366 is in

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Only became popular this decade.

And the Marlin is just a larger Sailfish, yes it was first Grady to have a glass euro transom.

I dunno, I like the Sailfish, but it was just a bit too small for us in the 'wrong' places. The Marlin was an improvement on every front. It is the perfect pocket battlewagon, IMO.

Really, where can you get so much in one package?

Popular this decade as Sailfish was the last decade, really the Sailfish had its time and Now I guess, so has the Marlin.

Nonetheless...Two oh-so-nice platforms gone..

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Marlin isn't gone,,, yet. :(

The Sailfish was basically a 25' boat (the extra 3' of euro-transom doesn't give much usable space). There is only so much room for "things" before the boat runnith over. Personally I don't see the Chesapeake doing well. It tries to do too many things but none of them well and the price doesn't help. The biggest complaing of a Sailfish is the lack of a generator. How hard would it to be to mold in a spot for a portable Yamaha generator (looks to be a copy of the Honda)? Easy to get to and not a $ervice nightmare.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Long live the Marlin!!

Every winter I go to countless boat shows and think about all the new boats and upgrades and improvements and think maybe its time for a change. Then, in early spring, I set foot on my Marlin for the first time in four or five months and remember all the reasons I bought her.

Love live the Marlin!!

NorCalGrady

Reaction score
I have to say, the 366 is a fail. I don't think it could stand up to the Yellowfin or Contender especially in speed. Although the 360 on the other hand is very nice with the new hardtop, but it is still a pig. I hope GW extends the hardtop down the line.

ovidgsd

Reaction score
That 366 looks great - although I should not have showed the pics to the adrmial - now she wants that one instead of the 283 LOL LOL !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Archair, the Marlin is a much more expensive boat than the Sailfish, so it goes the same as the 33 Express over the Marlin, see the cabin on the 33? No match vs. Marlin.

So you are fortunate enough to afford a Marlin, if you were not so fortunate, you'd have a Sailfish today, and like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of the larger boat manufacturers on the market have been building taller and taller glass windshields and side windows, which must have been from consumer complaints, since it costs more to add more glass over plastic/ canvas. The glass has become so tall, aluminum frames no longer are suitable, at the same time molded in lights and boxes, speakers, etc. have taken over vs. bolt on boxes, etc. Grady is just following the market trend in building a unified molded fiberglass bridge surround. Seen plenty at the boat show last winter. This year Grady will have their first to show.

Alumium pipe tops will remain on smaller Gradys with traditional windshield heights, same goes for the bimini tops, as it makes sense.

After I saw the Chesapeake, I realized I will never see a grady with a pilot house (alaska) style structure, with option of hard or soft back drops. However, the fiberglass bridge surrounds may be interesting hybridized version of it.

Once again I find myself referring to the Grady Admiral's influence in the boat designs, I cannot see the Admiral fond of pipe structures (too cold!), I do for fiberglass surrounds - as I'm sure they didn't overlook the bridge in their recommendations in those focus group meetings .

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Bob. Based on mag ads and the last round of shows, there is clearly a trend toward integrated hardtops/windshields/boxs/lighting etc.
The Pursuit 305 was one of the first I saw. BW, Everglades, other have similar offerings.

There are pros and cons. I like the idea of all glass when it gets choppy and spray is flying as it keeps saltwater away from the bridge (electronics and corrosion converns). In the hot summer days however the side zipouts are wonderful.

Hard to say how this trend will play out. Most builders are likely gathering feedback before changing additional models.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
So you are fortunate enough to afford a Marlin, if you were not so fortunate, you'd have a Sailfish today, and like it.

This is absolutely true-

Although I also like the walkaround style of marlin better than the 33, although that cabin is so nice.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
I like it

problem with all grady's is they dang bait tank!!!

all of them are too small to carry the bait we are getting here now, 8" dines!!

aslo why do they not have windows in the tank so you can see how the bait is doing???

all high class fishing boats have these!!!

wake-up grady!!!