3rd Annual Grady White Shootout - Kismet, FI

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
Hello All,
It’s been a long while since I’ve had the time to jump on the forums (it’s scary what happens once you get a ‘real job’) but I wanted to throw out a quick announcement about the third annual Grady White Striped Bass and Bluefish Shootout happening at the Kismet Inn later this month in case anyone is interested in a late season Grady gathering.

The basic run down is that on Saturday, October 16th, Spellman’s, Spellman's at Grover’s, and Grady White, are sponsoring a one day Striped Bass and Bluefish Shootout for Grady White Owners only- FREE OF CHARGE!

The event again this year will be hosted at the Kismet Inn on Fire Island. Check in will be at 7:00am and weigh-in at 4:00pm. As it has been previously, our goal is to make this a first class family event. Feel free to bring your families to our weigh-in and awards buffet dinner.

Prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in both Striped Bass and Bluefish categories, as well as raffle prizes and other Grady logo-ed stuff have arrived hear on Long Island from the Grady-White factory in Greenville, North Carolina and are ready to be provided at no charge at our event again this year!

This is just a brief overview, for more information you can email me at cbellz@gmail.com (I'm Chris Jr, I help my father run the shootout) or call my father's office at Grover's: (516) 771-7020.

There are several forum members that have participated in past, so if you have any questions about the event please feel free to email me directly, or post questions here and maybe past participants can share some of their experiences from the first two events!

Tight Lines!

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I look foward to this Tourney every year. Its a FIRST CLASS Operation thats run by a GREAT group of people.. I highly Recommend setting the date aside to join us for a "Grady" Day.....

'05 300 Marlin F250's

MiMarlin

Reaction score
Can you please answer a couple of questions.
1-how many boats do you get
2-are the docks fixed with 2 poles at the bow
3-how long would it take to get there from peconic bay
running inside. anything to watch out for in great south bay.
thanks for info.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mi, i did it few times but from the outside, from inlet to inlet is about 47 miles, if you want to go from the inside i think it will take much longer and also there are a lot of sand bars that are not marked or shifted(this is what i was told), so it was no brainer for me to go on the outside.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
MiMarlin said:
Can you please answer a couple of questions.
1-how many boats do you get
2-are the docks fixed with 2 poles at the bow
3-how long would it take to get there from peconic bay
running inside. anything to watch out for in great south bay.
thanks for info.

1- The first two shootouts brought around 20 boats each. We are hoping to have the same this year.
2- Yes, the marina has fixed docks and two poles. I recommend having six dock lines with you- two stern lines, 2 springers, and two bow lines.
3- Unfortunately I'm coming from Jones Inlet so I can't speak to the travel time from peconic bay.

If you do decide to make the trip, or would like more information about the shootout, let me know!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I got an easy question.... where is this tourney for those of us not from the area? I am assuming it is in the north east some where....

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
Yes, its up in the northeast.

Specifically its run out of a town called Kismet on Fire Island, which is a barrier island on the south shore of Long Island, NY. If you search 'Kismet, Fire Island, NY' in Google Maps you'll see the exact spot.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
blackdiamond296 said:
This is just a brief overview, for more information you can email me at cbellz@gmail.com (I'm Chris Jr, I help my father run the shootout) or call my father's office at Grover's: (516) 771-7020.
Tight Lines!

Please send me any additional info (my screen name @aol) - I am trying to convince my team to participate - and need to give them an incentive. What are the prizes? What kind of free food?

Thanks

gradyVT

Reaction score
How did this event go?

Would like to try and make it next year.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FRI NIGHT
W WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...BECOMING NW 25 TO 30 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 7 TO 10 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.

SAT
NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 8 FT...THEN
SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FT LATE.

Should be interesting..... :uhm ..crap

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
Certainly looks like the fan will be blowin come Saturday... Guess that means we'll be fishin the bay rather than the beach!

On the upside, I heard from a Kismet sharpie last weekend that the shad were starting to move in, hopefully it helps!

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gman25 said:
FRI NIGHT
W WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...BECOMING NW 25 TO 30 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 7 TO 10 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.

SAT
NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 8 FT...THEN
SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FT LATE.

Should be interesting..... :uhm ..crap

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT EDT TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY
EVENING

FRI NIGHT
NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT. SEAS 6 TO
9 FT...SUBSIDING TO 5 TO 7 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SAT
NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT.

SAT NIGHT
NW WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 4 TO 6 FT...SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 4 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Forgive my ignorance - I'm a North Shore guy - based on this forecast at what point does GSB become unfishable?

georgemjr

Reaction score
The GSB never gets unfishable, you just can't get outside (or at least don't want to be there), and docking becomes difficult. In addition, the fish probably won't be biting if it is that nasty. Either way I'm in....

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
georgemjr said:
The GSB never gets unfishable, you just can't get outside (or at least don't want to be there), and docking becomes difficult. In addition, the fish probably won't be biting if it is that nasty. Either way I'm in....

I would agree, personnaly I'll be happy as long as I can get the boat between the poles without incident and have a good time. :lol:

I also think the bay will still be fishable. The Kistmet Inn Shootout (taking place 10/23, different from our GW shootout) is notorious for having bad weather, yet someone still manages to bring a 30 pounder to the dock every year!

With all that said, the decision to sail is up to each captain's discretion. Tomorrow's Shootout is still a go, but no one should put themselves in a position they are not comfortable with.

See you tomorrow, looking forward to meeting all the Great Grady participants!

georgemjr

Reaction score
The weather wasn't perfect, but, as usual, the event was. It is always run well, super friendly, great give-aways - great people. Fishing was good, and a bunch of fish were caught. Last year we had better weather and worse fishing - go figure. Thanks for putting on another great event. This is truly one I look forward to every year...

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
While the wind definitely was turned up quite a bit, I and most other participants I spoke with were pleasantly surprised at how fishable the bay and even Fire Island Inlet were on Saturday. All told there were about 12 bass and 6 bluefish brought to the scales, with the winners being a 23 pound bass and an 8 pound bluefish.

A special thanks to all the hearty Great Grady members who came out and continue to make this event a success. I don't know about you, but I'm already looking forward to next year (gale force winds or not)!!