$67,785 for a 20 foot boat! Do I laugh now?

timmons

Reaction score
I've been shopping, reading what you guys have to say and looking at the market. I just asked my local dealer for a price quote on a 20' Tournament. The number I get back, now this is for a new, 2009 model with a 250hp four stroke , canvas, washdown, and paddles, is $67k! This doesn't include the trailer! Am I nuts? Is the dealer nuts? Is the world nuts? Did I choose the wrong career?

I'm sorry guys. Maybe I'll just turn down the lights and listen to some music tonight. Thanks for being there for me.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
That sounds more like the price for the 225. Find out what your dealer is smoking and see if he will sell me some?

Bama96

Reaction score
Why buy new in this market? Too many good deals on used boats. How about a used 225? This is one heck of a deal.
http://www.fishtale.com/sales_usedboats.html
2005 Tournament 225 for $38,900 W/F225. :shock: Offer him 34K and go get your boat. 8) I would be all over this one. Don't know the owner I have just been looking for a 265 Express and I came across this. It stuck out.

timmons

Reaction score
I'd be happy if that were the case. I don't know if the guy is serious or whether this is just part of the negotiation process. Some items on the quote include $650 to put the engine on, $750 dealer prep, steering is $1460, fenders/cleats/anchor $550.

I'm beginning to think GW believes that it's better to sell a few boats at inflated prices and high profits rather than sell more volume and make their money that way. But what do I know, I'm not a business person. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I was hoping the 225 would be priced, as you say, in the 60's, and maybe the 205 could be had for $50k or so.

I'm probably just getting old. The numbers are changing too fast for me.

Brad1

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Why buy new in this market? Too many good deals on used boats.

I agree with Bama96. Find a nice clean used one if you can. You'll save yourself alot of money. Next best thing is to find a model year leftover sitting on a dealer's lot that they want to get rid of. That's the route I took. In '04, I got my Grady 226 for $27k less than that price you were quoted, and the price I paid for my 226 did include the trailer. Got all the factory warranties too. Matter of fact, my motor is still warranted for two more seasons thanks to the promotion Yamaha was running at the time.

I also agree that $67k price the dealer gave you on a new boat is insane.

DBV

Reaction score
That seems like a good deal, but a ton of hours on the motors for a 2005 - right? 735 hours.

Bama96 said:
Why buy new in this market? Too many good deals on used boats. How about a used 225? This is one heck of a deal.
http://www.fishtale.com/sales_usedboats.html
2005 Tournament 225 for $38,900 W/F225. :shock: Offer him 34K and go get your boat. 8) I would be all over this one. Don't know the owner I have just been looking for a 265 Express and I came across this. It stuck out.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
RUN from that dealer......They are trying to play you...badly...Here's another example of a 2005 225 Tournament....This one with only 187 hours.....

http://www.poemarine.com/index.ihtml?pa ... il&id=1792

There are and will continue to be plenty of used boats around for you to look at.....If you are set on new...find another dealer ...Not only is the overall price ridiculous but he's charging you for things that are included in the boat.....Steeering is FACTORY rigged.....And, it is odd that the boat has no motor as most GW's ship rigged.....Did he pull the motor off for another boat? If so, then the boat's original list included a rigged motor...You should not have to pay twice.......RUN from that dealer......Where are you located?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That $67K number is MSRP...you can buy a 205 for right around $50K.

You can buy a new '09 225 for the mid 60s.....

The used 225 in Florida has 735 hours on it, no electronics, only a bimini, and no other options. (No head, short platform, no washdown, etc...)

Bama96

Reaction score
700 hrs is nothing on a 4 stroke. These motors will run well past 3000 hrs if maintained properly. This was just an example. My point to the original poster is keep looking. We are going into the fall and there are going to be some deals on 08's as well. The 09's are coming in and the dealers still have 08's sitting there. Good luck.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It could be worse, new 28' Boston Whaler Center Console, are you ready...$157,000! For A center console! What a joke. But it can store like 20 rods...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No need to be insulted, it's all a game.
If you are more than tire kicking, I mean serious, then consider this:

Offer dealer $40K and say you are doing him a favor at that and if he was wise he's take it - make sure he lets you know by end of the business day no later since you are shopping and have other boats including 1 - 2 yr Gradys under consideration. Remind him what Fed Chairman Bernacke said this week, 2009 is going to be worse or no better than 2008. That's right, at least another year of this forclosure crap going on.

timmons

Reaction score
I don't feel insulted, I just feel like there is no sense in looking. As in, I'll find another love than the water. More specifically, there's another love than Grady White.

I appreciate all the encouragement. I will keep looking, used market especially. I had never purchased new before, and it was a move I was considering, having worked a long time and all.

Good bunch here, THANKS for the help, in many ways.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Some people don't want to buy used, I understand, if you want the new Grady don't let the sales department get in your way.

Some could care less about the price you posted and just write out the check, that's what every salesman dreams of for every customer who walks thru the door, but doesn't mean it has to apply to you, it doesn't to me for sure.

I would suspect for Grady boats, it is more common to find more blank check customers than other brands. It was only a few years ago where the best deal you could get on a Grady this time of year (with no leftovers) is the dealer giving you the next year model while holding the same year price, and if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the tush on the way out. Then a big smile and have a nice day is added.

If you don't know how to negotiate in these "buyers market" times I also understand, it's been a very long time since it was last this way. So take advantage of it while it's here. I wish I was in the market to buy now.

