4 killed in boating accident

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The following is a report from Venice, LA. It has been reported by some of the people at the Marina that it is a twin engine, Grady White. They are saying that one engine was ripped from the boat and that they probably hit the jetty that is submerged at high tide.

VENICE, La. (Associated Press) --

Four people died and one was rescued Saturday after their boat capsized during a fishing trip on the Gulf of Mexico, according to Louisiana authorities.

Department of Wildlife and Fisheries spokesman Adam Einck said the five left a marina near Venice in south Louisiana at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday but that their twin-engine boat's motor went out an hour or so later. The boat took on water and capsized.

Einck said three victims were from Alabama and one was from Louisiana. He said the survivor, 33-year-old Heath Dowsey of Alabama, told authorities he held onto a rope on the front of the capsized sport fishing vessel. The four others, including his father and uncle, became unresponsive, apparently from hypothermia. They were clinging to the side of the boat and four life jackets, which they had not been able to put on, Eink quoted Dowsey as saying.

The crew of an oil industry supply vessel found the survivor around 1 p.m. and transported him to a U.S. Coast Guard vessel. He was taken to the Coast Guard station in Venice where he was treated for mild hypothermia by emergency medical personnel, but he declined transport to a hospital.

The Coast Guard identified the victims early Sunday as Wayne Dowsey, the survivor's father; Randy Dowsey, the survivor's uncle; a woman, Kerri Burns; and Kenny Mac of Venice, La.

"They were not able to get out a distress call before this happened," Einck said.

Einck said the boat capsized about three miles offshore, near the South Pass entrance to the Mississippi River.

"It is believed that the four deceased succumbed to hypothermia," he said, adding that the survivor said they became unresponsive after about an hour. "The fifth was able to crawl on top of the boat that was capsized and we believe that was probably why he was able to (survive) the cold water."

The Coast Guard said in a news release that it received a call from a crew member aboard the Sea Angel, a 165-foot offshore crew boat, reporting they'd found Heath Dowsey "clinging to the hull of an overturned sport fishing vessel. Dowsey was not wearing a life jacket when he was found."

The bodies of the four victims were found floating in the water and were transported to the U.S. Coast Guard station in Venice.

The state Wildlife and Fisheries department is investigating the deaths. Officials were unable to recover the boat Saturday and will try again Sunday.

U.S. Coast Guard petty officer William Colclough said late Saturday "it's very difficult to withstand, to remain conscious, in extremely cold water. That's why it's very important all boaters wear life jackets at all times."

He said that when someone is unexpectedly thrown into cold waters, they may undergo torso reflex, which can cause them to ingest water and drown. He added it's very difficult to retrieve and put on a life jacket at the same time.

"It most cases it can happen in a matter of seconds, if a second," he said of a capsizing. "It's just not enough time to put one on."
Sunday, February 13, 2011 @ 8:52:16 AM

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
I read that it may have been a 28 Grady. They may have hit rocks.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
Any word yet on what model Grady it was? I sure hope it wasnt a poor design that did them in. Would be horrible for GW if thats the case. I hate to say but Id rather it be human error in this case which is probably the cause. Sad way to start the boating season. Prayers to the victims and their families.

30marlin

Reaction score
Searched the newspapers stories. No mentioned of the boat hitting the rocks.
The survivor said after an hour on the water one engine quit.
They went and checked the engine and notice flooding and shut off the other engine which made the problem worse.
Some other write ups make it sound like they got swamped when they shut down the other engine.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the newspapers are mixed up on their reporting. I hear from some of the people that have condo's and slips down there that one of the engines were torn off. The thinking is that they cut across the rock jetty that is partially or fully submerged depending on the tides. They took on water from a hole in the transom and didn't have time to put on life jackets.

They are going to bring the boat back to Venice and I will let you know more when I find out. No one is suspecting that there was equipment malfunction, at least not from what I am hearing.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
What a tragedy. A few weeks ago when asked by one of my fishing buddies why we were not out fishing in the Gulf at this time of year, I replied, Well old buddy if something goes amiss out there this time of year and we wind up in the water, we probably are not going to make it. Warmer weather and warmer water are not that far away. My deepest sympathies to all affected by this accident.

