5” deep, 3” diameter hole saw for maxwell windlass install

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Does anyone know the best way to drill a 3” od hole that will be 5” deep into the pulpit? I’m trying to get ready for a maxwell windlass install on my islander and that’s what it requires.

Reactions: Fuzz

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Use a 3" OD hole saw until it bottoms out. Remove the hole saw. Use a screw driver to break out the cylinder that sticks up. Repeat.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ok. I was hoping there was a better way. I’ve done this before and it’s a slow and go process. Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, like Bill said, just break it out and go at it again. What do you mean by "slow"? It should only take you a couple mintues to break out the core.

And... your pulpit is 5" deep... solid???

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, what others have said. Drill, bottom out, break out, repeat. Same way I did my Lewmar install last year.

20201017_142816.jpg

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just drilled out the 3/8” mounting holes and the pulpit was a foam cored so the 3” core should be no problem. I was thinking it was solid glass/ wood. The best part about switching from a Lewmar to a maxwell is that I cannot reuse any holes except one. Great. Out comes the epoxy and glass.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Another way of doing it, drill down until the hole saw bottoms, remove it, use a drill bit to drill the pilot hole all the way then use the hole saw from underneath until it meets the other cut . Another option after the saw bottoms out use a smaller hole saw to cut another hole inside the bigger one, it is easier to break the cut piece.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yep, what others have said. Drill, bottom out, break out, repeat. Same way I did my Lewmar install last year.

View attachment 21195

Come on KY….this is a family site.

That Lewmar is unbelievably sexy,…. to the point of possibly violating the TOS here.