370 Express with trip 300s or 350s??

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I'm in the final stages of buying a new Grady 370 Express. I was thinking to rig it with triple 350s. However there seems to be numerous failures and known issues with water intrusion, corrosion, flywheels coming off etc.... no need to list it all - just a quick search on THT is quite revealing. Yamaha seems to have addressed many if not all of these issues, but with such a new motor and new materials, they definitely have entered unchartered territory...The other option is to rig it with 300s which have proven to be as bulletproof as the old 250s (I have those 250s with 1300 hours and not a single issue - and actually one more year of warranty).

I've looked at the performance bulletins:

http://gradywhite.com/370/performance_data/1/F300TRI

http://gradywhite.com/370/performance_data/1/F350TRI

With triple 350s

@ 3800 31.4 mph .86 mpg
@ 4000 33.3 mph .84 mpg

With triple 300s

@ 3800 30.8 mph 1.0 mpg
@ 4000 33.1 mph .98 mpg

Seems to me like the 300s are the way to go (?)... negligible cruise speed difference and better econ. Like I told a friend, it may not come out of the hole as quickly as with the torquier 350s, but I can always go on his fast sled to race and I won't have to worry about limping home with a dead 350 from 90 miles away.

I posted this question on THT, and the consensus was to go with the 300s. However, there wasn't anyone with first-hand experience.

I did contact David (townvet on this forum) while waiting for my account to be activated, and he told me he was very happy with his with 300s. Any others? Happy? Wished for more?

Thoughts. Comments. Suggestions. Real world feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Well folks - I went ahead and ordered a new 2014 370 Express with triple 300s. Should have her by mid Nov. :D

I am hoping some of the experienced 360 owners would chime in, as I'm doing a few factory customizations... Hope to hear from you The Black Pearl II, LongTimeLoafer, pablor, Fishermanbb, Eberen, sel1005, townvet, etc...

1) Steering wheel: I've asked GW to replace the standard one with one with a power knob.

2) Gunnel rod holders: adding a 3rd rod holder - one on each side between the two that come stock

3) Transom rod holders: I asked GW if we could add some transom rod holders before putting the fish box in since I don't believe the area is accessible once the box is in. Either individual rod holders or a 4-holder bar like Taco makes. The answer was yes, but they thought the motors might hit once tilted all the way up - they said they could program the tilt mechanism to stop before hitting but the motors would probably be in the water an inch or two. No big deal since my boat will be on a lift most of the time when not used. They will get back to me on this.

Today I was with a friend on his Intrepid and saw how they had mounted individual low profile rod holder between the motors so they wouldn't interfere - and his quad 300 verados are completely out of the water. Check out these pics. I'll be sending those to GW. Maybe they can do something similar.

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68503-rod3.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68502-rod2.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68501-rod1.jpg

4) Helm chair: I noticed the Pompanette helm seat does not have a footrest. I am planning to see if they could add one like this...

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68499-pedestal.jpeg

... or a flip-up footrest mounted under the helm like this picture of a 360 I found...

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68500-footrest.jpg

While on the helm seat subject, I believe GW ships the 360/370 with the white powder-coated pedestal. I saw an older boat at the dealer where the coating had blistered and was peeling badly. Anyone else experience this? I think I will ask them to install one without the powder coating - in stainless steel like the one above.

5) Propellers: I read on here, that a fellow forum member (The Black Pearl II) with a 360 and triple 300s had replaced the propellers with 4-blade ones and got an even better fuel economy. I assume that also helps get out of the hole faster... but is there a downside? Maybe a bit less top speed - but I don't care about that. Any downside in the cruise range or other downsides?

6) Second Capt. Chair: Also read on here that The Black Pearl II added a second captain's chair on the port side. Any pics? Didn't that interfere with cabin access? Did you take out the bench port seat?

7) Passenger seats: anyone felt that passenger seats are a bit low and lack forward visibility - anybody try to raise them? How?

Many thanks. Hope to get some input before she leaves the factory.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Grandpapat

Reaction score
The 300s are great and much better than the original power 250s. But you will not get anywhere near those performance numbers in real water. We have bottom paint but even with new sprayed on paint we get .75mpg at 4000rpm with an average load. And only .65 at 4000 loaded for offshore dive trip.

The 300s come very close to the transom when tilted all the way up so I would not put any rod holders back there. Put two rocket launchers on the aft end of the hardtop and a centerline outrigger pole up there too if you troll alot. Have the fender holder on the transom installed as far to the port side as possible. The port 300 cowling will rub against the holder when turned that way and tilted all the way up.

The big spreader/cockpit lights could be LEDs to cut down on 12v draw on the batteries.

Absolutely make sure that the holding tank vent line does not exit at the very aft end of the tank top. It should exit the tank as far forward as possible. Screw a thin stainless steel strap across the top of the tanksaver valve to prevent the valve from popping out of the tank when it gets overpressurized by the liquid blocking the vent line. Trust me on this!

Do not allow your dealer to use the boat in a boat show if it was just delivered from the factory. The dealer will want all the electronics installed, but the installer will not have enough time to do the job properly. Trust me on this too!

Put the fuel water separators in a straight row in the lazarette instead of two being stacked one filter being located under one of the other two. The Racor filter bleed fitting is so low on the bottom one it makes it difficult to drain it without spilling some of the fuel/water mixture in the bowl.

That is what comes to mind for now.

