6hp 4 stroke on a 10'6" dingy

freddy063

Reaction score
I got my new motor today for my dingy , it's a 6 hp Yamaha weights about 90 lbs, anyone have have a setup like this and can tell me how it works? I like the way looks, just worried it's to big for what I need, boat haves a max of 15HP size .Boat is a rib 10'6'' full fiberglass bottom, rubber sides. Thanks for any input.

River Rat

Reaction score
We had a 6hp Suzuki on a 9'-6" AB RIB. The 6 hp pushes the boat fine. If you want to get it up on plane, you'll need a tiller extension so you can sit up front. Also won't plane with more than one person. Our boat weighed about 108# dry. The package worked great as a tender to our last boat. If you want to race around, or pull any toys, you'll probably want to look at a 9.9 hp.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
Might be a tad big, but I'm sure it will work.
I got a rollup dingy and rebuilt an early 1970s 4 hp Evinrude. That motor is a very simple 2-stroke that weighs about 35 lbs. I like the fact I can take on my boat and inflate when I get to where I'm going.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had the same 9ft ab rib as river rat. Originally bought it with a 5hp, wouldn't plane off but pushed the boat around for most uses. Replaced it with a 9.9 merc. It was a different boat, quick, it would plane off easily with 2 people and gear. tried pulling a tube with it once, but couldn't get any speed. I now have a roll up 8ft dingy with a 3.5hp it won't plane off, but pushes the boat fine around the marina and from anchorage to shore.
all depends on what your intended use is. If you need something to just to get around the marina in or go from anchorage to the beach in protected waters and don't care about speed. The 6hp is probably fine. If you plan on loading it up with people in gear and going any distance or want speed, you may want to think of more power.