87' Overnighter Fuel Fill Line

BigI

Reaction score
I'm replacing my fuel lines. I searched through the forum and read all the posts. Great info!

I looked at how my fill and vent lines are run. They exit the fuel tank coffin through the stringer/bulkhead on the port side then run to the stern. I'm wondering if they routed it this way so it would work for any power type, I/O or outboard. My boat is a bracket outboard. So, I would think a straight run through the aft bulkhead of the fuel tank coffin would be better and easier to install. Is there any reason I shouldn't go this route? I can't think of one.

Thanks,
Sal

BigI

Reaction score
What size hoses will I need? I know the fill is 1 1/2". What is the size of the vent hose?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I replaced all the lines when I replaced the tank on my 204C. I can tell you that getting to that top connection at the fuel fill neck is a real bear.
There is just no way to reach the nuts way up between the hose and transom. I ended up carefully drilling out the screw heads letting the bolts fall through. After reattaching the new hose I lowered the neck into place and used long screws that I could reach with lock washers and wing nuts. As I tightened the screws from above the wing nuts below rode up against the hose which kept it from spinning. It got the job done.
On the hose sizes I want to say the fuel line is 3/8" and the vent is 5/8".
Not wishing anything bad on you but check the top of your tank under the cross supports when you get the cover off. My tank looked great until I looked under the supports and found about two dozen dime sized holes hidden beneath. If the worst happens I got my new tank made by Patriot Marine. I had it made smaller at 60 gal. you could even go to 55 gal to make it fit easier yet. The original tank is about and inch bigger all around than the opening above amounting to a frustrating impossible puzzle to get the old tank out without cutting it which I did after a lot of flushing to prevent fumes. All said and done I completed the job with a new Racor filter.
Patriot had the best product at the best price delivered when promised. I cannot say enough good praise for them. Go with them you won't be sorry.
Good luck with it.
Mike

You can review my learning process here.... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21478

Nickzlb77

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I understand this is quite an old thread but curious when you say lower are you saying you fastened your clamps with the line thru the hole and lowered it back down? If so did you open up the hole at all? My clamps were turned facing backward so there was no way to loosen them, I had to cut the bezel off the fill carefully and drop the line with the neck still attached to get it out. What a debacle!

Some great info though. I’ve been lurking for a long time and this forum has been extremely helpful.