'87 Tournament - Possible Livewell Mod?

jb240

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I recently purchased my first boat, a very solid 1987 190 Tournament who needed some TLC and a repower. I've added a new 150 Tohatsu, and she runs great. Now I'm on to restoring all around both interior and exterior...sanding, gelcoat, new teak and cushions, etc.

That being said, I plan on doing a lot of fishing with this boat, so would LOVE to add a livewell somewhere. Worst case scenario, I will just use a cooler with an aerator. But I wanted to see if anyone else out there has seen any creative ideas for a livewell on this kind of smaller Grady? It wouldn't have to be too large - it would mainly be for peanuts, and occasionally adult bunker.

My first thought was to try and build one within the Transom well, but when I went to measure, it definitely wouldn't fit there and the well area is not flat. The boat came with a "fish box" in the center of the deck, but it's just a box that hangs down by the lips right underneath the hatch. I was thinking there might possibly be a way to run something thru-hull to the fish box area, or installation under one of the seats - but completely open to any suggestions anyone might have.

TIA!!

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I have a 2001 192 Tournament. Love the boat. I have seen a live well with a seat cushion behind the captain's seat on the boat but I don't have it on mine. Not sure if or where something like that can be purchased but it seems like a good idea. Glad to hear you like the Tohatsu. I'm repowering to a 140 Tohatsu over this winter so I'm hoping I'll be happy with it (replacing a Yamaha HPDI 2 stroke).

jb240

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have a 2001 192 Tournament. Love the boat. I have seen a live well with a seat cushion behind the captain's seat on the boat but I don't have it on mine. Not sure if or where something like that can be purchased but it seems like a good idea. Glad to hear you like the Tohatsu. I'm repowering to a 140 Tohatsu over this winter so I'm hoping I'll be happy with it (replacing a Yamaha HPDI 2 stroke).
Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking of trying to build something under one of the seats in the back, but i’ve seen those mods behind the captain seat too…that could be a possibility. Those tohatsu 140s are beautiful, that was my original choice but ended up getting a deal on the 150 i couldn’t refuse. Engine is so quiet and runs great, just finished the last break in hrs few days ago. hope you like yours

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking of trying to build something under one of the seats in the back, but i’ve seen those mods behind the captain seat too…that could be a possibility. Those tohatsu 140s are beautiful, that was my original choice but ended up getting a deal on the 150 i couldn’t refuse. Engine is so quiet and runs great, just finished the last break in hrs few days ago. hope you like yours
Appreciate it. Looking forward to getting out in the spring. I'm a little concerned going down in HP from the 150 to a 140 but the 140 is approximately 80 lbs. lighter than the current 150 so I figure I'll make up the loss of HP with that much less weight.

Good luck with the livewell. I suppose a cooler/livewell could always be mounted anywhere behind that captain's seat. There is a good deal of space between that seat and the stern seat. I usually strap a cooler down in that area... but actually installing floor mounts and securing a cooler (or livewell cooler) in that area might work well.

Reactions: jb240

Seajuice

Reaction score
Not sure you have the space but I have an '86 225 and I use a removable live well with a female connection to the raw water washdown pump.

jb240

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Not sure you have the space but I have an '86 225 and I use a removable live well with a female connection to the raw water washdown pump.
My boat is very bare bones, got it from a guy who really ONLY fished hard on it/ kept it right on a river in a private marina.... so there is not much detail on the interior and Def no washdown pump lol. That's another thing I plan on trying to build/ rig. Good idea to link that with the livewell/ rig them together. Thanks!