'86 Gulfstream 232,

Barchiola

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post! We're in the market for something new to us and there's an '86 Gulfstream 232 with twin 2012 Evinrude e-tec 175's that are transom mounted. I guess I can call to ask the owner about how the transom is but about how likely is it there will be an issue with the transom if I go to take a look at it? It's kept in the water during the season.

Thanks!
Bart

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Really recommend a survey. A little money spent now could save big bucks in the future.

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Survey - it’s only as good as the surveyor.I highly suggest you find a qualified individual , you want references !

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Agree with both of the above. It is well worth knowing what you're buying - or avoiding. Or even having documentation to negotiate a fair price.

Barchiola

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. A survey would come after I've already looked at it and have decided I'm interested in buying it. Info that would help me to make a first assessment when I go take a look at it would be helpful but, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I should probably expect to find some rot considering the age of the boat. I haven't spoken to the owner yet so maybe it wasn't always left in the water, maybe rot was there but fixed when the boat was repowered, maybe I should just call the guy and ask him. :)

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Twin 2012 E Tec 175's? If those engines are in any kind of decent shape they could be valued at 8-10K each. That is probably the high end but depending on the asking price it may be a good value even if you have to do some work on the transom.
I have a 2006 E Tec that I have had great luck with. Let us know!

Reactions: Barchiola

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Twin 2012 E Tec 175's? If those engines are in any kind of decent shape they could be valued at 8-10K each. That is probably the high end but depending on the asking price it may be a good value even if you have to do some work on the transom.
I have a 2006 E Tec that I have had great luck with. Let us know!
I believe that number is quite “inflated “
Those motors are no longer in production.
Not much of a market for 2 stroke motors - I’d there was, they’d still be in production …

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Thanks for the replies. A survey would come after I've already looked at it and have decided I'm interested in buying it. Info that would help me to make a first assessment when I go take a look at it would be helpful but, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I should probably expect to find some rot considering the age of the boat. I haven't spoken to the owner yet so maybe it wasn't always left in the water, maybe rot was there but fixed when the boat was repowered, maybe I should just call the guy and ask him. :)
I would expect quite a few things - 1’easy thing to check quickly is the fuel fill hose. Get a flashlight and look under the gunnel at it.
Where I’m going with this is , the age of that boat - other systems will come into play,such as the fuel system and the electrical system .
As a consumer,I’d you’re not familiar with these systems ,you can guess the rest …

Not being stored in the water - that has little bearing on dry rot. Dry rot is a fungus,it comes from rain water. Saltwater actually works to preserve wood and freshwater actually bring dry rot.

a phenolic hammer is your friend - tap that hammer around on the transom, paying attention to scuppers , drain tubes , top of the transom - where the aluminum trim is.transducers installed - these are often a problem, along with trim tab hardware - these are areas that will bring moisture into the transom core. Using that hammer , tap the surfaces , you should hear a sharp distinct sound - if you hear a dull thud , you found a problem,that would be delamination.

sometimes an experienced, qualified marine tech can find way more problems than surveyors …

you need to be realistic about this - that boat is a 1986, it’s old ! 36yrs old , you need to expect to dump some money into that old girl , how much depends on you and being aware of “the point of diminishing returns” even those notes are 10yrs old…

again, be realistic …

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
that’s wishful thinking ….there’s a reason those motors aren’t in production any longer , not because they were good
Hey Jimmy......I know those numbers are definitely high but I am running an '06 225 pretty hard these days and enjoying every minute of it. I fish pretty hard....200 miles plus on a weekend with a few beer drinking fatsos and a load of fuel and ice...and have been trouble free. Plugs....lower unit lube....thermostats and a water pump kit every now and then has been it.
You are entitled to your opinion but my personal experience with my E Tec has been good.

Num1nole

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Also, be sure to verify the condition of all through hulls, and will water drain properly from front to back.