82 Grady Bimini Advice?

ray070752

Reaction score
Looking to purchase an an 82 Bimini...any areas or problems I should look for? Thanks for any advise in advance.
Ray

richie rich

Reaction score
82 is not new........you'll have to check everything on the boat, inside and out. Get a surveyor to look at the hull, structure, transom, electrical, fuel tank corrosion, engine etc...money well spent...expect to do at least some repairs or updating.

ray070752

Reaction score
82 Bimini

Thanks, I'm looking into a local surveyor...in the mean time does anyone know of any existing flaws in this model?

dlevitt

Reaction score
I had an '81 and it was a good boat. The 2 major things you will want to have inspected are the fuel tank, which is probably at the end of it's useful life (unless it was replaced) as well as the transom.

The transom was "capped" with a piece of aluminum and the fiberglass underneath wasn't properly enclosed. I was able to repair mine with a penetrating epoxy, but that may not be a permanent solution.

Oh yeah, like most older grady's, the cabin windows leak. Bottom line is it is a solid, no frills boat. If it checks out structuraly, buy it and run it for another 27 years.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Definitely want the transom, stringers, cockpit floor, thoroughly checked by someone that knows what to look for. If boat has trim tabs, or a transducer mounted on bottom rear of transom, removed one or more of the screws holding these items on and see if any water comes out. Check the screw you removed for signs of wet wood. If seller will not let you remove and reinstall a couple of these screws, run away as fast as you can. Walk around every inch of cockpit floor area checking for any soft spots. Especially on the non-removable areas. They will be very hard(expensive) to repair. Check bottom of boat for blistering and prior damage. A fresh coat of bottom paint should be viewed very suspiciously, as it could be hiding a multitude of severe problems.
Check wiring and electronics integrity. Boat is 27 years old, has wiring been butchered up? Check engine for compression, hours, etc..
This boat could be in very nice shape and give you trouble-free use for years, or it could be your worst nightmare, that you can't wait to get rid of, if you can. Be diligent, and check it out thoroughly, or have someone else check it. Just my opinion. Good luck, Mike.

ray070752

Reaction score
82 Bimini

Thanks everyone for the great advice...the cost of a survey was prohibitive...so this information is and will be very helpfull.
Ray