4blade

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi guys, having thoughts about a 4 blade prop. Are any of you running a 4 blade prop on 208 with the Yamaha f200i4? Would appreciate hearing from you with the make of prop and diameter and pitch and rpm and speed numbers. Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hookup1 said:
I have been running a 268 Islander with twin Yamaha f-150's with 17 x 14 1/4 3-blade Yamaha Reliance stainless.

Generally the boat is a 10 knot or 20 knot boat with no in-between. I want to improve my low end performance so I can plane at lower speed. I have plenty of top end and can only use it on the best of days.

I spoke to Ken at propgods.com and he recommended swap for 15 x 14 4-blade. Thinks my low speed performance would significantly improve and maybe even my top end speed.

Propgods.com recommended these…

https://propgods.com/shop/ols/products/ptz4 (on order)
or these
https://propgods.com/shop/ols/products/ptz3 (similar to Yamaha Reliance)

So I've had my chance to test these props in the Florida Keys this winter. For my 1997 268 Islander w/twin F150's they are absolutely perfect. Dropped 2" of pitch, 1/4" of diameter and changed to a different style prop (vs Yamaha Reliance). Significant - unbelievable improvement in low and mid range performance. Boat will plow and plane at lower speeds that could not be done before. Top end unaffected. In rough seas motors don't bog down and "grip" better to keep boat from falling off. Highly recommend.

A lot of boaters think dropping pitch will slow the boat down. Not always true. If over propped and "slipping" its too much load on the engines. Prop correctly and increase efficiency. Absolute game changer for me!

seasick

Reaction score
If I may ask, what props did you install ( Make, model , size/pitch)? Do you know the gear ration of your motors? 1.86 perhaps?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok guys, I apologize for bringup the 4 bad prop saga again. It appears I brought up the same subject back in Dec. 2015- Jan2016. It was well reviewed then and I did not end up with a 4 blade because of the restrictions (cost and availability here on the Island) I guess I was hoping things had changed. Not so unfortunately......the cost of shipping (weight factor etc.) across the border at this time, does not seem to make any improvement in changing to a 4 worth while. Do certainly appreciate those so willing to help on this GG forum.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
For what's its worth. I've got a 208 with a f150. I tried a 4 blade prop 2 pitches lower than I had. Did not like it. Lost 6 mph and lost 5,000 rpms on the top end. I did get on plane quicker but not enough for me to justify. Stayed on plane at slightly lower rpms but not a big difference from my 3 blade prop.