You can become more of an "educated consumer" by shopping around among other brands too, and other Grady dealers - go to any Grady dealer you want and to any other state, and don't feel bad about saying where you are from. Remember, if no boats are sold, no food on the table. Not to mention electric bills, mortages, real estate taxes, whatever.

Then when you walk in the door, you will know how to get what you want at your price as long as reasonable, if price matters to you, irrespective of what comes out of the salesman's mouth.

You can also ask to see the manager and ask for another salesman, just say it wasn't a good match. This will also indicate you are one step up being serious.

I would suggest you visit the boat shows in your area, not first day, but last day, and talk turkey. They dont want to haul all those unsold boats back to the dealer lot, they have to go.

Like I wrote, my advise is only for people who are not blank check types, not that there is anything wrong with that. To each their own.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They are always going to "try you on" for full list first, see if you'll bite. It does three things...
eliminates you if you're not really a buyer
makes them a ton of $$ if you agree
adjusts your thinking up if you are serious.

The negotiations begin here if you're serious about buying.

It's like when you go buy a car, they show window sticker, and will purposely low-ball your trade value. By doing that it embarrasses you into thinking your trade is worth less before you even start haggling. It's an old sales ploy, shock works!

Another tactic if they think you're going to walk is called a 'bubble'. They low-ball you a price you can't buy at, but you go out shopping everyone else looking for your bubble price. When you find you can't do it you go back to buy at their lowball price and they haggle a deal with you where they can make some money. But they get you back when you're actually ready to buy.

I was out to our local dealer that carries BACK COVE YACHTS, looking at their 28 footer. Dealer says it's about $220K for one fit out with all the stuff. Well, if I don't want all the stuff, list on the boat is about $183K Still, this is for a 28 footer with a single diesel, yikes. And a three year old one just sold for $180K out here. Frieght in is about ten grand. He also sells "a fancier model" for about $350K. I forget what brand, but geez, that's ridiculous. You can buy a damn nice 35-40 footer for that.

Watch out for 'junk fees'. Those are all the stupid add-on crap they try to hit you with. Don't agree to them.

The Grady dealer out here was so pissed off I didn't buy a new boat from them they wouldn't even talk to me later at a boat show, and they won't even show me a bigger one, won't followup, are just not interested in working with me. That is really short-sighted. What, did they think I was only going to buy ONE boat in my lifetime???

Before there was the internet, people really got screwed, hard. Dealers laughed all the way to the bank.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The vest pocket manual for sales training is hefty enough to cause back problems!

I would expect the target customer base for new Back Coves to be more in line with older accomplished blank check types, wanna-be hinkley-ers, not that there is anything wrong with that.

We better lay off, otherwise we are about to hear the "Sales experience and after sale service means everything" etc. justification.

I'm sure it was also not long ago Gradys were like Toyota Priuses today, need to get on waiting list, price is whatever it is (leave blank check with deposit thank you, don't call us, we will let you know when it arrives, you get the color available, not what you may have asked for, etc.).

Can't blame Grady salesmen, they got fat and lazy over many years of it - it was too easy, now they have to work it, actually look eager instead of looking annoyed. In state of denial, is still going on.
Of course, not to all did this apply, some actually realize there are people working hard out there for a living and this is a major major expenditure, regardless of economic times, and will work up a sweat doing all they can to get you behind the wheel.

Blank checking has much sense to it, they guys aren't stupid, in prior times the boat prices on a year to year same model basis were escalating so much the usually good resale for Gradys in a few years showed better and very little loss on the tradeup.

Car showrooms are the same way. The aloofness attitude was the worst of it. I've received more appropriate and higher level of attention from salesmen/women in PC Richards (appliance store) while looking at $200 window air conditioners.

I would also suggest to guys who don't know how to buy Gradys or any other boat in todays market to contract with a buyers rep, I think Broker John F on this GG site is worth the hire. Now is time to buy, wait too long, and you will regret it.

Scouter

Reaction score
I looked at several Tourn 20s last spring. Was within 1 hr of pulling the trigger on a nice one, until I jumped into an Adventure 20 that was next to it. Ended up with the adventure. Its a lot more boat. Your mission may not call out for the cuddy, but its been great for us this summer. A place for the girls to pee is worth a lot, and to tell you the truth, I have found, after throwing the hook,its an exceptional place to take a sunday afternoon nap. I had my heart set on the tourn, but glad I bought the Adventure. There have been some outstanding deals lately, I know of 2 22 ft Seafarers/four stroke with less than 50 hrs time for 45K for sale.

Jim

striped bass

Reaction score
Timmons:
That salesman is off the wall. I was quoted a similar price for a NEW Tournamnet 225 fully rigged for that price. Someone has their model numbers mixed up. Have a few martinis and enjoy the weekend. The three hurricanes coming up the coast will chase customers even further away from the dealers. Go back in a few weeks and I'm sure you will have a different attitiude and see different prices.

sharkboy

Reaction score
My rule is never buy a new boat, especially if you can rent one. I have a used Whaler which I stole used, and just picked up a used Grady White. Tip -- buy in the late Summer or Fall when the owner will have to pay for one more year of storage...

Also, some of the worst boats I have ever seen were brand new. I mean lemons. I once saw a boat where the owner couldn't figure out why the port and starboard motors ran at different RPM, and after many, many hours of troubleshooting they find out the factory put on two different sized props! Buying a used boat from a good owner means that all the break-in problems have already been fixed. Just my $.02.