Fishtales

Reaction score
When did they start calling it a 370? It has been a 360 since it's inception, and I'd say that was a stretch. The centerline is reported to be 36'7" and that is with the euro transom. I'd say it is a closer compare to a 34'er. I guess the $/foot equation started looking excessive. Next they will include the pulpit and say it is a 40'er and then the length to the bottom of the skeg of the motors just like the marinas and call it a 44'er.

For the record, it is a 34'er in my book just like the 30' Marlin is a 28'er and the Chesapeak is a 25'er....

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wish I had your delemma! I only have a 35 ft grady (aka 330 express) but I love it!

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Fishtales :roll: At least my jump from a 15' Whaler to this 34'er won't be so dramatic.

PaulBoat

Reaction score
grady28 said:
Wish I had your delemma! I only have a 35 ft grady (aka 330 express) but I love it!

Thx. I bet you love your 330... every bit a 35 :mrgreen:

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Pat (grandpapat), thank you - thank you for chiming in with real world advice... and sorry you had to learn the hard way. Good karma.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Add a second battery charger.

Have your electronics installer put in a line conditioner

The 300's will be perfect on this boat. So are the 250's. anyone who says otherwise either hasn't run one ( really run one...offshore and all) or has unrealistic expectations of a 36 ft express boat. The 300's will be awesome.

If you didn't order it already skip the fancy throttle for docking. The 360 (370) is a piece of cake to dock with throttles and a thruster. That joystick system is a repair waiting to happen and just like all computers it will fail when you need it most. You don't need one with this boat. I can put it anywhere, anytime, in any conditions with no problem and I am no expert. Simplicity rules.

Run the water heater monthly.

RUN your generator WITH load regularly. It should have more hours than your engines.

Get used to smiling. :wink:

irie mon

Reaction score
As for the rod holders, I know that the clearance on the 330 is extremely tight. I am going to add three of these v-locks and simply install the rod holders when I am fishing. Take them off when I am done and there is no problem with the engine clearance. Post lots of pics of your new sled when she arrives, hopefully someday I will get there.

http://www.v-lock.com/

Toddwein

Reaction score
I don't have anything to compare it to but I have a 2014 375 and decided to go with triple 350's. When I was 1st ordering it, my dealer encouraged me to go with 350's over 300's claiming the torque is so much greater that it was worthwhile. My initial thought was to go with 300's as you opted for. I never sea trialed any of the 37 hulls so I really have nothing to compare it to. It is a very heavy boat and in the end I guess I was more comfortable with the V8's. I can't say that I wish it had less power. When it comes down to looking at the numbers on the chart, the fuel consumption is insignificantly different. You are certainly welcome to come to Long Island and take out my boat for a sea trial if you would like. Good luck!

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Thx Fishermanbb - I did go with the thruster.

George - 2 years of YES was included. If Yamaha announces a better promo between now and delivery time, they'll add it on.

PaulBoat

Reaction score
irie mon - thanks for that. I'm waiting to hear what GW comes back with.

I'm heading up to the factory next week - so I should have a few pics...

Todd - thanks for the offer and the well wishes. Believe it or not the new Freedom 375 is heavier than the 370 Express. Good luck with your sled too... she's a beauty!

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Spent the day at the factory... great experience!

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68669-gw.jpeg

There she is. Another 3-4 weeks to go...

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68668-hull1.jpeg

Will post more pics next day or two. Flight home calling...

The Black Pearl II

Reaction score
Not sure where to begin, but go with 4 bladed props, they are terrific. better hole shot and I get about .86mpg with them, vs .68 before. I have the trips 250 780hrs they run great. I just switched to synthetic oil this year and expect to get better MPG then above, haven't run my numbers yet. Fully loaded, don't expect to get that kind of MPG, and in rough seas, but overall I have been very please with the props (backing up really helps). I did change the port bench to a chair, now everyone fights for that spot- you can actually see over the bow, well worth it. I have done a lot to the boat, and continue to upgrade stuff to how I use it. we put some rubber pads under the generator feet, added hand rails along the hard top so the kids have a hand hold as they walk up the sides, added more lights to the cabin and helm area, etc. I guess just keep using the boat and see what you like. The valves that are under the aft bed, unless they changed them, this is a real issues- you have to lift up the bed to get to them and that is a pain in the as.... I had the dealer bend some bars and we cut a acc panel in the foot well and now I can easily open and close them. we had to spin one of the values around, so it took some doing, but now works. I have changed out plumbing fixtures, re did the shower curtain bar so that the area is bigger, added a light there so you can see what your washing! HA!. Not sure the appliances they are using, but the oven/micro is weak. cook top fine and the fig is good, although the ice maker really doesn't work the boat gets too hot in the summer for it to make much ice. Helm AC, can't keep up with the summer heat, but works great in the fall. all said, I really love the boat, and have had a bunch of Grady's so you won't be disappointed. Keep us posted on your boat.

gulfcart

Reaction score
Request they dump Gen. exhaust out the Port side. Otherwise you breathe fumes when using ladder. my wife and I dive a lot in our 36. It's bad.

PaulBoat

Reaction score
Thanks all. I've requested some of the suggestions you all have recommended... and for a few the factory was ahead of us. They were very receptive. Here are a few more pics. She's coming together nicely. They send me pictures every few days since my factory visit.

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68675-pic3.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68676-pic4.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68677-pic5.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68856-gw370-4.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68864-370-702.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68862-dscn1801.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68863-photo-2-1.jpg

paulboat-albums-helm-picture68865-photo-1-1.jpg

irie mon

Reaction score
Wow. She is coming together nicely. Out of curiosity approximately how many boats do they have in production at once?