4 bank battery charger recommendations

miamiGrady

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2000 Marlin 300 with re-powered 2006 yamaha 250's. I need to reinstall a new battery charger, the old one was a NOCO GEN4. The setup is 4 bank batteries, AC, fridge, water heater, Microwave, stove and Generator. Any tips or experiences with 4 bank battery chargers good or bad is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2000 Marlin 300 with re-powered 2006 yamaha 250's. I need to reinstall a new battery charger, the old one was a NOCO GEN4. The setup is 4 bank batteries, AC, fridge, water heater, Microwave, stove and Generator. Any tips or experiences with 4 bank battery chargers good or bad is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I have good luck with the Minn-Kota chargers. Had one of the 3 banks and it did great, trying to find a place for a 4 bank on my Seafarer, I'm pretty crowded with 4 batteries in the back already.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a lot of experience with the ProMariner ProNautic series. I work in the industry and the place I work at, the main line of boats we have (Sea Ray) has been using ProMariner for decades and they are pretty much bullet proof. Not to say that other brands aren't good, either - but I've had PM's on a couple of my boats as well and they have always been good. One of the things I like is that they will desulphate the batteries, as well.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm using a Promariner proSport20+. Its a 3 bank charger but I'm charging 4 batteries. the House bank is 2 batteries in parallel.
Its been working great. I'm very happy with it.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The 2017 Marlin uses the ProTournament 360 elite. Two sets of two batteries in parallel.

miamiGrady

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In my research I have come across two main types of design: Dry Mount Marine Battery Chargers (ProNautic 1250P,
BLUE SEA P12 Gen 2) and Waterproof Marine Battery Chargers (ProTourn Elite 36 Triple, NOCO Genius Gen4). Any thoughts on the Pros and Cons or dry mount vs waterproof design?

My battery charger will be mounted inside the battery/Generator compartment just forward of the Transom.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I’ve got an Enerdrive 3bank programmable charger..works for me with 7 AGM batteries, 2 blacktop for starting, 2 house and another 3 for winch and bowthruster.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's inside a compartment and doesn't get splashed or rained on, a dry mount is just fine. Every single Sea Ray that I'm aware of has the ProNautic mounted in the bilge (and it's been this way for decades, before ProMariner had the ProNautic series, as well). The word "dry" is a bit misleading as it leads you to believe that it must be in a "moisture zero" type place. It just needs to be protected from getting wet.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I got a great deal on a 2 bank Minn Kota on Amazon. It was priced so well, I mounted it to a board to charge batteries on my generator, fun cars, motorcycle etc. The thing is built like a tank and is a marine charger.

miamiGrady

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My wiring diagram is setup as pictured below. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Chris

Image-1.jpg

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Are you sure it’s a 4 bank and not 4 batteries connected on 2 banks? My 2006 Grady 330 Express was this set up. My guest charger went out in July and I replaced with a ProMariner ProTournament 1250 (12v 24v 36 Amp) 2 Bank 360 Elite Charger. Works great and is waterproof which I like because it’s installed in bilge. Easy install!

Attachments

• 9C89E671-F31B-4BD9-B1CB-263FB67880ED.jpeg
    9C89E671-F31B-4BD9-B1CB-263FB67880ED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
4 bank is probably not needed on this setup and 4 bank chargers are not as readily available through some of the brands that have been listed. Given the power needs you described, I would suggest a 3 bank charger and set it up so you have 1 batt (1 bank) for port cranking, 1 batt (1 bank) for stbd cranking and 2 batts in parallel (1 bank) for your house load. I've had the guest 2 bank, Promariner 3 bank and charles 3 bank on various boats - never had an issue with any of them. Recently I did some research, as i was contemplating replacing the the 2 bank guest i have (still works, but is old and i'm knee deep in a massive project in the bilge, so figured heck why not) onboard and I was heavily leaning towards the Bluseas P12. Don't forget ACR relays to isolate/combine batts during fire up and discharge. When i rewired my 265, I went with the BEP Cluster, which includes all the switches and relays and is really just a nice, neat and compact solution (bit of PIA to connect everything to, but once setup is very nice).

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe Prince is correct, a two bank is all you require.

suzukidave

Reaction score
interesting discussion. i'd vote 3 or 4 bank depending on house consumption.

i am conservative on this.

the motors need one starter battery each. the two starters should be totally isolated from each other on two different banks. the house should be a third bank capable of being charged by either motor selectively (but never both) or, if one motor cannot handle that load you should do a hard wired split of your house load between two house banks each charged by one of the motors. you can use as many batteries as you need in the house bank(s).

that set up prevents you from ever flattening both starter batteries at once through a single mistake or failure. i do not like putting a second battery in true parallel with a starter battery to service a house load since that doubles the risk of battery failure and increases the risk of a flat battery.