87 sailfish seems to sit low in water

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just put in my 87 sailfish 255 that I spent the summer working on and bought last fall. I put new twin mercury 200 4 strokes they weigh 475 lbs each i looked up the 87 Evinrude that were put on when the boat was new and it said the weighed 450lbs each plus i have 50 gallons of gas in the auxiliary tank My question is the one scupper is half way under water the other one is just under the water is that typical for a boat of that year I am trying to use the gas up in the back tank to get rid of some weigh but is it normal how it is sitting any advise from guys who owned gradys from that time frame would be great thx

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can't help with your question but a thought: Do you have 3 grp 27 batteries back there? If so maybe relocate them forward. Those 3 batteries are about 180 lbs.

Reactions: PointedRose

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can't help with your question but a thought: Do you have 3 grp 27 batteries back there? If so maybe relocate them forward. Those 3 batteries are about 180 lbs.
thanks for the suggestion

deepwaterdreamer111

Reaction score
Yes lots of weight back there. I had 200 etecs on open transom model. With two batteries and 75 gallon aux tank and two guys fishing I thought it was way to heavy . Replaced the twins with a single 300 G2 Etec and moved batteries forward outside of helm chairs. Very happy with performance and less weight back there and in my opinion a safer boat when fully loaded.