3D Print?

boslaw

Reaction score
Is anyone using a 3D printer to upgrade/repair boat parts? I've been looking for an .stl for the plastic cap that covers the bolt in the middle of my steering wheel but there aren't many Grady parts on the big 3D printing websites.

If anyone else here is doing any 3D printing, it might be good to start a thread with the .stl's as a resource for fellow boaters.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You can find that part online. I think I got mine from Great Lakes Skipper. Get a diameter and search.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a long time wood turner, I would suggest finding a local turner and have him/her turn one on the lathe. Wood is only one of many turnable possabilities. I have turned soap stone, alabaster, aluminium different plastics and resins . Just give them the dimensions and "presto" You will have one of a kind. Colored and hardened epoxyor polyester resins turn nicely on the lathe.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob not going to find many designs for printing GW parts out there. May have better luck on ebay or searching boat bone yard sites.

boslaw

Reaction score
Guess no one's into 3d printing? The beauty of 3d printing is that printing this purely decorative piece would cost a few pennies and take less time than it would to find a woodsmith and get one to turn a badge & figure out how to attach to my steering wheel. If I manage to design one myself I'll post it here for others.

boslaw

Reaction score
Some/all might work but given that I’ve lived without it for a few years and it’s entirely cosmetic, I’ll probably just try designing one and 3d printing myself. Will cost pennies to print and will be a learning experience I guess (and also personal to my boat :)