86 204c Transom Project

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
family affair said:
Great work! Been there done that... on the same boat too!
We used Sea Cast, which I know some people aren't crazy about, but it worked well for us; the second time.

I didn't read your entire thread, but I have to tell you this just in case. When our transom went we cored it out and used the Sea Cast. It seemed rock solid... until we ran it. What we missed (or think we missed) was that the fiberglass on the inside had fractured. We had to core out the Sea Cast, fixed the fiberglass on the inside of the transom, and re-casted. All was well for 5 years, and we sold the boat.

Second time.... :wow You must have put in allot of hours on that job. I was seriously planning on seacasting mine or nida-bond (core). Did allot of research on doing it with sea cast over the 2 years I used it. The one thing I could not find was, info on how the transoms were holding up after it was done. Especially from the people who cored the wood out. I was almost 99.9% convinced that was the way to go for me, as my handy man skills are not that good. Or so I thought. Once I started tearing into this I realized that there is no way , absolutly no way I was going to get all that wood out any other way than removing the skin either inside or out. The bond to the existing glass need to be superb in order for this to work correctly. The only way that is goin to happen is getting every bit of old wood off the existing glass and being able to inspect the glass condition. Just cant do that with a 1.5 inx 3ft crevis. My advise to anyone doing this on this is, do the research, ask the pros and people who have done it before. Get a survey to make sure you dont have anything else that needs do be replaced before starting the projec . It is not that hard of a job and if you take your time with it, you will find yourself feeling much better knowing you did it the right way. Your way. Had my stringers not been dry I would have done this from the inside. The only thing I did not do was replace my fuel tank, it is not leaking but it is original and makes me nervous.
2yrs ago surveyor said it looks good for a 30yr old tank, but I have have decided to get it replaced by a shop in late Aug this year.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Second time.... :wow You must have put in allot of hours on that job. I was seriously planning on seacasting mine or nida-bond (core).

Between 2 people, it wasn't too bad. Most of the wood was delaminated from the fiberglass anyway, so it wasn't too tough to clean up.

As far as the tank goes, ours got a hole from placing pressure treated wood on top of the tank. We found out the hard way that aluminum and pressure treated lumber don't mix! If it weren't for that our 20 year old tank was in good shape.