8 people on Tournament 19?

jbessex

Reaction score
Curious to hear people's thoughts on Tournament 19 functional capacity. I believe this is the right layout for my family's needs--a nice balance of fishing funcionality and family adventuring, along with regular trailering. While there are only four of us, I also want to accomodate occasional guests. In that case, a total of 8 (4 adults and 4 kids,) would be the most likely scenario. I know there could be many other factors at play, like how much additonal gear/junk are we pack, but curious to hear from owners of tournament 19s who do cruise with 8 total on board (or not). Thanks.

276148317_10227869865118653_3848779989419355187_n.jpg

jbessex

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I'm aware that 8 people are permitted, but I was thinking more functionally from people who know/own these boats, whether that's actually an enjoyable or realistic capacity for a Tournament 19. On paper, seems like an ideal size. I would like to hear from people who love (or hate) these boats, really for any perspective you care to offer, capacity considerations included. Thanks again.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Inland lakes, or coastal? I had the 22 for 10 years, and I don't think I ever had 8 on board, maybe 6 adults. And that gets crowded, which is not why I go boating. I understand why 2 families with 2 kids want to do it, but you will have to balance your load, not too much weight ahead of the windshield. And it would have to be flat water in a 19, not waves and big boat wakes.

jbessex

Reaction score
Inland lakes, or coastal? I had the 22 for 10 years, and I don't think I ever had 8 on board, maybe 6 adults. And that gets crowded, which is not why I go boating. I understand why 2 families with 2 kids want to do it, but you will have to balance your load, not too much weight ahead of the windshield. And it would have to be flat water in a 19, not waves and big boat wakes.
Thanks for sharing. My primary use (with that passenger load) would be coastal/tidal river cruise to a sheltered beach, so little/no wake. If 6 on a 22' felt crowded, then that doesn't bode well for 8 on a 19'.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
8 people on any 19' boat (or even 24' boat for that matter) gets tight. As long as you're all friendly with each other and don't mind practically sitting on someone's lap, though, it's doable. Especially if it's only once in a while where you'll have that many.

Kennybuck

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have owned a 2000 GW 19’ Tournament with Yamaha 150 2 stroke since 2005. I have had 8 people on board a few times. I put a deck chair behind the helm chair which gives 8 seats. Put cooler at back middle and other dry gear in front left under storage. Also have right side onboard cooler you can use to store dry or use as cooler. If just traveling from one point to next then no problem. If fishing then it gets too crowded. Water skiing is doable. You are gonna have fun for sure whatever you do. It is more stressfull on captain with the more you have on the boat.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a friend with a 27' SeaHunt that frequently takes the family and grandkids for lunch - 7 or 8 people. This is in the back bay waters. Get's checked every time.

For the Coast Guard and State Police this is a red flag. They know that there is a good chance that they don't have enough life jackets of the proper size onboard. Flares are likely expired. 1095 weight limit. Can you stay under that?

Healthy harassment aside, can you do it - sure.- but be real careful.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My previous boat was a 21' Arima, of which yes I realize they're two completely different boats, but that boat had a maximum occupancy of 8 people or 1,400 lbs. My brother unfortunately passed away back in October of 2018 at the age of 34 from complications with cancer, and the next summer in 2019 we spread his ashes up at our beach cabin on Whidbey Island out on the water. I had 14-15 people out on the boat while we spread his ashes, and obviously wasn't something I'd do in rough conditions or even on a daily basis as it was just a one time thing. That being said, it was definitely a bit cramped but it wasn't anything that the boat couldn't handle and I had life jackets for everyone on board that wanted one, as well as had them ready in the unlikely event of an emergency. We trolled around for a little bit and while I wouldn't condone doing that on a daily basis, it "can" be done.

jbessex

Reaction score
My previous boat was a 21' Arima, of which yes I realize they're two completely different boats, but that boat had a maximum occupancy of 8 people or 1,400 lbs. My brother unfortunately passed away back in October of 2018 at the age of 34 from complications with cancer, and the next summer in 2019 we spread his ashes up at our beach cabin on Whidbey Island out on the water. I had 14-15 people out on the boat while we spread his ashes, and obviously wasn't something I'd do in rough conditions or even on a daily basis as it was just a one time thing. That being said, it was definitely a bit cramped but it wasn't anything that the boat couldn't handle and I had life jackets for everyone on board that wanted one, as well as had them ready in the unlikely event of an emergency. We trolled around for a little bit and while I wouldn't condone doing that on a daily basis, it "can" be done.

I appreciate all the perspectives, everyone. Mustang, I spent a week on Whidbey Island this past summer. First time there. I really loved it. That must have been a spcial gathering out there on those beautiful waters to celebrate your brother.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I appreciate all the perspectives, everyone. Mustang, I spent a week on Whidbey Island this past summer. First time there. I really loved it. That must have been a spcial gathering out there on those beautiful waters to celebrate your brother.
It was indeed very special, thanks. My grandfather taught both of us to fish when we were kids, and then he passed away in 2002. We'd always grown up fishing, owning boats as well as our beach cabin and then my parents sold their boat and I bought my first one in 2017, fished on it a couple of times with my brother before he passed away. It's funny because my dad asked me why I wanted the added expense of purchasing a boat and maintaining it because "for $26.5k you can go to the store and buy all of the seafood you want." I told him it's not because of the fishing per se, it's being out on the water remembering the times you had with the people that are unfortunately no longer with us. It sucked because unfortunately he was my only sibling but fortunately I do have my parents still around as well as other non-immediate family members and close friends that are always supportive, but especially at the time of his passing. It just goes to show how unfortunately nothing lasts forever... so enjoy life, enjoy those around you that you want to spend time with.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I agree with Hookup, a crowded boat always attracts the CG or the State Police. Make sure everything is up to date and the Captain isn’t partying to much at the sandbar.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a 265 express and I don't think I've had more than 6 persons onboard in 4 years.
I owned a 20 fter for 18 years. neverhad more than 6.

I have seen 20 fters with 8 people trying to fish...just stupid....or just trying to watch fireworks and then they have a terrifying ride in the dark as 100 boats all get underway at once

IMHO 8 people will not enjoy an experience on a 19 fter.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
We had a 192 and wouldn’t hesitate putting 8 people on it. If you have the fish box option with a cushion and back to back seating on the other side that’s 6 people sitting comfortably behind the windshield and two in the bow. Our 150 Etec was enough to ski with that load but if going with Yamaha 4-stroke get a 200 hp.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I have a 2001 192 and one of the things that I find most impressive about the boat is the way it holds its balance, even when people on the boat all move to one side (much different from other boats I've been on... particularly in this size-range... where you can feel the boat noticeably "tip"). That being said, I do a lot of my boating in coastal areas around Nantucket Sound where things can get pretty choppy... so I'd choose my days carefully and wouldn't likely fill the boat on a trip like that. For a nice day in the bay four adults and four kids (with all of the equipment as others have stated) would be a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I would absolutely not say the same thing about my last boat of the same size (a 2006 197 Seafox center console... that was a nice boat but didn't hold a candle to the 192 in terms of stability).

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
8 people on that boat is a lot, too much in my opinion. I've got a 228 and I fish it with 3 people, 4 is too cramped. I'm in the open Pacific, so different application.

I don't know if that boat drains to the outside, but mine does and I have problems with water coming in through the scuppers with just 3 people on it.