Ken

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only thing I have been able to verify is that the boat was a 283 Grady White, like mine. I cannot find out the year or engines, yet.

The story I hear is that one engine shut down and the captain pulled back on the other throttle. This caused the boat to slow to a near stop and water rushed over the rear bulkhead, flooding the cockpit. The boat swamped before they could get life jackets on.

I think something else must have contributed because I cannot picture enough water coming over the rear bulkhead to fill the cockpit in my boat. Water would have to be two or three feet deep in the motor well for this to happen. Even with the bulkhead door open, I think the buoyancy of the boat would raise the aft end and stop water from coming in.

Probably all the occupants and/or their survivors had "lawyered up" and it may be a long time before we find out if there were any contributing issues.

I will let you know if I hear anything else. I'm not sure if a bilge pump warning light or bell would have helped but I'm equally sure it would not have hurt.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Very sad story.

I too agree that you are not going to take water over the stern by merely slowing the boat down unless a huge wave is coming up on you. My bet is seacock failure or a seacock left open and a hose coming undone. I guess that with the added weight of the water sitting in the rear of the bulge that would get the boat sitting lower in the stern and when he pulled the good engine back a wave could have come over the stern and finished the job of swamping to boat.

lgusto

Reaction score
This accident sounds to me very similar to the Grady that capsized in the Chesapeake on 12/30 (search this forum for details). In that instance something let water into the hull while underway and when they stopped the boat capsized very quickly. Part of all mariner training talks about paying attention to the feel of the boat while underway, especially when it begins to feel sluggish.

My guess, posed by others in this post, is that a hose or through hull failed, filling the boat with water and somehow killing engine #1. When they stopped the loss of buoyancy led to a capsize. Admittedly this is a lot of assumptions but it does add up to me.

Which leads me back to my comment about a bilge switch light, or as others have suggested a high water alarm. I'm going to do this on my boat this year.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Okay, new information.

My dealer has information that the boat was not a 283 but a 257 with twin 150's. It is his understanding that they were coming out of the South Pass of the Mississippi River which has rock jetties on both sides for a long way out. These jetties are sometimes submerged.

They tried to cut short and pass over the jetty but they hit the rocks. Whether they did this not knowing about the jetty or just thought that they could make it, no one knows at this time. Of the 5 people on the boat, three or four were not from this area. They might not have known about the jetty but if I remember, there are buoys all the way out past the jetty.

Evidently the hull was holed and when they backed off the jetty they got back up on a plane and this put so much water in the hull that the bilge pumps couldn't keep up. My dealer thinks that the batteries in the 257 are below the water line or whatever and/or something shorted out one engine. When they backed off the other engine the boat settled and water came into the cockpit. They evidently did not know the pumps were working.

Makes the case for some kind of system warning of water in the bilge.

30marlin

Reaction score
Looking at my Marlin owners manual, it says right in there that my boat has a high water alarm.
I know it does not.

I will be installing a alarm, that is for sure.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
30marlin said:
Looking at my Marlin owners manual, it says right in there that my boat has a high water alarm.
I know it does not.

I will be installing a alarm, that is for sure.

It should be in the cabin(why?????) It is a small panel with a switch that says on/off/test and a little speaker/sounder in white color.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 1988 Grady does not have a dedicated high water alarm, but I sure notice every time the automatic bilge turns on and the yellow light comes on at the dash. If I am running and it comes on for what appears to be no reason, you better bet that I am going to check it out.

gradydriver

Reaction score
Some type of warning buzzer AND flashing light combo makes the most sense for the high water alarm you guys are going to patent and make a boat load of coin. :mrgreen:

no problem

Reaction score
I cant remember what I paid for mine but here it is. I always test it before a trip when I test my bilge float. I mounted the float a few inches higher than my bilge float so as soon as the bilge gets overwhelmed I get a light and a buzzer alarm. Long before the cavernous bilge is full of water with hopefully enough time to find and address the source of the water. It's cheap peace of mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Rule-33ALA-Marine ... B000O8D2RG