5" Makes a Big Difference

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep my 208 in dry stack so I don't trailer it that much. I did trailer it down to Beaufort, SC (Bew-Fort not Bo-Fort) for a little cobia fishing and I found out again that the thing was not right. The bow of the boat bounced horribly whenever you hit a bump in the road. I looked closely and noticed the rear of the boat hung off the bunks about 5" and the bow stop assembly had been moved back. I bought this 2nd hand out of Florida.

I assume this was done to reduce the tongue weight but I don't really know. I took it to the boat ramp and moved the bow stop back to the original position and readjusted everything. I had to back it in the water to pull the boat back up to where it should be. I towed it back to the drystack and what a difference. It towed and behaved just as it should. What a difference 5" makes.

bfrank

Reaction score
I experienced similar when trailering my Jeep. A few inches front or back made a big difference.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's what she said...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I knew no one could leave the 5" comment alone for too long!

To be serious, you were lucky you didn't, have an accident with the boat in the original position. Low tongue weight is a great way to create trailer sway. Trailer sway at highway speeds without electric brakes to correct the condition is VERY dangerous. Considering how much you moved the boat, you might have some more fine tuning to improve the ride more. We slid our Voyager 1" back to get the truck to track better. Even that little movement made a difference.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It scared me a bit when I was coming uip I-95 and hit a big dip in the road and it moved my suburban halfway onto the shoulder of the road. It trailers so good now I don't want to move it again.
btw, I was waiting on the comment.

BobrUSMC

Reaction score
I got my triple axle EZLoader with the boat (97 Sailfish). Had trouble with trailer sway, but couldn't adjust anything on the trailer. Hit on the idea of turning the trailer hitch over to get the extra height and more weight on the hitch. Worked fine.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought this rig from a guy in Daytona Beach Fl. I guess he only had to trailer it a couple of miles to get in the water. I like to go different places and like the trailer-ability since I will tow it for 6-7 hrs some times to go to Morehead City, NC. I have only been scared once or twice while pulling a boat and this one was a scary one. I'm glad it is pulling OK now.

Om another note about trailers, I was headed to Myrtle Beach earlier this spring and this group of riders from Pennsylvania passed me. I had to video the trailer sway on this bike. I bet it was a long ride from PA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8T9xLyJRIc