70lb Bull Dolphin off Jupiter

flyboy911

Reaction score
We were out the inlet by 8am with little expectation with a West wind and all. Wind out of the West...Stay home and rest... No need to put up much of a fuss with live bait. I figured we would troll a few Ballyhoo around and wind up settling on a few kings on a drift and call it a day. Well it became quite a day all right!! 25-30 minutes into the troll in 350' off Jupiter we boated a nice gaffer Dolphin and threw a Pilchard to his companion. The Bull grabbed it and we lost a NICE bull by the boat 30-40lbs?? Disappointed we reset and continued the search. 45 minutes later the port rigger goes off and the fight is on. Ballyhoo with a black and red islander hoolahood. We see a huge splash and Tom says...was that a big billfish. Another jump and my Brother and I look at each other and both say THAT'S the biggest Dolphin I have ever seen!! We quickly cleared the lines and Tom was in for the workout of his life. The fish jumped a few more times and we could not believe the size of this monster. We all screamed orders and advice at Tom as he huffed and puffed. At this point we all became the expert The fish was brought to the boat several times but I waited for the perfect opportunity to stick him. As he rolled on his side and gave up I stuck him and I must tell ya.... The 30' Grady Bimini has TALL gunnels and I could hardly get him over the side and into the boat. As the monster hit the deck he began to KICK our butts with each thrash of his tail and head we all got to the front of the boat and let him settle. Snapped a bunch of pictures and into the box he goes. He didn't fit!! 380gt box and he had to be curled inside the box. I figured 50-55lbs or so. Tom grabbed his 60lb Bogagrip and we hoisted him up and it bottomed it out! We found it hard to believe so we figure we will weigh him at the Marina. We set back up and 30 minutes later another nice gaffer goes in the box. 20lbs?? or so. We call it a day and moved into shallower water for a Cobia or King with no luck. 2 Bull shark hookups that ended with cut lines. Done!! Head to the Marina to a crowd that was impressed. Found the scale and we had a hard time believing 70lbs. Confirmed 3 times by multiple folks at the Marina 70 WOW!!!! Had the time of my life with my Brother John Wilson. Brian Moody and the lucky angler Tom Reyes. We measured the fish very carefully and we intend to get a mount. 60" long x 15" tall. What a day with West wind and all!

IMG_2542_4_1.jpg

IMG_2589_1.jpg

IMG_2595_1.jpg

IMG_2569_1.jpg

IMG_2570_1.jpg

IMG_2595_1-1.jpg

IMG_2595_1.jpg

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow! Its not until someone held the fish up could I get a true appreciation for the size. Congratulations on a great fish.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea it was kinda tough to get a handle of it's size until you picked it up.

Nice FISH!