'87 254 Sailfish on Lake Seminole Florida

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
IMG_0510.JPG

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Hello Richie Rich! My 254 carries the standard 125 gallon fuel tank. Fuel burn actually averages about 6 gallons per hour on my typical fishing trips. I run fairly conservative power settings (normal cruise for me is 3200- 3400 rpm) and we could stay out 20 plus hours with no problem. I did a 15 hour run during the summer that included a few hours at higher than normal power(4000 rpm plus trying to out distance one of those sudden and nasty little Gulf of Mexico squall lines) total burn for this day was 85 gallons. A normal 15 hour trip is usually around 70 gallons. 8)

richie rich

Reaction score
JPJ...whats your average speed at that rpm with the I/O? Just trying to compare the fuel usage with my twin OB's....I first looked at an I/O but passed at it....went with twins for back up purposes...but always liked the I/O set up..

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
3200 rpm gets a speed of about 23-25 mph. 3400 moves her at about 25-27 mph. The day that I ran 4000 rpm we were getting around 30-31mph. I believe at full throttle 4800-5000 rpm it would probably around 35-36 mph. Would love to have twin 350's on this boat for the reliability issue. 8)

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Hey Buddy!

Hello there Captain, glad to see you pop up! Was getting ready to send out a search party. Would like to try and squeeze in another run before the years end. Heard some good reports on shallow water grouper lately! We need to go to C-Belle and hunt southeast to the shallow waters of Appalachee Bay! 8)

nauditq

Reaction score
She's a beauty, don't see many I/O's here. Getting some good #s from her. thanks for sharing
Dan

Barbender

Reaction score
There is a 92 25 Sailfish for sale up here with a Volvo inboard that I am taking a serious look at. The engine only has 600 hours which to me seems very reasonable. After seeing pics of yours it looks like it might make sense to move up to the bigger boat.

Desperado

Reaction score
My last boat (Wellcraft) had a fuel injected DuoProp 5.8L Vovlo I/O. I never had a single problem out of the motor or outdrive.

Barbender

Reaction score
Thanks for that Desperado. How many hours did you put on that motor? This engine is a 740 Penta. Will do some more research on it.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Sailfish

'Bender, hello again! Hello to you too Desperado! The extra foot in width and the slightly higher weight does make for a very comfortable ride. The extra width is a plus inside the cabin also. My local friend GW VOYAGER also has the Offshore 24 and it too is a great boat. I think you would like the Sailfish as well! I believe that model Volvo Penta is the big block engine with power to spare. 8)

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Crow's Nest!

Capt. B, Hello from NW FL! I think that the tall pedestal was possibly installed by the previous owner. I often speculated that he must have been kind of short. I had thought about taking a few inches off but found that it is the perfect height for me to lean back against if I want to run standing up.(leaning post) Also I found that if I am sitting in the Crow's Nest that visibilty over the bow is very good. Another plus is that the height if the seat allows me to put my feet on top of the storage locker which is quite comfortable. I decided very quickly that the high pedestal was just right! Good eye Capt. B 8)