4 stroke vs HPDI on a Grady CC

stephendudra

Reaction score
I own a 99 Chase 263. Currently have OX66 225's on it. I am considering moving to the 4 stroke F225 or an HPDI. I am wondering if anyone else out there has a Chase model with 4 strokes on it or HPDI's on it that can speak on the phone about it.

My email address is stephendudra@Yahoo.com. Please email me and I will call you to discuss. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

Stephen

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have a 272 that weighs a little more than your boat. When I repowered 2 years ago I went with the HPDI 200 hp motors. I did this because of the cost factor but more so because of the weight. The new lighter Yahama motors were not out yet. My boat with the 200 hp HPDI motors is 6 mph faster than with my old OX66 200 hp's and my fuel and oil burn rate went down by about 40% at the same rpms. I am faster than a friends 272 with 225 hp OX at the same rpms.

stephendudra

Reaction score
What kind of burn of fuel are you getting on your boat? What is the top speed of your boat do you think?

walt bowen

Reaction score
I have a 01 263 w/200 hpdi's, top speed is right at 50mph and the fuel economy is very good as well, I've seen 2.4 - 2.6 w/light load cruise. I'm sure either motor would be a good fit, from a performance and maintenance side I think I would lean toward the hpdi's and as you prob. know the 200 hpdi's are a bullet proof motor.

walt bowen
01 263 Chase
w/200 hpdi's

stephendudra

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am looking at a pair of 250 HPDI's. Not sure that I want to drop the dime just yet though.

Desperado

Reaction score
Personally, I would lean towards 200HPDIs over the 250s. They are not the same motor. The 250 is a 3.1L block while the 200 is a 2.6l. The 200HPDI has the reputation as being one of the most effecient and reliable motors ever made by Yamaha. Some (not all) 3.1L engines have had issues.

stephendudra

Reaction score
I too have heard of the issues on the 250's and 300's. As I said, I am just gathering information really regarding these engines to determine what I want to do. From what I am gathering, even going to 4 strokes, really wouldnt gain me that much MPG to make me scream and shout with enjoyment. However, not having to buy 2 stroke oil that certainly would make me smile!! :D

wanderer200

Reaction score
stephendudra said:
From what I am gathering, even going to 4 strokes, really wouldnt gain me that much MPG to make me scream and shout with enjoyment. However, not having to buy 2 stroke oil that certainly would make me smile!! :D

You can pay for oil changes instead. :?

stephendudra

Reaction score
LOL I hear ya! I am mechanically inclined so I would more than likley do something like that myself.

stephendudra

Reaction score
In doing more research, man did the 250 HPDI's have issues or what!!!! I know my OX66 pretty well sooooo I might just stick it out a while longer until I am ready to mortgage the house for new 225's 4 strokes! lol

PJJR

Reaction score
I would NOT repower with the 250 HPDI's. They have probably been the worst engine Yamaha EVER made. While the 200 HPDI'S are perhaps the Best motors Yamaha ever made. Why there were so many problems with the big blocks ?, 1,000 psi on the big blocks, compared to 700 psi on the small blocks, water intrusion, oiling problems, ecu changes etc..

DB

Reaction score
Just a question...Why does YAMAHA only offer three HPDi motors in their current line up and 36 four strokes
if the HPDi's are so great?

TunaT

Reaction score
I can speak from the 4 stroke side with a pair of 225's.....I usually run around 1.8 to 2.2 MPG, fully loaded, with about 1 mile traveled in a harbor and bay all other times are bouncing in the Atlantic. The lower MPG seems to mirror sea conditions and amount of trolling being done. Have I had any issues with the 4-stokes...answer is Yes, lost a starter (under warranty, lucky) and just lost a water pump. I typically cruise at 2800 to 3500 Rpm, depending on seas and I leave the 3 sided plastic in place year round and drop the wings on windy days...due to the wind driven spray. I see people posting high end numbers, I have no idea, I've never seen it calm enough in the ocean to warrant running about 4500 rpm....at those speeds things happen too fast in a boat. What ever you decide to do, I would check with grady customer service as the weight of those 4 strokes might be an issue for the transom. They would be be able to tell you what to do.

Desperado

Reaction score
DB said:
Just a question...Why does YAMAHA only offer three HPDi motors in their current line up and 36 four strokes
if the HPDi's are so great?

You sell what the market demands, and most people want 4 strokes. Most people think bad fuel economy and lots of smoke are associated with 2 strokes, so that kills demand. Yamaha is just doing what makes good business sence. I do beleive 4 strokes are the future, but I love HPDIs :)

stephendudra

Reaction score
Last weekend I took my boat out with 7 adults on it to cruise the river. At 3700 RPM's, I was cruising at 36-27 MPH according to my GPS. I was geting 1.4-1.5 GPH on my flow gauge. I have twin 225 ox66's.

So I think that before I do anything, I will have to loose an engine or something because I have to ask myself is it really worth the extra .5 GPH and no 2 stroke oil to spend 20 plus thousand dollars........

But I love everyone's opinions on this matter.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yamaha decided to market 4 strokes to the saltwater market, and limit the HPDIs to the freshwater bass boat market where 4 strokes continue to be dead as a door nail. If you don't know by now why Direct Injection 2 strokes pound for pound are superior motors in performance and price to 4 strokes, then no use to debating it out.
Look in your Yamaha product catalog and you wil see the full line of 2 strokes and the HDPI 2nd generation motors.

Emissions are the same or very similar between two. ETECs have same 3 star CARB rating, so emissions has nothing to do with anything.
HPDIs are 2 star CARB rating.

The fact is you can buy a 200HPDI new today, more than 11 yrs after it was introduced - speaks to itself. Considering in most of that time Yamaha's F200 was/is in production.
250/300 HPDI has been discontinued, but 2nd generation 250/300 HPDIs for bass boaters are in the catalog.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, Grady's owns tests of performance on the Sailfish 282 with HPDI vs. F225s shows the HPDI superior in fuel economy. Not by much, but superior, meanwhile another 230 lbs of dead weight is permantely bolted to the transom and higher initial purchase price for te h230 lbs of dead weigh in hardware, a few hundred extra parts.

Good thing I printed out the tests, long gone from their site.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that the 150, 175, and 200 HPDIs are the best motors Yamaha has ever made. And that goes across all of their product lines. Like BobP said, 11 years and still going says it all.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Having had 2 of both 200hpdi's and F225's on my 265 Express I can say the 2 strokes will out perform the 4's but are much noiser at troll and whilst not bad they still smell whilst the 4's don't smell at all.

Economy is better with the 2 strokes but then you have to add in the oil. The F225's will weigh more and that may be a consideration. The 4"s should have much better resale.

Really comes down to what you intend doing. If you troll a lot then the 4's are certainly a big improvement otherwise the 200 hpdi's will probably suffice. Once you've had 4 strokes then going to 2 strokes seems a retrograde step.