I can't get a definitive answer on "can it handle the weight of a single 350?". I understand a 350 weighs less than twin 250 OX66, but obviously weight is spread differently and thus my concern. I would be bringing it in to have bangcap removed and transom fully glassed, so thought of having a bracket created to "line" the splashwell... it'd bolt to rear & sides to help spread the concentrated weight, but not sure if it's even necessary. Thoughts?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The weight is insignificant. The bigger issue is the force created from an engine with that much power mounted in the center. Considering the hull is rated for 500hp, I doubt it will be an issue.
There was a member here that did an extensive build on a 2002 270 - similar hull as yours. Search rbarclay. I believe he started with a single 300 or 350 verado and ultimately pulled it and went with twin 150 mercs. He said he was constantly fighting a listing issue with the single verado. I don't think he discussed this on the forum, but I spoke to him personally. He could not correct the listing issue, so gave up and went with the twin 150's.
To me it seemed odd the listing issue couldn't be fixed. Engine height, prop changes, or engine tab, or something should have been able to fix the issue IMO, but who knows.
Best of luck whatever you do.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
just curious, what are your performance numbers with the single 250? cruise rpm/mph and wot rpm/mph? how is fuel consumption?

Coastboater

Reaction score
I think either the 350 or 400 Verado would transform the performance of your boat. Being rated for 500 HP I wouldn’t be concerned with the transom other than some maintenance after removing your old motor. You can get digital controls and I think digital steering making it fairly easy to rig, but I wouldn’t be scared of a mechanical engine either.
As to the balance perhaps at drift the boat would react differently than a twin installation, for better or worse…. Maybe shop around for somebody selling a similar rigged boat and pick their brain?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You could always buy a single brand new Suzuki 350 hp outboard motor as well? That would likely be your best and cheapest option for going brand new. Another option would be a single Yamaha F425, though that's going to likely be $50k. Other options would be new Mercury outboards, or getting a used Yamaha F350 that's in the mid 2010's vintage era. Though the Suzuki 350 is going to be a couple hundred pounds less than both the used and brand new Yamaha F350's and the F425. If keeping the boat and repowering, I'd definitely go the brand new Suzuki 350 route personally.

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
just curious, what are your performance numbers with the single 250? cruise rpm/mph and wot rpm/mph? how is fuel consumption?
Top speed is 38-40 with half tank and my family onboard (me, wife, 5 kids) on smooth water. Cruise is mid-20s, but it always feels strained....doesn't jump up on plane quickly. Offshore in any waves is definitely more of a chore. I don't really track fuel consumption.

I'm still on the fence. Currently testing the waters of selling it on Boat trader, but damn the scammers aren't just on Craigslist....90% of inquiries have been "I'll kindly send a money order + $500 and my driver will pick up soon".

I have my eye on some bay boats which will be "tighter" given the size of my family, but honestly my wife doesn't like boats and my oldest daughter is 16, has a car & job now, so stays busy, so I hate to say it'll be rare it's all 7 of us, but it likely will be (3 of 5 kids are under 9 yrs old, so don't take up as much room. Ha). I think I found a nice Yamaha 350 with 600hrs, so definitely tempted to keep this boat and go that route. I could repower, clean up transom, rebuild trailer (needs leafs & bunks), and add a trolling motor for ~$25k. No hassle of selling boat, buying another (used with potential unknown issues), etc. Obviously have to be careful what I put into this bc don't want to have "lost money" either and not sure if it'll be a $45k boat when I'm done. Based on others on boat trader, I'll be in the ballpark, but those ones aren't selling either....just slowly dropping in price.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
definitely sounds a bit underpowered with that engine.

keep in mind that if you sell and get a bay boat, even if its fine space wise, you wont get the same ride quality in the chop.

i am recently a new chase owner and i know that by the time i am done with it, i will have more in it than its worth due to a bad combination of factors from buying during high covid prices to the surveyor missing major flaws that i am sure will cost $20k to correct. i have accepted that fact and really like the platform so i am still ok putting the money into it. the size, layout, and ride/handling are exactly right for my family