86' 204c bimini upgrade

Reaction score
hi guys, been a member for a while but never really had the need to post anything I felt would be of interest, until now
well, interest to myself anyway.
I wanted to gather opinions, I have owned by overnighter for some time and still love the boat, I have contemplated upgrading to something larger on occasions, but I do a fair amount of shallow water and tight quarters fishing as well as inshore ocean fishing which this boat is great for. I have young girls, so the cover is good for their plumbing issues otherwise I would just opt for a CC
the years are catching up to it and my tired canvas bimini and eisenglass is beginning to fail.
I am on the fence to replace same for same or to upgrade to a T-top and front / side enclosure.
has anyone done this, pros and cons after doing so
I am open to suggestions
thanks

gxsess

Reaction score
i have wrestled with the bimini on mine for few years. its in pretty bad shape. i use my boat the same as you do except i have 2 young sons. i wound up ordering a hard top from atlantic tower about a month ago for delivery in march. i just thought it would be easier not to have to raise and lower the top. with the boys on the deck i thought it would be easier to have the rigged rods overhead in rocket launchers jnstead of on the floor.

derx2

Reaction score

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Shady I've been thinking along the same lines.
I'm a new owner to an '87 204c and have two canvas bimini tops to use. The original white top is in good condition but the vinyl canvas portions have shrunk making it tight if not impossible to snap. The other is a larger generic blue canvas top with no provisions for sides being good for a sun shade only.
Dave that canvas work is truly first rate! I didn't see if you had an antenna mounted, mine is on the side of the cuddy and it has a look like it's going to get broken off by someone using it as a handhold. Its for that reason that I too have been considering a hard top. It'd be nice to get the antennas and rods up out of harms way.
I test rode a couple of boats with hard tops and they provide cover, and a very secure/comforatble handhold when walking fore and aft or just standing while running.
I do have one question. My boat moves along pretty good as its set up now (high 40s). Yes I know its a fishing boat but I like that its quick as we will use it for just running around and tubing too.
I wonder if the addition of a hard top would add enough weight or wind drag to significantly hurt its top end performance.
Anyone notice a difference in the way it performed after installing a hardtop?
Other than that concern (valid or not) I really thought the hardtop boats I was on were setup nice and extremely practical.
The other side is that unlike the soft top, once its mounted that's it you can't just drop it down or take it off.
I don't see that as a problem though and I'll probably end up mounting one myself if I can find a deal.
Mike.

Reaction score
gxsess said:
i have wrestled with the bimini on mine for few years. its in pretty bad shape. i use my boat the same as you do except i have 2 young sons. i wound up ordering a hard top from atlantic tower about a month ago for delivery in march. i just thought it would be easier not to have to raise and lower the top. with the boys on the deck i thought it would be easier to have the rigged rods overhead in rocket launchers jnstead of on the floor.

How was the install ?

Reaction score
Dave that is a really nice canvas job!!
Pretty close to my current setup, I had new glass done on front and side 2 seasons ago and said when top was ready I'd go for the T-Top , still thinking of stretching the dime for another year, tough decision, I know if I get it done I'll love it and be happy I did it, just may not be able to buy the fuel to go anywhere.
Thinking I may have a surveyor take a look over the hull to make sure all is well prior to going all in. Some things the eye can't see

gxsess

Reaction score
Shady Grady 20 said:
gxsess said:

How was the install ?[/quot

not getting it until mid march so i will let you know the results. looks pretty simple. 8 bolts. you just need to get it level. there are a bunch of good articles and how too tips on the atlantic website. the top itself is a couple hundred pounds so it should be relativley easy to move around with a couple guys. there is an article on their website that goes through how to build a wood frame to hold the top in place while yoi level iy and bolt it. thinks thats the route i am gonna go. the saleslady also told me they refer all thier instal work to a guy outta brooklyn who will do it for 400 bucks. buy she also said the tops for the 20 footers all small enough and light enough that most do it themselves.