4 blade props on 208

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went with four blades about 5 or 6 years ago. I have a 225 HP back there and the boat is quite heavy in the stern. The four blades provide a lifting force that gets you up on plane much quicker. What prop do you need? I bought a Power Tech. It came as a recommendation from Max at Chesapeake Bay Propeller in Chesapeake, VA. I went with his judgement, and the boat performs so much better. Max is always a gentleman, is quite knowledgeable, and his prices are reasonable. For that reason, Max is always my first call with prop and hub issues.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for that hotajax, what size and pitch blade are you running on the Power Tech? Cheers trapper

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
trapper said:
Thanks for that hotajax, what size and pitch blade are you running on the Power Tech? Cheers trapper

I bought this prop from Power Tech: ELE4R15PMS275 to run on my 208.

Pitch is 15 inches. Diameter = 15 inches. It's logical that a 4th blade will require some give-back, either in diameter or pitch. But that added surface area of the 4th blade is a big plus.
It's supposed to be an "economy" prop, but I don't see why. This prop is a trooper, and I would buy it again in a second if somebody boosted it from me. No issues with rust inside the hub. Hope this helps. Hot Ajax

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks hotajax, Still trying to access different props this side of the border. There is no place locally to try out props so when the decision is made and the bucks spent it better be the correct choice. We have the same boat but not sure how much difference there is in power between the F225 and the F200i4 at the prop. Anyway, will have make a decision soon one way or another. Cheers trapper

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, after after a lot of research meditation and help from you guys I bought a new prop. Could not access anything for trial up here on the Island. Really wanted to try a 4 blade, but not luck on find a loaner to try so... The Yamaha dealer here loaned a Reliance 14 1/2 x 15p to try as I was running a 17p Reliance. It got my RPM at WOT where I believed they should be at 5900 with an average load. Interesting enough, ran it light almost empty of fuel got 5900, Filled with fuel approx. 370 lbs. and lost 100 rpm running a 5800 wot. In doing my homework talked to a dealer who has sold a lot of the Yamaha 200i4 and was told by Yamaha that motor should be propped to a s close to 6000 at WOT as possible. Suggesting the other four strokes can be propped with a little lower rpm 5700-6000. Anyway one day I might be able to borrow a 4 blade to tryout for now all is well. Price up here in buck beaten Canada $800 although the local dealer gave a bit of a break. Must be something to do with being such a good guy. 8) Cheers and thanks, trapper

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add to this so people can easily find it via Google search in the future.

2005 Adventure 208
2013 Suzuki DF250AP (electronic throttle)

Previous:
Suzuki 15-1/2 x 17 SS 3 blade
Didn’t test myself but was told 6100 rpm and 48 mph

Current:
PowerTech LFS4 19” pitch. Intentionally went with the highest recommended pitch as the ocean conditions here (Hawaii) don’t allow for WOT or anywhere near it. Looking for better efficiency and midrange/cruising speed and trolling from 5-8 knots. Tested once but ran out of navigable water to dial in the engine trim and trim tabs. 37 knots and 5350 rpm and climbing. WOT rpm for the engine is 5400-6100 rpm. Would like to try an 18 pitch but it’s not worth the hassle and return shipping charge. Low rpm response is greatly improved so docking is easier. Able to plane down to about 14-15 knots in flat water; used to be 18 minimum. Can now troll at 1800 rpm, 2.2 gph, and 3.4-3.9 mpg in calm conditions and 2100 rpm, 3.0 gph, and 2.5-3.0 mpg is choppier conditions.

Call Ken Reeves at Prop Gods if you have any questions. He has records of many different hull and engine combinations and can steer you in the correct direction for your application.

Reactions: jimever